Shiro's great adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I would like to introduce my new baby beardie, Shiro (it means white in Japanese) becuase he or she is a white hypo beardie.

Really happy to have him/her and I hope questions and answers on this post will help other people that have a baby beardie.

To kick it off she/he is stunning and very cheeky already! Took dubia from my hand without blinking and jumped onto her hammock and is happily watching her new tank.

So far so good and vet check next week and every six months from there on.

My beautiful girl Tengu will be sadly missed but she taught me a lot and she will always be in my heart and memories, RIP Tengu chan we love you so much.

81643-5623108963.jpg

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Full disclosure here: I haven't been able to work for about 15 years now because I suffer from unpredictable, debilitating, and apparently incurable episodes of depression and fatigue. I lasted for only 17 years in the work force, and burned out twice at two different jobs. And if it weren't for my husband, who is still willing and able to be the sole breadwinner for both of us (and the critters, who get a little expensive sometimes), and help me with reptile care as well, I wouldn't be able to keep even one bearded dragon and/or one snake. So what you manage to do still sounds overwhelming to me by comparison, but I have to remind myself that everyone is different when it comes to how much they can do.

I guess I may have created a little confusion about the thermostat. I was actually talking about the wall furnace that heats our whole house (as long as we keep the bedroom doors open). For the reptile enclosures I have a couple of those systems that are designed for monitoring the weather (temperature and humidity) with the main console that you can hang on the wall and three channels for the remote units (wireless, and I guess that's what they call "probes") that go in the terrarium, one at the warm end, one at the cool end, and an extra one for the middle or wherever. It works pretty well -- I can monitor the temps all day by checking the main consoles and running through the channels, but the interesting thing is the old Radio Shack set that I've had for 14 years is designed better than the newfangled one I got for the bearded dragon 4 years ago. Too bad they don't make the "old reliable" model anymore. I'm probably going to have to replace the newer one sooner or later, so I may look into the Accurite system when the time comes. Meanwhile, I don't have the little remote units nailed down, so Puff and Squirmles let me know where the hot spots and cold spots are by moving them around. Puff in particular seems to like to use them for pillows and/or sit on top of them so that they're effectively in the "shade", but my husband says that lets me know his body temperature-- :? Whatever. At least I have a pretty good idea about the temps.

I've never been ok with trying to put the lamps inside the tank with the critters, although I know that some people manage it successfully, but I've got a UV meter and I've determined that the screen top cuts out about 30% of the UVB -- it's a fairly coarse mesh. That's why I got the T5 HO. Puff has never tried to jump out so I could probably get away with leaving the screen off, but I wouldn't put it past him so I just feel safer with it on. As for the snake, I could lose him through the tiniest little hole anywhere in the enclosure, but fortunately he doesn't need the high intensity UVB light. My husband built light racks to clamp the heat lamps on over both of the enclosures, and the hoods for the beardie's UVB tubes just sit on top of the screen. It seems to work -- they both seem reasonably healthy, even after Puff's episode with adenovirus 2 years ago.

You and I are about the same age -- I turn 60 this year. Congratulations on quitting smoking -- I know that's not easy. I'm lucky I never got started, although my older sisters both did, and both quit when the surgeon general's report came out saying it was harmful, many years ago now. I used to follow my sister around asking for a puff of her cigarette (stupid little kid wanted to do what big sister was doing) until she finally let me try it and I just about coughed my fool head off. She's sorry for that now but I thank her for teaching me a very effective lesson, and it wasn't like I didn't ask for it.

My husband has asthma and is severely allergic to anything with fur. That's actually how we became reptile people, and how I learned that (contrary to popular belief) you can cuddle a snake or a lizard -- it doesn't have to be warm and fuzzy. So his asthma is currently under good control and he rarely has to use his rescue inhaler, I haven't had bronchitis for a while, and I've discovered bearded dragons and corn snakes (just one of each) :D

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I snuggle all my beardies regularly and kiss their beards and it's never made me sick. I handle my cresties every night (I have 3) and also my leo as much as possible. She's new to me. I've had 1 crestie, Bunny, for 7 years, she's now 11 years old. The other two, who share a tank, are sisters about a year or so old that I got from a friend. Same with my Leo, her name is Miss Leona :mrgreen:
So I have my dragons in the am and my cresties and leo when I get home from work at 9:15p. I only have 4 years to go to retire and I'm really hoping I'll make it so I get all my pensions. I just can't wait to get there! I've been off work with back pain & fatigue, plus not able to keep food down, which I can for the last 2 weeks. I had an MRI done on my lower spine, have osteoarthritis everywhere, so now have another MRI scheduled Apr 21 for the upper part of my back. This would explain the pain I go through. I'm looking for a natural alternative to codeine, as I'm allergic to everything else.

I'm also allergic to dogs and cats with fur, but my son's dog, who's staying with me (marital split and he's staying with a friend with 3 cats, so I get to keep the dog and he comes over after work to walk her. He's a concrete/carpenter construction worker so we have opposite shifts).

I live alone, my hubby died 5 1/2 yrs ago and I've loved being on my own. My son moved in for a few months before he found another place to stay during the week but my 2 grandkids, Safara 2 and Leo 3, come over Friday night with my son and stay until Sunday, to give his ex a break, she has them alone all week. So my life has become very busy, but at least I have my peaceful household back from Sunday to Friday night. I feel more relaxed living alone I have to admit, got very used to it.

The accurite can be found in any gardening centre at hardware stores, or Walmart. It's not very expensive from what I've been told. I have a temp pen that I got when I bought some UVB lights. The reason for knowing what the basking temp is to make sure your dragon digests his food. But if he's pooping regularly and eats well, then you're good. Mine all like to be around 95F, they hate being too hot so their basking spots are on one side of the 40 gallon tanks they're in and they have the rest of the tank to run around when they're not running around the living room. They all have very minimal furniture, so lots of space for them, as I live in a 1 bedroom apartment and they're all in the living room. So couldn't get bigger than 40 gallon. I actually had more dragons at one point, we had a 2 bedroom apt 7 years ago, but had to go down to 5 before moving in here. Because I rescue I've lost alot of dragons to all sorts of illnesses, my vet has learned alot from my dragons. Now I have 4 healthy dragons, Gabriel is dealing with a huge aneurysm in his belly, can't be removed either as the arterial wall that weakened is near his heart. So I give him the best life I possibly can right now. I rescued him from a pet shop when he was about 1 1/2 yrs old, he's now 6 and when he's gone I'm going to miss him sooo much. He loves to snuggle and rest his face on my cheek, he's so sweet.

I'm sorry you have to deal with so much but so glad you have an understanding husband. Did you apply for Social Security benefits? You wouldn't get alot but it would help some, right?

My hubby was American, and was on pension before he died (liver cancer) so I'm eligible for a widow's pension when I near retirement. My sis is going to take me down there to apply when the time comes.

I'm thinking we should move this over to my thread, though, here's the link. It was started in Feb 2010 and has over 500 pages, my journal of my life and my dragons.
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=123266&start=7995

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I was wondering the same thing, have you been away? Gabriel is still with me, doesn't seem to be getting any worse and still runs around in the living room. Makes me happy that he's still with me.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Wow. Gabriel is some kind of a miracle. I hope you will both be able to continue to enjoy whatever time he has left.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
It's been two months so was wondering if you were ok. Hope all is well & that Shrio is still growing. Let me know how you're doing.

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnggggggggggggggg time

So much has been going on I wont even bother typing it as it will take up all the space on this site!!!

Shiro is doing fine, he is 415g now and a very funny boy. He loves watching the cats doing stupid cat things and is very comfortable. He isn't eating much nowadays which I am not sure about. He is one year old now so it is time to adjust everything I guess. It is getting hot here so 75w bulb was put in yesterday and temp is a steady 91 and he seems very active.

Yesterday was 26 degrees so he had a bath and the went on the balcony and enjoyed himself for 20 minutes or so. He doesn't like train noise which is understandable. I don't think he is white, maybe as a baby but now he seems white ish.

Cats keep jumping on his roof as its nice and warm, in the process of building a roof over the tank so they cant annoy him.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hope all is well and great to know Gabriel is still with us :D

A picture of Shiro from a couple of months back.
81643-1515740790.jpg

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
It is so great to hear from you and a year old, how is that possible?
I can see what you mean by the colouring, that's to be expected, there is always some colour in there that will come out. Only a Zera is a true white from what I've seen. Either way, you have a wonderfully healthy and beautiful dragon!

And yes, Gabriel is still with me, he walked across the living room and stopped at all the things I'd put on the floor. My granddaughter left her large giraffe stuffie on the living room floor, so I kept it and the dragons love how soft she is. the ramp is still in place but no wood leading up to it, better anyway. Eric took his TV back for his and Traci's bedroom, so I'm looking for one for them again, one day, when I can afford it.
11887-1666518846.jpg
Gabriel took out the garbage for me,
and before that Nathaniel did the same thing.
11887-4776665587.jpg

Everyone is doing well, they've been shedding their faces mostly, but Castiel is starting sheds on hands, too. He's very miserable and doesn't really do much in his tank, since he woke up from brumation. Otherwise he's fine, but I have to feed him now.

Imp is still a bad eater, and very skinny. He's also very active, so I might need to cover the front of his tank, too, so he can't see Gabriel. He already has had the side blocked so he can't see Nathaniel. I'm not sure what to do with his eating, he continues to have to have bugs put into his mouth, then I have to make sure the bug stays in his mouth. He's not digesting well, either, even though I give him a good probiotic. Then this week I caught a cold, plus spring allergies caught up with me, so have been home a week and home another while seeing if Ventilin (puffer) will do the trick of stopping the coughing.

So biggest news is that Tara has left Eric with the kids full-time. It's been since March 31 that she took off. Doesn't have a place to live, so is staying with someone and yes, is working, so Eric is demanding child support. He's going to apply for some gov't help, too, as he was off work when this happened & hadn't found another job yet. Anyway, I've been helping him with food$ for the kids, but told him to go to the food bank, too. He's allowed, being unemployed with 2 kids. I'll remind him again tomorrow. That's why we have food banks. This is just the same ongoing drama. At least Eric contacted her dad & mom, and they've taken the kids a bit to give Eric a break. They're thrilled as Tara had cut them off from seeing the kids & Eric was afraid to go behind her back, but she forced his hand, he needs help with the kids and this is working out well. They are better behaved with Eric and Traci in a 1 bedroom, than they were in the 3 story townhouse in Langley, where they lived before Eric left. Tara was kicked out, it was final last week but she got a month extension so she can empty the house. So Eric got all the kids clothes. I also bought them bunk beds, which they love and that fit well into the living room, which is huge. So they're making this work even though it was a shock that Eric had the kids permanently for awhile, no idea for how long, either. And the drama continues....

It was getting worried about you when I didn't hear from you, so thank you for writing back. And thanks for the picture of your big Shiro, I wouldn't have recognized him! Imp says to say hi
11887-8242873815.jpg
Imp is telling me how much he doesn't like baths and that I shouldn't bother in the future...he wishes :lol:

My dad will be 90 on May 24, so we're going to get a get together for him to celebrate. I'm hoping somewhere outside but it hasn't been that great weather, we've had a very long winter and spring is just getting here, but it's still rainy and cold alot of the time. We had 8 small snowstorms altogether this winter, about 5' of snow in total, which is alot for us! So it's great to hear songbirds morning and night and seeing lots of dogs out being walked. That's Bella's favourite time, meeting other dogs. And it's official, I've adopted Bella. Not sure for how long, hopefully forever and she can visit Eric and the kids (and Traci's 2 cats LOL). But here's the latest picture of Bella:
11887-1264958657.jpg

I won't go on anymore, there are pictures posted on my site, if you have a minute.
Hope to hear from you soon!

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Shiro looks all comy and cozy and contented and cute snuggled up in his little hide in the photo. :love5: And very pretty coloring, whether you call it "white" or whatever.

Adjusting their feeding schedule while they're growing can be like trying to hit a moving target. :? Or even as they get older and other health issues arise. Our beardie's off his normal feeding schedule too, getting roaches with antibiotics every other day now since last Saturday and for the next 3 weeks, but not losing his appetite so far. Our vet says he's a good healthy weight, but suspects an infection in the bones in some of his fingers and toes.

I'm glad to hear that Gabriel is still doing well, but I hope you can figure out what's going on with Imp before he gets any skinnier. At least he's still alert enough to give you "The Look" when he doesn't like his bath. :roll:

It sounds like you're a lot like me, Deb -- I've figured out that I can get a cold and recover fairly well, or I can live with allergies, but if I have both at the same time, I'm liable to end up in the emergency room sucking on one of those "nebulizers". According to allergy tests I had a few years ago, I should be miserable all summer, as well as year round (dust mites in the house, etc), but my experience has been that May is usually my worst month, coming up. The best way to describe the condition of my sinuses is to say that I have a little snake who likes to hide in empty Kleenex boxes, and I keep him well supplied. :wink: but I've been lucky enough not to need inhalers for the last few years. You can't really live in a glass bubble and keep yourself away from all the allergens and germs, so the meds are the next best thing if they work for you. I hope you're getting better.

Sorry to hear that your family is going through all that drama. It sounds alot like some of the stuff that goes on with my sister's grandchildren, and it's probably a good thing my husband and I never had any human children because I don't think I could have handled it. I hope you can all work something out so that the kids (and the cats and dogs and other critters as well) will at least have a stable home and at least one or two good parents or relatives to take care of them for the long term.

Spring finally seems to be in full swing here too -- lots of sun lately. The snow is melting fast and the "glaciers" in our yard are retreating. :D But we're not out of the woods yet -- we've been known to get a setback in the form of a big snow dump late in the season, so we'll see.

Hope you all had a nice Easter. Take good care of yourselves, your families, and your beardies, everyone. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom