Yoshi's Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
My original bearded dragon, Bowser, that I acquired from craigslist ended up passing away due to a serious impaction. He'd only been in my home for a week, but I still cried for him when he died, poor little thing. I wasn't going to be discouraged, though, so several days later I went down to the friendly new pet store in my area to check out the babies there. I wiggled my finger at them and one of them was trying to catch it through the glass, and I decided that was the one I wanted. Came back that weekend and picked him up! It's Yoshi!

E4EgAqvl.jpg

h239x9kl.jpg

qVVPd0Dl.jpg

uuGacVGl.jpg

Had a little scare when he stopped eating for a few days, so I took him to the vet and it turns out he was just dehydrated! He's all better now and is eating well and less skinny. I'm not sure exactly how old he is, but I last measured him a couple weeks ago and he was about 6.5 inches long.

Sorry to hear about bowser, wish you well with Yoshi. he has beautiful colors similar to my Saphira. Ill have to get pictures tomorrow she just shed and is a little aggressive today.

EDIT: she let me pick her up
89878-3822669797.jpg

Volt

Original Poster
Aww, Saphira and Yoshi do have similar patterns! How old is she?

Seems I misremembered Yoshi's measurements last time! He was 5.5 inches, and is now 6 inches. He's also getting to be quite the chub! He's been gobbling up the phoenix worms. Gotta go to the store tomorrow to get some greens to see if he wants to try them. For those reading, how many times a week would you recommend dusting with multivitamins for a dragon his size? Also, I understand that phoenix worms are high in calcium, so I haven't been dusting them with calcium powder, but should I?

Sorry for the picture dump, but he is just very cute.

7WIyb7xl.jpg

dqXZ48bl.jpg

HJnmbDJl.jpg

d94D7xrl.jpg

Volt

Original Poster
My Yoshi finally shed! I was worried about him for a while as he didn't seem to be growing much lengthwise, and had never shed since I'd had him... But now that we have each other figured out it seems he's starting to get up to speed.

VyKeTjsl.jpg

0uDfnofl.jpg

Vee3pKql.jpg

GZxaj2fl.jpg

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
I love him...

Glad to see there's a fellow geek on here :D
My cat is named Yoshi, after initially adopting 2 brother cats my sister named Mario and Luigi and then Yoshi was rescued as a stray kitten.
My dragons are named Simon and Richter after the Castlevania series, looks like you're going with a Mario theme :wink:

I look forward to your journeys with Yoshi! But please, don't get him to eat by punching the back of his head
2607529_orig.jpg

Volt

Original Poster
Yes! Though Yoshi gained the nickname "Noot" somewhere along the way!

Here he is on the first day I brought him home vs. him today!

7AxhcV4l.jpg

smGxjYTl.jpg

...and growing! :blob8:

Volt

Original Poster
Just saw my first head bobs out of Noot! Guess my baby is growing up!

X64E9Bml.jpg

Volt

Original Poster
Finally starting to put on some weight after a diet adjustment! Coming up with different salad combos every week or so is... kinda more fun than I expected. This week's menu: collard greens and bell pepper, topped with strawberry and a butterworm!

wrp0KQol.jpg

Volt

Original Poster
He's crazy about strawberries. My sister was handing him a piece the other day and he just couldn't contain himself, he launched towards her and bit onto her thumb right along with the strawberry!

I'm trying to ease off the bugs now, at least a little. How many live meals do you think he should be getting at about a year old? And should the live meals be as large as before even though now he gets (and eats!!) salads, too? Currently I'm adding 1-3 worms to his dinner, OR one day of dusted crickets plus normal salads. Seems to be fine but I don't want to get his diet messed up again! :oops:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd still give him all the bugs he wants in about 10 min or so but just once a day. Over the next 6 months or so try easing back to once or twice per week while still giving a nice big salad every day. That should be the bulk of his food but a treat worm here and there is good too =)

Volt

Original Poster
Thanks for the help! I think I might try dubias next. I used to feed him BSFL but I guess he outgrew them, even the jumbo ones he just inhales and it leads to... very interesting poop... :shock:

Bonus: New baby gecko, Sticky

SOcZiC0l.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom