Broly the new super saiyan beardie

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Actually Broly is inbred. He has a lot of issues. Sure, most are manageable. Manageable ones are MBD and arthritis MBD related. Tracie says he's inbred. Renal system problems that only involve stool obviously. It looked a bit grey but that was probably green mixed with white. Acts pretty normal. I have read grey or blue stools are not good. I've seen "grey" before but that was because urate got mixed in with green. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets liver/kidney issues as he gets older. Im not trying to sound like a bad owner Im hoping it doesn't happen. Broly's spring checkup is coming up and it includes blood work. We'll see what happens. Kane's blood work came back all clear everything functions well. Parasites/worms low level. Kane won't go back till fall season or if he's sick.

We have nicer weather for now. Rain just next week. Nothing involving snow. It didn't even stick. Warm but cloudy right now.

My mom was 18 when she had me. That's why I was young watching horror movies. My grandmother hated that. She told her daughter, my mom that I shouldn't be watching that "trash" as she called it. It's ok if you're older than 10. At 4 yrs horror movies was the only thing that entertained me. I remember being 8 yrs old and I was hyped to see Nightmare on Elm Street 2...probably wasn't that good back then...my grandmother was watching me at the time and said "no!" It was on TV. I had to watch it later down the road when I was 13 (had to see it at a friend's house) basically. I saw Freddy vs Jason at 16 yrs old. Grandmother still didn't like it. Apparently the after 10 yrs old didn't apply. I watched it anyway. Wasn't that good but to "disobey" my grandmother I watched it. We all had the rebellious teen years right? I drank acohol once...didn't like it so that was it. I hated the hangover. My mom didn't like that I was drunk at 16. She said "you done trying alcohol?" I said yes. I just did moderate bad stuff. Alcohol and watching horror movies. LOL. My mom actually didn't care about what I did except smoking and sex. She would care if I dared do those two. I can do it once but for my mom once meant you better hate it. LOL. No more alcohol anymore. Horror movies remain and that's what grandmother hated. Eventually grandmother got over it and let it happen.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Hi there -- it's been a weird week, so I'm finally catching up on my email and stuff after being a little out-of-the-loop for a while.

I remember that Broly's kidney issues were probably due to inbreeding, but I didn't realize that the MBD issues might be related to that also -- I figured it was because he probably didn't get the right supplements and light before you got him, but I guess genetics can make some beardies more susceptible to that than others. Expecting (and being prepared for, if at all possible) other health issues later in life isn't being a "bad owner," it's just being realistic, IMO.

Beardie poop comes in a whole rainbow of colors, so I've learned not to get too worried about anything except obvious parasites or blood. Puff's poops have been large and green lately, but considering that he's been pigging out on his salad several times a day lately, no worries there. My husband is a little concerned that it's going right through him and he's not getting much nourishment out of it. Maybe... :? Puff has always had a tendency to wolf his food and has never been too good about careful chewing. That's why we don't do live superworms anymore. :roll:

We'll find out. Got an appointment with the vet for his checkup later this month. Glad to hear that Kane's got a clean bill of health.

Being into horror movies is definitely the lesser of the evils when you put it alongside alcoholism, smoking, and risky sex. :lol: -- Although my husband would probably agree with your grandmother and call it "trash" as well. He's into positive uplifting movies about people helping each other, or educational ones, and I'm cool with that too, so we watch that kind of stuff when we're together. He'll do Star Trek once in a while, but I haven't been able to talk him into sampling Dr Who so far.

Believe it or not, I've been a "teetotaler" for most of my life, and I've only ever taken little sips of real sweet stuff (like liqueurs) or people's home brews, just to taste it. No desire to get drunk, do something stupid, and then not be able to remember what I did the next day, not to mention the hangover. I'm quite capable of doing plenty of stupid things just staying sober, thank you. :p

As for smoking, I had a similar experience to the one you had with alcohol. When I was a little kid, in the "dark ages" over 50 years ago, and before the Surgeon General's report came out about smoking and lung cancer, both of my sisters smoked (they have both since quit) and I used to follow them around asking for a puff of their cigarette. I was a stupid little kid with chronic bronchitis (you probably know where this is going :wink: ) and I didn't know any better -- I just wanted to do it because big sister was doing it. I bugged them so much that one of them finally let me try it -- I took a big old drag and just about coughed my fool head off. That was enough for me. My sister is sorry for that now, but I thank her for teaching me a good lesson. It wasn't like she forced me to do it. Good enough -- never needed to try that again. :mrgreen:

Nice weather here too -- stuff is finally melting, and the sun is just setting at beardie bedtime. My husband spent some of the weekend out in the yard shoveling snow and chipping ice because he was afraid the mailman wouldn't be able to get to our mailbox without slipping on it -- that was the official story, but I think he really just wanted to be outside because it was a nice day and he had a bit of that weird Alaskan disease that we call "cabin fever." Still too cold out there for Puff and me, but I let him have his fun after I reminded him that it would probably all melt anyway if he just gives it a few more days, unless we get a spring snow dump. Still possible, but less and less probable.

I hope you and your family (humans, beardies, and otherwise) had a nice Easter... :)

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

So Im pretty crabby right now but also bored.

Fed animals like usual. I then watched YouTube as I usually do in the mornings. I spent most the night warming up my hamster. Ash slipped into hibernation but for her it's dangerous. She'll die of dehydration so I had to act quickly. My first thought was she was dying because she's 2 1/2 yrs old. She's an old lady. I left her alone to die peacefully. I noticed all day she hadn't died so I tried something. It was 1am so I picked her up as she hadn't gotten up at all not even to pee! I put her under my shirt and she started to move around. I administered water through syringe slowly. She drank a few drops. I fed her some food and tilted the bowl she stored the food in her cheeks. We sat by the fireplace and she warmed up and got her body heat back. She's an awesome girl. Glad it wasn't death after all. She's my night buddy while all dragons are asleep. Our leos don't like being handled lots. I see people on YouTube hold them I guess ours has that personality that is "leave me alone".

Capaldi is doing fine he gets handled a considerable amount.

I SLIGHTLY neglected the dragons through my hamster ordeal. I did feed them I did give them supplements. I just wasn't able to hold them and give them lovies. Tomorrow they will all get quality time with me. Im tired I spent all night warming her up and checking in on her from time to time. Now I know how my mom felt when I was sick as a kid. She stayed up all night with me. Ash is ok now she's back to her usual self and is eating and drinking. She may have a third bday if she lives to August 13.

My rodent room which consists of Ash (syrian hamster) and our two male guinea pigs (Simba and Kion). Temp is now 75 deg.

Our new leo is very social and I would stick her with Shadow and Doctor (after Dr Who) but she may end up being antisocial like them. Of course I should stick her with Clara instead since they're girls. Sonic was Shadows mate but Sonic lived to be 16 and died of old age.

The dragons are still a bit mad that I was focused on Ash and not them. Tom cuddled all three. They're not mad at him it's at me.

It was a good Easter...got two games. One for my old DS and one for my 3ds (which isn't in 3d actually). Idk...some games are playable on 3d but not all which is dumb. They should have put them on DS then lol. Hey what do I know?!

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Glad to hear that you managed to help Ash's little short hamster life last longer, even though it sounds like the all-nighter wasn't fun, but a good excuse for some extra cuddles, at least. :love5:

Leopard geckos are really cute but they seem so small and fragile. I'm surprised that anyone can get away with handling them much at all, and that they live as long as they do.

I was pretty sickly when I was a little kid too, and my mom did a number of all-nighters with me even though she was 38 when she had me and not so young anymore. (I was the little accident that wasn't supposed to happen from the second marriage :wink: ) I guess that's just what good mothers do at any age, and with any sort of a "child," human, mammal, reptile, etc.

Puff doesn't seem too particular about which one of his human slaves cuddles him, at least not to me. My husband believes he knows that I'm "softer." Well, sure. I have a much higher fat to muscle ratio and fat is much softer than muscle. :p Hopefully your beardies will get over being jealous of the hamster and forgive you for being spread too thin...

I suppose that game manufacturers have some sort of complicated formula for "optimizing" the amount of $$ you spend on games and gaming systems -- if only some of them will play on some systems, then they can get still get you to buy some games even if you're not ready to shell out for a whole new system, so it's probably not as dumb as it seems, at least not from their point of view. :roll:

Puff has been alternating between falling asleep in front of his salad and glass dancing every time I get out my knitting yarn (worms, to him). He even pooped twice yesterday, which is very unusual -- once in his tank in the morning and once in his bath in the evening. Bad case of spring fever, I think (at least I hope this change isn't too good to be true and it's not a sign that he's getting diabetes or some such -- we'll find out later this month). No obvious evidence that he's thinking about making little dragons yet, although I'm still half expecting that to happen any day now, but that's the way it goes -- just when I think I've got him all figured out, he surprises me...

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Yes, she's doing great. No cancer so far. I've had all types of hamsters. I've had syrians, robos, campbells dwarf and chinese. I never had winter white hamsters (unless they're the campbell). I heard they're hybrids of the campbell.

I know the dwarves are prone to diabetes. Since I had the campbell one got diabetic. I had to adjust food to not much sugar. They liked fruit. His brother really couldn't have any. I had to make it fair...he didn't get any because his brother.
His brother died but he the non diabetic one lived on. I reintroduced fruit again. I had my share of diabetic animal.
They all died of old age...except one. My chinese got cancer at 1yr. 1 1/2 yrs is when it got bad for him...so he had to be put down. He couldn't move his legs..cancer affecting his legs somehow.

Got most stuff charged because another high wind warning for the next two days. I am so sick of this kind of weather!! I want summer. We had this type of storm last year in April. We have two storms on the way. One comes late tomorrow night into Sat afternoon.

I still couldn't get the beardies out. I did give extra roaches on bug day. Broly ate four cut up pieces of butternut. He was really hungry. I feed him in the morning so Idk why. I have loads of animals and people try saying on other forums Im terrible. I don't let them out often and don't snuggle. Well lets see Broly will NOT snuggle and doesn't like being bugged. Kane is asleep between 7-8. He likes to get ready for bed so don't touch. Jamie well Idk she seems to enjoy hiding in her room. She's happier without people bothering her. It got really warm today...though raining. So there's fans running in the reptile room (on low and not pointing at them) to cool the room. With lights on and a warm room it can't be comfortable. Extra warm. Trust me, I feel bad I can't always give time to everyone in one day. My beardies do get out on warm days. On cold days they stay in the tanks. It's really cold here. Warm was unexpected and happened late. Since my boy doesn't like to snuggle like most people's on here I don't see why he can't stay in his 80 gal. I'll let him out Idk what he'll do. Too warm to snuggle and no sun outside to see things. I suppose it's a chance to cool off.

We even turned the heat down in the rodent room to avoid heat stress. 68 at best. No one should go into hibernation.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
You've got me thinking that if I outlive Puff and feel the need for another little critter to cuddle, hamsters might be an option at my age -- not a long commitment. I worry about what would happen to my pets if they outlived me, although I know that my husband would take good care of them, and he's 10 years younger than me. We'd have to make sure that he's not allergic to them, though. He tested negative for gerbils, at least, but no go with cats, dogs, and rabbits.

I understand that the Syrians tend to be larger and friendlier compared to some of the other types?

I guess our nasty spring weather is getting sent down south your way again, because it's been pretty nice here for the last few days. Sorry about that. I hope your battery backups get you all through the storm ok if you have any power outages.

Only you know how many critters are enough for you -- you and whoever helps you take care of them. It's a fine line sometimes between being lonely and bored vs being overwhelmed. Heck, I had a bit of a panic attack yesterday morning because I needed to make Puff a salad and I was barely able to drag myself out of bed, then I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to make myself do it, and I hated to get my poor overworked husband out of bed and ask him to do it, and Puff's been wanting greens first thing in the morning, etc etc etc :banghead: Somehow I managed to push through and get it done, at least this time, but that's not always the case. One little beardie. Pretty pathetic, huh? Anyway, I think you're pretty amazing, being able to keep up with all the critters in your "zoo."

It's warming up only slowly here -- no freak "heat waves" yet. They're expecting high 40's over the weekend. That's "hot" for Alaska, even for this time of year -- but still too cold for beardies to go outside.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Syrians are larger and friendlier but it depends on the animal. I had campbells and they were nice and not bitey. They just had a friendly personality. Ash was not nice when she first got here. She bit me a lot while getting to know each other. If the personality of the hamster is friendly, then it will be. After taming if they're still mean then the personality isn't very friendly. My chinese was antisocial. He wasn't into people playing with him so he came out and played in his playpen while I cleaned his cage. I fed him gave him water and toys. I had a 6" wheel for him. I think needed an 8" wheel. I don't quite remember what he needed. It's been a while since he died. Be careful when they bite..it's hard and draws blood. They can live to 4-5 yrs it depends on genetics.

So seriously their personality depends who they are. You may get a mean or antisocial or a very sweet hamster. Any of them can bite. Capt Kirk was a syrian and he wasn't very nice. He had an attitude of "back off!" Not a nice boy. Ash is grumpy but is a sweetheart. We can pet him only when he allowed it. They only wake up at night. Since Ash is old she almost never wakes up to play anymore. She only wakes for food or water then back to bed. She's also deaf. They can have some greens or veggies too. They can't have much greens or veggies or they get diarrhea. I give mine one piece of green or veggie once a day. Some people give a very small salad but I don't want diarrhea.
Hamsters are fun! You can't play with them if you catch cold or flu as they can catch it. Syrians are for beginners. Any of them live 2-3 yrs as average. 4-5 has been reported. I had gerbils too. It's pretty much the same except maybe the age is different. Still around the 4 yr mark. Gerbils can wake up anytime you want. They eat the same food as hamsters. Anything else you can research if you want any of them.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Thanks for the nifty little summary on the proper care and feeding of hamsters, as well as the reminder that animals each have their own personality whether they're beardies, hamsters, cats, dogs, etc. -- even true for people. :wink: And it makes sense that little rodent teeth would be sharper than beardie teeth. Heck, the one time our beardie chomped my finger (got it mixed up with an artificial "worm" made out of Repashy grub pie, and he was really excited about it), he didn't even draw blood and it hardly even hurt.

I got the one gerbil I ever had from a coworker over 20 years ago and I still had him when I got married. My husband's allergist tested him for gerbil and that turned out to be one of the few furry animals that he's not allergic to. I did some research on gerbils back then -- didn't have internet access at home and had to go to the library and read books. They only had a few of them, 2 or 3 at the most -- seems so primitive now. I inherited internet when I married my husband and now I can't live without it. :roll: Anyway, the gerbil came with all the stuff he needed, and I fed him a commercial gerbil food mixture that seemed to work fine. I also had a large package of toilet paper that had gotten wet due to a leak in the pipes under the bathroom sink, and I had been able to dry it out but it wasn't usable for its original purpose anymore, so every other day or so I'd give the gerbil a half a roll and he'd go to work and tear it up to make himself a nest. He had a plastic running wheel and some plastic tubes to crawl around in, but he used the running wheel as the "upstairs bathroom" instead. The little guy tolerated handling (didn't bite) but he didn't really seem to enjoy it that much, so I just tried to keep him as comfortable as possible and make sure he had what he needed. I was told that he was about 2 years old when I got him, so he was probably about 4 years old when he died, an average life span for a gerbil as I understood.

I thought I smelled a gas leak for a while today, until I thought to look in Puff's tank -- yep, sure enough. :p I'd thought he might. He was a little overdue for a poop and I didn't expect him to be able to wait until bath time this evening. At least he was nice enough to do it on the paper towels where it was fairly easy to clean up. I need to remind myself that natural gas (plus the stuff they put in it so you can tell if you have a leak) only smells like rotten eggs, not like rotten eggs mixed with urate...

Our daytime temperature topped 50 F over the weekend -- first time this year. Still lots of snow on the ground, but it's melting fast now. Our yard is a swamp at the moment, but we should have lots of free dandelions for Puff in another month or two, and hopefully he will still be interested in greens by then. So far so good. One of my husband's favorite things to do on a nice summer day is to plop himself down in a nice weed patch and pick dandelions for Puff -- it gives him an excuse to be outdoors. :D

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

My sinuses are messed up and inflamed. Oh goody, a cold. Im sure it is since there's pain up in my sinus cavity.

Broly's gained weight 576g. So has Ash. Kane is 582g. Jamie is 577g. So everyone has gained. Ash doesn't run around so Im gonna get the playpen out and let her run around at least 15 minutes a night. Our cats won't bother her but don't mean Im leaving CJ alone with her. He's a killer. Dewey isn't much of a killer...he barely gets around. He's a potato who eats, drinks and uses a litterbox. He's not fat either...you think he would be because he doesn't move around. Quill will kill anything that moves! He's an attack dog for our house. We don't let him attack just anyone because we feel like it. He'll attack robbers or just bad people in general trying to hurt his family. We have a beware of dog on our front door. So we have let people know. Badger is my service dog for anxiety not so much Aspergers.

You're welcome for that summary. I felt it was needed since care has changed. I had a tiny cage for my hamsters back then now they have a 360sq ft floor space on the bottom of the cage. That's the minimum. Bigger is better. Kinda like 40gal is the minimum for dragons back then now you need 75-120gal for them. Im good with my 80gal full of tiles and a dragon with branches everywhere.
Oh well. I was always told 40 for dragons. Now that's changed.

Fish care changed too. I won't get into that.

It warmed up a couple times. Not much. Now it's rain and 50 deg. No wind storm since Sat. It's really cold today so the reptiles have all taken on and off naps. They'll eat...but not much because we got a cold front coming. Possibly another wind storm soon. Im gonna to rest. I hate colds it'll turn into something else soon enough.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I suppose you're starting to get some pollen flying around in your area by now -- colds and allergies at the same time are not fun, so I hope you can get a handle on it before it gets any worse.

We've probably got a couple of weeks before the pollen really gets going around here, but the snow is nearly gone, and lots of stuff that would have been better off to have stayed frozen will be flying around on windy days. At least the weather has been fairly nice and sunny most of the time lately. We're almost out of the woods for any more snow. Almost...

It sounds like your beardies are all nice and healthy, as well as Ash in her old age. And you've got yourself quite a mix of personalities with the cats and dogs, including some good protection and emotional support.

Puff has an appointment with the vet two weeks from tomorrow. I'm still hoping that his sudden increase in appetite, especially for greens, is a good thing and not a sign that something has gone haywire with his metabolism. We haven't been weighing him at home on a regular basis, but if we see a big change one way or the other, we do have a little scale that we could use to monitor his weight if necessary, and give him more or less bugs as needed (along with as much salad as he wants). He looks and feels pretty much the same to both of us, although I keep thinking that he seems to have lost some muscle in his arms and legs. He can still get up and walk when he wants to, so I may be worrying over nothing -- I think we both have a tendency to get that anxiety thing going. :wink:

Yes, we've come a long way in the past few decades when it comes to the amount of knowledge that's out there regarding the proper care and feeding of other animals besides cats and dogs. That's probably why our reptiles are living longer -- some older books about beardies say that their average life span is around 5 - 8 years (that would make Puff geriatric at 6), but some of them are living into their teens nowadays. There's a lot more sophisticated stuff available in pet stores nowadays too, in terms of enclosures and lighting and such, but you're still pretty lucky if you find a salesperson that knows much of anything about what they're selling, not to mention the needs of the animals that they're selling it for. :roll:

So I hope you manage to have a nice weekend, if the cold and the storms don't ruin it for you. We don't have any major plans, just the usual critter care and as much housework as we can manage. If the weather stays nice, my husband is going to want to find an excuse to go outside, even if it's still too cold out there for Puff and me. :mrgreen:

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Unfortunately sad news is Ash passed away. I made sure as I couldn't move her feet and legs. They were stuck in the position. I had her in my hand for 15-20 mins. No movement. She died curled up asleep one last time. I cleaned her cage last night so she died in a clean cage. Well she used the bathroom a few times. So we buried her in a bag and covered her with dirt. We said some prayers and reminiscing her short life and how it was fun for her. She watched TV well if you want to sleeping watch tv. The dragons got their food and cleaned up any stools. Been in my room playing guitar mostly all day. Some Lion King, Jurassic Park and Green Day songs.
Im just glad she was able to die here than at the vets. She ate and drank yesterday...
She also had no cancer or illness that I know of seemed healthy. I said my goodbye (I could tell things were looking towards death) and bumped noses as that's our kiss. I put her back and she ate food took a drink went potty and curled up. I have not cried yet maybe just everyone needs something. My parents are notified she died overnight. We treat any animal like losing a human/dog/cat like family. Proper burial and speech made by everyone. It's cold and rainy perfect day for a death huh?
Tom did suggest another one maybe a pair of gerbils. I said sure maybe next weekend I'll let you know. You see after Capt Kirk died Tom got a hedgehog (2 wks after he died). Im probably sticking with hamsters. I like gerbils too. I had both. I'll update when I decide.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Sorry to hear that Ash didn't quite make it to her 3rd birthday after all, but it sounds like she probably passed away peacefully in her sleep and did not suffer. You took good care of her and gave her a good life.

I'm all for treating animals like family, especially as opposed to "livestock," "specimens," or "things." So I think people should do whatever feels right to them to say "goodbye." And yeah, they say it always rains for funerals. :cry:

We haven't had a burial for Squirmles yet -- the ground was still half frozen when he died last December, and I didn't want to see his body again after the necropsy -- didn't want to remember him that way, so we opted for cremation. But we saved a number of his shed skins, so I'm thinking of burying those as a little memorial for him, maybe a little later in the season when the ground is still nice and soft but not too muddy, although I may still save the smallest one and the largest one. My husband did the math and pointed out that I had him for a 4th of my life -- he was 15 and I was 60 when he died, and as far as I can remember, that was the longest I ever had any of my pets, even cats and dogs, and it may turn out to be longer than I will ever have any others in the future. I half expected Squirmles to outlive Puff, but you never know. So we cherish the one we still have... :love5:

Hedgehogs are really cute, and I understand that they're not quite as prickly as most people think they are, as long as you know how to handle them, but that's about all I know -- never had one myself, and I only remember ever seeing one in person. I would guess that their needs are similar to those of hamsters and gerbils, but probably not exactly the same. Tom probably has that all figured out by now.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Well, telling my mom that Ash passed wasn't a good idea. Lol, dad called me to say she's going out today to look at gerbils or hamsters. I may or may not have anything will let you know. As far as I know looking usually ends up bringing it home. If she doesn't find any animal that would "spark" my interest then she leaves without. Dad said prepare my cage just in case. I washed it with vinegar (less harmful than bleach) and Tom brought some new toys. It's ok, I'll love it anyway. I have a couple names ready. I remember a anime called Get Backers. I like the names Ban and Ginji for gerbils. Hamster Im thinking just Ginji (my favorite) for male and female is Anubis (Egypt stuff is cool). Now for female gerbils is Star and Moon. Im not good with girl names...but I do like stars and the moon. It works. I try to work with any pair names. Oh well. I can look up girl names that work together. Im just good with unisex names or boy names LOL. I don't hate female animals...just never have good names for them.

Other news is that my dragons don't seem too happy that Ash passed. My guinea pigs are depressed without her in their room. They're used to her on her wheel or making squeaks in her sleep. My geckos don't seem to notice. Everyone ate less than the normal intake. They're all gloomy. Except geckos. Victor calls to her at times. I told him she's gone dude. He asked where and I said dead buddy. So he's pretty upset. I don't think he understands. My nephew is sad and he doesn't want the cage to have a new one. He's 7 yrs old...he loves animals and hates to know she died. He'll want to see the new animal or animals. As angry as he is about her death he'll get curious eventually and will fall in love with whatever it is.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
So here it is almost the end of the week and I'm just now getting around to answering my email and stuff... :oops:

You may or may not have another furry little critter by now -- I know how that goes. Some years ago when my niece found out that my sister's dog had died, she went right down to animal control and got another dog for her mom (apparently before my sister had even had a chance to decide if she wanted another dog). And, of course, she loved the dog and gave her a good home for as long as she lived, but then decided not to tell her daughter when the dog died... :wink:

If we ever get another critter, it's my turn to name the next one. I'll figure that out if and when we get there. At my current age and level of "disability" (or whatever you call it), it wouldn't be fair to the animal or to my husband to get one that's liable to outlive me. But you're still young -- you've got plenty of time to love and care for lots of hamsters and gerbils (and whatever else) in the future. :)

So far, the two reptiles I've had have both been male. The only difference for me is that you don't have to worry about the health problems that sometimes come up with eggs when you have females, but it hasn't been a deciding factor for us, and I'd take either one too. It's not as easy to tell with reptiles as it is with mammals, because reptiles carry their stuff around on the inside of their bodies, so if I don't know for sure, I pick a gender neutral name or one that will translate easily from male to female or vice versa -- most English names have a male and female version.

I use vinegar and baking soda for cleaning too. I used to keep chlorine bleach around before I was married, but my husband is really sensitive to chlorine so I got rid of that right after we got married. I try to keep household chemicals to a minimum -- sometimes I think you can do more damage with the chemicals than the germs you're trying to kill. :?

It's weird that even your beardies and Victor seem to miss Ash. One big interspecies family, huh? Maybe your nephew will come to understand that you don't get another animal to "replace" the one that died -- the next one will be different and special and you can love that one too.

Things are still going well around here -- Puff is still chowing down on greens and pooping big green turds almost daily -- almost tail-whipped one across the tank the other day. :roll: I continue to hope that this sudden increase in appetite is a good thing and not a symptom of something more sinister -- countdown to vet appointment Saturday after next. "Daddy" fed him a huge cricket-and-roach meal last weekend -- said he was really hungry (I got too tired and depressed to help, so I had to have a good cry and a nap in the meantime :( ), so he's off to the pet store to replenish our supply of crickets and roaches after work today.

Our run of nice weather may be coming to an end -- they're predicting rain and maybe even a little snow over the weekend, but the temperatures will probably be too warm for any of it to stick around for very long. The rest of it has pretty much melted, except for the largest piles. I can't believe we're more than halfway through April already... :shock:

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

I don't have a new pet. My sister was with mom and said I pick the new animal. It's Saturday morning I get a new hamster. Maybe I'll be surprised earlier which WOULD be nice. Im getting tired of waiting for the weekend. I end up watching late horror movies alone. I did this with Ash and Kirk before passing. I do go over to my parents and play with their guinea pigs (to make days pass faster). I got the bitey pig to stop biting me. She bites anyone who tries playing with her. Her personality reminds me of Kirk. My parents got the pigs a big cage but they're too tired after work to socialize them. Well the pigs ended up liking me. I play with them and brush their fur (they really like that). For the life of me, I can't figure out why they got them if they don't play with them. All they do is feed, fresh water and clean their cage. That's like getting a bearded dragon and not letting it out. I admit Im a victim of this..there has been days where they stay in their tanks all day every day. That's usually during winter. Too cold without the sun keeping them warm. Cold, rainy and occasionally snow. Well Kane and Jamie sleep anyway. Broly is the only one awake. I don't induce this sleeping thing it just happens. I give food and keep lights on 14 hours. Idk it just happens.

Broly eats mint occasionally in his salads to keep parasites down. He doesn't have a huge load of them so it's ok. Kane doesn't care for it so he tail whips them..will eat some sometimes. Jamie will eat anything in her path. I do mean anything...so I pick up the floor and vacuum.
It's nice now. No rain for the 10 day forecast. Idk how long this will last but probably not long as rain is coming your way then over to my way. Oh well. Taking advantage of the sunny weather for now.

Im not done with the hamster cage anyway. I got the bottom ready and cleaned the bars (no it's not small cage). I need the bridge cleaned (wooden) probably will pop it in the oven at 250. People do it for their dragons why cant I?
I have a lot of wooden toys. Bridge, chew blocks. Of course the ones she's bitten or going in the trash. I don't wanna upset Anubis with smells of another hamster. People see no other hamsters but Anubis won't know that.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom