Shiro's great adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I would like to introduce my new baby beardie, Shiro (it means white in Japanese) becuase he or she is a white hypo beardie.

Really happy to have him/her and I hope questions and answers on this post will help other people that have a baby beardie.

To kick it off she/he is stunning and very cheeky already! Took dubia from my hand without blinking and jumped onto her hammock and is happily watching her new tank.

So far so good and vet check next week and every six months from there on.

My beautiful girl Tengu will be sadly missed but she taught me a lot and she will always be in my heart and memories, RIP Tengu chan we love you so much.

81643-5623108963.jpg

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
So with all the conflicting advice out there I have some questions for a baby beardie as it is my first actual baby.

1. How many dubia (not bigger than the space on her head) a day?
2. Temps........ wow so many different opinions out there its crazy!! Babies should have a basking spot of 105 - 110 and why do they need it hotter?
3. Water should be given everyday?
4. Calcium given every day/twice a day?
5. Vitamin powder once a week?
6. Veg everyday but a small amount or every few days?

So yes I had a dragon for 2 years but she was juvenile going on adult when I got her and I am so paranoid of doing anything wrong with the baby so that's why i am asking/double checking.

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
So this is a very odd sleeping position!

First night in a new tank. Standing up in the corner......... :shock:

81643-6087260968.jpg

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Welcome Shiro, you are the cutest little dragon and love the sleeping position. I have a few that used to do that before they got so big and plump!

as many as he'll eat in a 15 minute twice a day. And they eat alot.!

2. Temps........ wow so many different opinions out there its crazy!! Babies should have a basking spot of 105 - 110 and why do they need it hotter?
I've never figured that out. Imp doesn't like it over 105, so he settled at 102. I think it has to do with rapid digestion. So try 105, see how he likes it, then put it up or down. If he stays under the light for ages, then it's the right temp.

6. Veg everyday but a small amount

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Welcome Shiro, you are the cutest little dragon and love the sleeping position. I have a few that used to do that before they got so big and plump!

as many as he'll eat in a 15 minute twice a day. And they eat alot.!

I've never figured that out. Imp doesn't like it over 105, so he settled at 102. I think it has to do with rapid digestion. So try 105, see how he likes it, then put it up or down. If he stays under the light for ages, then it's the right temp.

Baths should be given every day as the high temps on such a small body will lend to dehydration. See if you can teach Shiro to drink water by syringe, too. He'll need lots of water to keep hydrated and to help digest his food.

Calcium need 5x a week, weather it's powder on food or liquid by syringe.
Twice a week, one meal on each day.

6. Veg everyday but a small amount
Yes, very tiny pieces of veg/salad daily.

He'll do very well, he already seems acclimated to his new home. I'm so glad! More pictures!!!

Such a beautiful baby! I followed along on your other thread, but never commented. You will be fine. Babies are a lot of fun. It's also fun to see others expression when they see how much a baby can grow from week to week. Enjoy Shiro!

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Morning :)

Second day with baby Shiro :)

This morning she looked around and then jumped up onto her rock and then jumped onto her hammock and waited for food. I fed her an hour after lights on.

She did only eat 8 baby dubia and then jumped back to basking area so I am guessing that means shes had enough?

I tried water from syringe and she was a little scared but quickly realized I wasn't poisoning her and came for some and then backed off repeat, repeat. She had about 5 drops and considering her size I guess its enough.

So at the pet shop she was given 5 crickets a day only so I guess she is used to that so 8 dubia is a big difference. I will give her more later

Before sleep......... water or food should be....2 hours or more? Again conflicting advice about this

Thank you

PS as far as baths go........... she is sooooooooooooo jumpy and fast and I mean super fast so baths are out for now. She is so quick it is crazy!!! Syringe for a week and try a shallow bath after that and see what happens.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I'm so glad she's fitting in so well. Have you measured her and weighed her yet. How old is she? She should be eating more, so 3 offerings a day of 8 dubia works out really well. If she doesn't eat, don't force her, she will.

And 2 hours before bed should be last feeding and 2 hours of basking, then bed if she's tired.

So you think she's a she? :D You can really tell by pulling her tail up 90 degrees (doesn't hurt and see if there's a tiny bump above her vent in the middle. That means a girl. If there's no middle bump, then boy. Sometimes the female bump is too small to when they're tiny.

I'm so glad she got the gist with the syringe for water, that is great news :D

As for baths, put her in a sink that she can't jump out of. Put a facecloth soaked with water in the bottom for her to get a footing and let her soak. If she jumps up, she can't get out.

I'm so glad she's enjoying herself and I love that she jumps to basking, then hammock, so she's getting to know her way around.

Now to get more pictures of her!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Shiro is a real beauty, looks like a little ball of energy ! Babies are a lot of fun, she'll bring some light to your life after the sad event with Tengu. Right now it all sounds good, and I agree that as long as she's drinking from a syringe she'll be fine without baths. I raised tons of babies and watered them via spray bottle every day, they all drank that way. Only bathed if they got soiled, but they seemed pretty good at avoiding their poo if I didn't get to it quick enough. I wouldn't feed or water for about 3 hours before lights out, 2 hours if it was just a few bugs because I was out all day and couldn't get a late day meal in.

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Cant actually weigh her or measure yet as she jumps like a ninja!!! Yesterday she opened her mouth when tried to get her. Too early I think.

She is 2.5 months old and very inquisitive. I tried to give more water and she bit the syringe!! :lol: I think she will understand it soon. I gave a bowl of water in the tank as thats what she had in the pet shop. Better than nothing for now I guess.

The jump to rock to hammock is very cute! She knows the height and it is her "okay feed me" area. Definitely nervous but that's expected.

Heres a question. Dos it stress them out grabbing them and bathing them at this age? I don't want her to think I am the devil that comes to stress her out. Is it just a baby thing with no trust yet? Should I give it a week or so of not streesing her out? Just feed and water?

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
AHBD":2zc97yt9 said:
Shiro is a real beauty, looks like a little ball of energy ! Babies are a lot of fun, she'll bring some light to your life after the sad event with Tengu. Right now it all sounds good, and I agree that as long as she's drinking from a syringe she'll be fine without baths. I raised tons of babies and watered them via spray bottle every day, they all drank that way. Only bathed if they got soiled, but they seemed pretty good at avoiding their poo if I didn't get to it quick enough. I wouldn't feed or water for about 3 hours before lights out, 2 hours if it was just a few bugs because I was out all day and couldn't get a late day meal in.

HI there
Thank you and yes she is a ball of HYPER energy!!!! She is hiding now as the syringe pissed her off :D Spray bottle, as in drops?

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Yes, give her a week but she has to have baths during that time. Try putting her in a sink that is too high for her to jump out of. But give her a few days. Maybe she'll bathe in the water dish like other baby dragons do. You'll just have to take it a day at a time, I just don't want her to get dehydrated, they do that quickly as babies. Imp was 3 mo old when I brought him home and he had baths from day one. He always tried to jump out, but he was so tiny, I was able to get him into a bowl that he couldn't jump out of & that made him sit still and soak.

They will and do stress out as babies, no matter what you do. So just make sure she gets what she needs, she will get over it. Try to just put your hand down in front of her to see if she will get on your palm. That's another thing to try.

I also recommend that people put something they've worn (like an old t-shirt) that you can put in her tank, so she can smell you all the time. Some people find an old one and cute squares out, stack them up and make a bed for their new dragon.

Do you have a medicine dropper? You can use that for water, too. Spraying is good but outside of her tank so make sure humidity doesn't get too high. Might want to rethink on the water dish, too, that also can cause humidity to rise.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Spraying the baby is just a slight, gentle stream on her head. There's a lot of misunderstanding about it raising humidity. You just spray, stop, repeat as she drinks. If any water puddles, you just use a paper towel to mop it. I raised 1,000's of babies that way, no baths were given unless they were dirty, which could be a month at a time [ and they shed very quickly ] and humidity was not affected. Baths aren't at all necessary for a baby, mine were robust, fast growing and well hydrated, but some people prefer to bathe their babies and that's O.K, but some babies that are stressed can aspirate water very easily.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Thanks for letting me know that, I've never raised a baby, 3 mo old rescues are the youngest I've ever had. I've never sprayed any of my dragons because they've always been good about baths, and drinking from a syringe but being older that might be why. So David, here's proof that spraying babies gently towards their mouth works well. Great to have an alternative to bathing. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom