Skywalker's a Dork

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm pretty new to owning reptiles.

I had a snake when I was younger (but you know...when you're a kid, your parents "help" you. And by help I mean it's basically their pet until you grow up and know what you're doing.)

My uncle, whom I am very close with, has always had reptiles. Snakes, lizards, turtles, tortoises- and he's prone to rescuing and rehabilitating them before sending them off to new homes. At least he used to. He hasn't had much time lately.

As a self-proclaimed cat person living in a house where everyone is horrendously allergic to cats, I started looking for other options. I've always liked reptiles, and I always felt a pull toward bearded dragons (as well as snakes, honestly) and my interest was well known by family who gifted my with Skywalker this Christmas of 2016.

So far I've noticed a few things.

this lizard is a cat.

He likes to perch on the high places of his viv, and peer down and out of the corner of his eye at anything and anyone passing by- with the occasional menacing side-squint.

Chases prey with a raised tail and wide eyes.

Likes to be held and petted...but only when he wants to be held and petted, not right at this moment thank you and no- not right there. Yes, I know right there was okay yesterday, but not right now. Maybe tomorrow.

Will fall asleep literally anywhere, on anything.

Does the warm-kitty slow-blinking 'ahhhh yes' face when basking.

In addition to this, I've noticed what I can only describe as Skywalker "practicing" beardie behavior...

sometimes in the morning, or at night, after he's nice and toasty warm he'll perch on his log or hammock and slowly puff his beard. Not all the way inflated, just kinda ...poof. a couple of times, and then one big p00f to finish it off.

It's not black or anything. And he's not dark. It's like he's doing yoga or something.

And I've caught him a few times now doing sort of head-bobbing...but like...halfway. He bobs down and freezes...and slooooowly sits back up ....and then bobs up reallyfast the rest of the way. And then he'll tilt his head and look around like "...did anybody see that?"

funny little lizard, he is....or she.

quite frankly, I... o_O I don't know if Skywalker is a Luke or a Leia yet.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
You're lucky he(?) likes collard greens. That's one of the most nutritious veggies for them anyway :D

GlassesTho

Original Poster
Well, Skywalker is not at all impressed with Phoenix Worms. :lol: :roll:

He wants the crickets and the roaches- but that's okay! It was worth giving it a try to see if he liked them.

of course...now I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this cup of worms he doesn't seem to want. o_o

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
We had the same problem with a small cup of leftover superworms after my beardie demonstrated that he wasn't willing and/or able to chew them carefully enough not to end up with a live one crawling around in his head. (Lovely afternoon at the vet's trying to figure out where it went -- we're not doing that again).

So I did some research on the internet and found out they're fit for human consumption, and my crazy husband just had to try them. So I put the rest of them in the freezer (an easier death, maybe, than getting chomped by a bearded dragon?), and one morning I fried them in olive oil and he ate them for breakfast. Maybe I should have taken pictures... :puke:

I'm not sure if Phoenix worms are edible by humans, but if not, or if you don't have any family members who are as crazy as my husband, maybe you could find someone else who has a critter, bearded dragon or otherwise, that likes them. I'm not sure either how long it takes for them to morph into black soldier flies or whatever they do -- maybe some of the other experts around here will have some other ideas about what you can do with them.

Meanwhile, at least there are a few things that Skywalker will eat that are also readily available :)

GlassesTho

Original Poster
SHBailey":1pmqwq0y said:
We had the same problem with a small cup of leftover superworms after my beardie demonstrated that he wasn't willing and/or able to chew them carefully enough not to end up with a live one crawling around in his head. (Lovely afternoon at the vet's trying to figure out where it went -- we're not doing that again).

So I did some research on the internet and found out they're fit for human consumption, and my crazy husband just had to try them. So I put the rest of them in the freezer (an easier death, maybe, than getting chomped by a bearded dragon?), and one morning I fried them in olive oil and he ate them for breakfast. Maybe I should have taken pictures... :puke:

I'm not sure if Phoenix worms are edible by humans, but if not, or if you don't have any family members who are as crazy as my husband, maybe you could find someone else who has a critter, bearded dragon or otherwise, that likes them. I'm not sure either how long it takes for them to morph into black soldier flies or whatever they do -- maybe some of the other experts around here will have some other ideas about what you can do with them.

Meanwhile, at least there are a few things that Skywalker will eat that are also readily available :)

ewwww! Lolol

Yeah I don't know anyone that would eat them if it were safe anyway...my uncle has critters, but he's a few states over and OUT of state on a vacation right now. so maybe if they're still good when he gets home, I'll ask if he wants them.

GlassesTho

Original Poster
89905-9355019196.jpg

89905-8815228673.jpg

89905-2595685516.jpg

Some more silly pictures of Skywalker. He really likes that wood piece. :lol:

I'm noticing he doesn't seem to 'see' very well though? If I don't place food right in front of/next to him, he doesn't notice it until it's practically crawling on his front toes. And even then, if he's looking up, he doesn't seem to see it until I pick it up and wave it by his eyeballs.

*puts on sleuthing cap* More observation needed. o0

Regardless, he's adorable.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Cute little guy.

Their eyes are on the sides of their head so they have lousy depth perception and can sometimes miss something that's right in front of them, especially if it's not moving. His vision is probably more or less normal for his species.

GlassesTho

Original Poster
So, holy crap, guys.

11 days ago he weighed 19 grams. Now he weighs 31.

I think he likes those dubias just a bit :lol:

Needless to say I'm not too worried about him "not eating enough"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom