The Fitz and the Fool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there forum-goers!

This will be the central location for all things Fitz related.

This is the Fitz, I am the Fool in love with him already. (If you've read Robin Hobb at all, I'm sure you see where this is from, and where Fitz's name comes from)
image_5.jpeg

He is my first reptile of any kind so I did many months of research prior to committing(it helped that my husband wanted me to hold off until our new flooring was installed in our apartment so that there wouldn't be as much disruption). Over time my plans for him changed, everything from what kind of doors to install on the enclosure, to what kind of flooring, whether to do a Styrofoam background(still considering doing this), what I would feed him, what kind of lights to buy (MVB or heat bulb and UVB tube). There is a lot of information out there and a lot of misinformation.

Fitz is what the breeder called a neon, though of course she referenced a bunch of genetic mumbo jumbo that I'm not clear on, I'll get that from her one of these days.

I picked him up on Saturday evening, so today is my third full day with him. He is currently living in a large Rubbermaid tub with papertowel so that I can monitor his health, poop, and eating habits for a few weeks prior to moving him into his final home:

IMG_0863.jpg

This is not yet complete, it still needs the tracks to be installed (currently awaiting shipment), glass doors and some more substrate. Once the tracks and glass are in I will also introduce the clean up crew (bioactive substrate). The above is basically what it looks like now, except I've added some plants and Fitz's temporary home is sitting inside it so I didn't have to remove his UVB light from the main enclosure.

He is obviously still settling in, but he has not yet missed a meal, eating his bugs like a champ and some greens. Not the huge amounts of bugs I've heard of yet, but a decent number twice a day. Pooping on the regular and looks normal with no visibly undigested bits.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's good that his appetite is healthy and he's pooping regularly. How is he settling in otherwise? Are you enjoying your time with him so far?

quyllur

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He's awesome! I love looking in on him and seeing him basking and eating his greens. The first two days he didn't really want me to watch him eat his bugs so I had to step away where he couldn't see me then wait for the scuffle sound then drop another bug in and repeat. Today I watched him hunt all 11 of his dinner crickets after he had his first short bath! He wasn't keen on the bath at first but settled in quickly. I kept it short and sweet.

He is starting to shed as well but it hasn't affected his appetite. Ate nearly all his greens by the time I got home and then the 11 crickets as well.

image_6.jpeg

Picture from today after bath and dinner.

In other news my tracks finally arrived and I lost no time in installing them.

image_7.jpeg

quyllur

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Fitz ate 11 dubia roaches and two small superworms this morning. Tonight I will get him out and weigh and measure him.

quyllur

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
image_8.jpeg

Finely chopped pears and green beans. Ready to go in the freezer and then be used to top fresh greens to help with variety. I have a squash that I'll do tomorrow as well.

Fitz ate a hearty breakfast this morning, though he didn't eat as much dinner as he has been. He continues to be adorable and I am trying to help him get used to me slowly by putting my hand in his tub and just sitting there, getting closer to him if he relaxes.

quyllur

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Mr. Fitz being all kinds of adorable this morning.

image_9.jpeg

Sorry about the lighting. It will be easier to take pictures of him when he is in his big house.

quyllur

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I got Mr. Fitz out this morning for a weigh and measure.

He comes in at 23g & 21cm.

IMG_0900.jpg

Yesterday I put in more substrate, about a 50/50 soil sand mix. The lower layer is heavier on the soil and has the coconut coir in it. I had also added some plants which I replanted in the deeper substrate. The Hens-and-chicks plant is really taking off.

I haven't decided if these are the pieces of wood and configuration I will be using but for illustrative purpose, it gives you an idea of how it will look when complete. (Minus the leaf litter)

IMG_0898.jpg

I let Mr. Fitz have a quick survey of his future domain.

IMG_0891.jpg

He didn't get to stay for long.

Then after I put him away my little Schnauzer came in to investigate. She did not get why I brought dirt into the house. It concerned her greatly.

IMG_0894.jpg

quyllur

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Tonight marks 1 week since I picked up Fitz. Just now I put my hand in his enclosure and he actually crawled right into it and sat there until I gently removed him as it is time for bed. I've been trying to bond with him by moving slowly when my hand is in the enclosure, talking softly, and bringing him out to chill (a couple of times) but he has been very skittish up to now and has been basically holding completely still whenever I come within his senses (understandable being tiny and new of course)

Anyways, it was very cool to have him crawl into my hand like that.

quyllur

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Fitz got moved into his big house on Sunday.

Here it is in it's mostly complete glory:

image_10.jpeg

You can just seem him sitting up on his basking branch. He's so little in there!

image_11.jpeg

He likes to sit where it's good and hot.

quyllur

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Mr. Fitz put himself to bed before lights out

image_12.jpeg

He sleeps in the corner behind this plant every night.

quyllur

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Fitz ate 24 crickets this morning! He's starting to get that baby dragon appetite I've heard so much about

A few hours after breakfast he had a weigh and measure.
32g & 23 cm

quyllur

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Fitz is doing really well. He's starting to shed his tail again, so he's a little grumpy and stressed right now.

Here he is hanging out on his new rock feature. The right of his enclosure was looking a little bare and I wanted to offer him a warm hide.

image_13.jpeg

Here are a couple of up close shots of the inside of the enclosure for those interested in bio-active:

Right side:
image_14.jpeg

Left side:
image_15.jpeg

Water dripper: (saw this on another thread and thought it was a really cool idea. Even if Fitz doesn't use it, the isopods and other clean up crew will benefit from the water. It gets filled with ice cubes and has a small hole drilled in the bottle lid. As the ice melts it slowly drips into the dish below.
image_16.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom