Marlow

This forum is specifically for people who want to share day-to-day stories about their beardies... the weird or fun stuff. This is not a forum for seeking help, but more just for sharing the cuteness that is your beardie.

Marlow

Postby MarlowAndMe » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:06 pm

It’s been 2 weeks today since our family grew by 1, our food cost over doubled and our love for beardies began

And yes, I meant our food bill doubled ! the cost of insects in NZ is a lot more here than most from what I’ve been told

Anyway, Marlow has been a character and a half and I thought I would share some snaps of him from the last two weeks for those who love seeing dragon photos
He came to us as a small 11” dragon on 27th September
[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]


This was first home
[Click image to enlarge]
Last edited by MarlowAndMe on Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:37 am, edited 6 times in total.
MarlowAndMe
Juvie Poster
 
Posts: 601
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:17 am
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: 2 weeks of Marlow

Postby badfreshly » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:32 pm

Oh golly what an angel 😍
badfreshly
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:11 am
Location: Michigan

Re: 2 weeks of Marlow

Postby Gormagon » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:22 pm

She looks like a happy lil'dragon!!!
The wonderful world of bearded dragons is a magical land of mystery, enchantment, cuddles, love and, worry! A mysterious realm where things always seem to change in an instant and, the moment you think you have it all figured out, the rules change! You think you own your dragon, guess again. You are now a slave!!!
RIP Peaches 10-1-18 Forever in my Heart
User avatar
Gormagon
Gray-bearded Poster
 
Posts: 2789
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:05 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: 2 weeks of Marlow

Postby Xanelic » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:45 pm

Jaspersmama wrote:It’s been 2 weeks today since our family grew by 1, our food cost over doubled and our love for beardies began

And yes, I meant our food bill doubled ! the cost of insects in NZ is a lot more here than most from what I’ve been told

Anyway, Marlow has been a character and a half and I thought I would share some snaps of him from the last two weeks for those who love seeing dragon photos
[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]


This was first home
[Click image to enlarge]


An angel!! Precious!!
Also yeah over in NZ it's super expensive and I haven't even been there.. My friend made a mistake of taking her Leo there and giving the little guy a staple diet of crickets lol (crickets are pretty expensive there from what I've heard
>>I love my beardie, Chien<<


Had him since
July 5th, 2018
Xanelic
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:13 pm

Re: 2 weeks of Marlow

Postby HippieLizards » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:59 pm

Adorable little guy! 😍 Such a cutie. :) I Hope he does well for Y'all. :D
Slave to three Beardies, one Crested gecko, a Ball Python, three Betta fish, and a Cat. (R.I.P Thor & Cisco, You two will always be in our hearts).[Click image to enlarge]
User avatar
HippieLizards
Sub-Adult Poster
 
Posts: 1339
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:03 am
Location: The Batcave.

Re: 2 weeks of Marlow

Postby MarlowAndMe » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:00 pm

Yep all insects are - it’s ridiculous really , like $40 for 25 - and you never get that many , some cost even more
We paid $30 for some soldier fly larvae and there were only about 8 still alive in the container

Upon googling ( and searching past posts on here) I see its common for people in NZ to have to substitute with repashy grub pie so I’m getting some in a couple of days so that will cut cost a lot. We use a lot of canned insects too - not the freeze dried kind - jurassi crickets and dragon fly larvae plus flukers crickets and grasshoppers. They are $20 a can and I get 2 -3 days from a can
I’m also lucky we got Marlow a bit older as he doesn’t need as many insects as a baby does.
MarlowAndMe
Juvie Poster
 
Posts: 601
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:17 am

Re: 2 weeks of Marlow

Postby Xanelic » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:15 pm

Jaspersmama wrote:Yep all insects are - it’s ridiculous really , like $40 for 25 - and you never get that many , some cost even more
We paid $30 for some soldier fly larvae and there were only about 8 still alive in the container

Upon googling ( and searching past posts on here) I see its common for people in NZ to have to substitute with repashy grub pie so I’m getting some in a couple of days so that will cut cost a lot. We use a lot of canned insects too - not the freeze dried kind - jurassi crickets and dragon fly larvae plus flukers crickets and grasshoppers. They are $20 a can and I get 2 -3 days from a can
I’m also lucky we got Marlow a bit older as he doesn’t need as many insects as a baby does.


Jeez!! It's only $6-10 here for 24-35 crickets!! New Zealand we need to talk-
>>I love my beardie, Chien<<


Had him since
July 5th, 2018
Xanelic
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:13 pm

Re: 2 weeks of Marlow

Postby HippieLizards » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:27 pm

Xanelic wrote:
Jaspersmama wrote:Yep all insects are - it’s ridiculous really , like $40 for 25 - and you never get that many , some cost even more
We paid $30 for some soldier fly larvae and there were only about 8 still alive in the container

Upon googling ( and searching past posts on here) I see its common for people in NZ to have to substitute with repashy grub pie so I’m getting some in a couple of days so that will cut cost a lot. We use a lot of canned insects too - not the freeze dried kind - jurassi crickets and dragon fly larvae plus flukers crickets and grasshoppers. They are $20 a can and I get 2 -3 days from a can
I’m also lucky we got Marlow a bit older as he doesn’t need as many insects as a baby does.


Jeez!! It's only $6-10 here for 24-35 crickets!! New Zealand we need to talk-

Lol I was about to say the same thing.. it only gets around $40 when you order 700 dubia roaches here. :shock:
Slave to three Beardies, one Crested gecko, a Ball Python, three Betta fish, and a Cat. (R.I.P Thor & Cisco, You two will always be in our hearts).[Click image to enlarge]
User avatar
HippieLizards
Sub-Adult Poster
 
Posts: 1339
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:03 am
Location: The Batcave.
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: 2 weeks of Marlow

Postby Xanelic » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:34 pm

HippieLizards wrote:
Xanelic wrote:
Jaspersmama wrote:Yep all insects are - it’s ridiculous really , like $40 for 25 - and you never get that many , some cost even more
We paid $30 for some soldier fly larvae and there were only about 8 still alive in the container

Upon googling ( and searching past posts on here) I see its common for people in NZ to have to substitute with repashy grub pie so I’m getting some in a couple of days so that will cut cost a lot. We use a lot of canned insects too - not the freeze dried kind - jurassi crickets and dragon fly larvae plus flukers crickets and grasshoppers. They are $20 a can and I get 2 -3 days from a can
I’m also lucky we got Marlow a bit older as he doesn’t need as many insects as a baby does.


Jeez!! It's only $6-10 here for 24-35 crickets!! New Zealand we need to talk-

Lol I was about to say the same thing.. it only gets around $40 when you order 700 dubia roaches here. :shock:


Last time I paid forty dollars for my guy was how much I had to pay to get my beardie!! And 700 dubias? Do people actually buy that many? :lol: (small breeder of a dubia roach colony so I only have 10F and 3M with a few nymphs lol
>>I love my beardie, Chien<<


Had him since
July 5th, 2018
Xanelic
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:13 pm

Re: 2 weeks of Marlow

Postby HippieLizards » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:42 pm

Lol. 700 dubias is essential with a baby dragon that has a appetite similar to a black hole, two bug loving adult dragons, and a growing Gecko. Probably will last me a month or two. :lol:

Thank goodness my snake and cat don't eat bugs too lol.
Slave to three Beardies, one Crested gecko, a Ball Python, three Betta fish, and a Cat. (R.I.P Thor & Cisco, You two will always be in our hearts).[Click image to enlarge]
User avatar
HippieLizards
Sub-Adult Poster
 
Posts: 1339
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:03 am
Location: The Batcave.

Re: 2 weeks of Marlow

Postby MarlowAndMe » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:54 pm

We can’t even get dubias here, nor silkworms or superworms

Soldier fly larvae , crickets , locusts and mealworms are about the extent of it. And you’re looking at $40 for any of those.
$40 for your bearded dragon??? You’d hate to here what I paid then lol! .... times that by 20.... ( babies though are usually about $400 , older ones usually sell for around $700-$800 )

Repashy grub pie is $30 for the smallest one , $42 medium and $70ish for the large

For comparison our petrol costs for a week is $40
MarlowAndMe
Juvie Poster
 
Posts: 601
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:17 am

Re: 2 weeks of Marlow

Postby HippieLizards » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:12 pm

Ouch.. That is some expensive bugs.. are they of the royal bloodline? :lol:

Lol $40 has been the most I've paid for a beardie (Rocket, Cisco was $30, Thor was $20, and Daisy and Loki were free).

Dude, $400-800 dollars for a dragon is insane. :shock: In the US a dragon of that price would have to be like a wero, Super red, paradox, or something along those lines, but it still would be a lot for a beardie though.

So with that way, Marlow is the king and is very pampered lol. 😎
Slave to three Beardies, one Crested gecko, a Ball Python, three Betta fish, and a Cat. (R.I.P Thor & Cisco, You two will always be in our hearts).[Click image to enlarge]
User avatar
HippieLizards
Sub-Adult Poster
 
Posts: 1339
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:03 am
Location: The Batcave.

Re: 2 weeks of Marlow

Postby MarlowAndMe » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:32 pm

We ( as far as I know ) don’t even have super reds or any of the other amazing types
There is possibly one breeder at one end of the country that has more of a range but I’m not even sure 100% that they do.
Citrus is as exciting as I’ve heard of here

A viv here is expensive too - looking at $400- $700 for a viv that’s only 90cm x 45cm ( 36”x18”) - and there are only 3 types - soon to be only 2 types as ones no longer going to be stocked. That’s just the viv - double it if you want the stand. And there’s only one option for a 120cm x 60cm ( 48”x 24” ) and that’s $799 plus at $500 if you want the stand

The best uvb you can buy at any petstore here is 10% reptile one. I have finally pre ordered a t5ho Arcadia but that’s through someone here who imports them ( not a store) and I had to pre order as his sell out fast.
Last edited by MarlowAndMe on Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarlowAndMe
Juvie Poster
 
Posts: 601
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:17 am

Re: 2 weeks of Marlow

Postby HippieLizards » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:34 pm

Wow. :o
Slave to three Beardies, one Crested gecko, a Ball Python, three Betta fish, and a Cat. (R.I.P Thor & Cisco, You two will always be in our hearts).[Click image to enlarge]
User avatar
HippieLizards
Sub-Adult Poster
 
Posts: 1339
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:03 am
Location: The Batcave.

Re: 2 weeks of Marlow

Postby Xanelic » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:59 pm

Jeez, New Zealand are you okay???? And I thought Vietnam had bad pricing lol
>>I love my beardie, Chien<<


Had him since
July 5th, 2018
Xanelic
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:13 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Next

Return to Beardie Tales

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users