The never ending story (Falcor)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my first bearded dragon on 12/23 as a slightly early christmas present.

I'm not entirely sure how old it is since he was a chain pet store buy. I'm guessing it was about a month old due to its tiny size. Since it's a baby and I've not been able to find much in the way of growth charts I wanted to start my own here.

His/her name is Falcor. He's a regular run of the mill beardie, but oh so cute and personable. Currently he's in a 20g with power sun uv/heat. Basking temps reach 99-101 (probe reading) at the top of his plastic branch but he usually hangs out around the mid 90's range. Cool side gets into lower 80's. I'm slowly building a palace for him when he gets bigger.

When he came home he weighed in at a measly 6.2 grams, and was almost 5.5 inches.
80051-8526964606.jpg

Falcor wasn't catching many crickets for the first week I had him, so I'd toss them in the fridge for a minute to slow them down. He eats arugala and this other frilly leafy green if I hold them. Recently he discovered he likes celery too. After a week he became a pretty proficient hunter so no more cold apps. I ordered some phoenix worms right after christmas and he devours them too. I honestly don't understand how he can fit so many in his little belly.

He also seems to really enjoy interacting with me. I read babies should be handled less, but he seems to want it. I stick my hand in to clean out poop and he jumps on me and climbs up my arm. Every night around 8 he starts dancing on the front of the glass till I stick my hand next to him, then he'll climb on and we'll go play on the floor.

On christmas day, he pooped on my leg as a christmas present. :roll:

Four days after I got him (12/28) he shed and I reweighed him. He was 6.9 grams and 5.8 inches. After his shed he developed a little color.
On New years day he surprised me, weighing in at 8.8 grams and an even 6 inches. I tried to take a pic of him on the same rock but he wasn't having it. So we'll use the bug dish as a reference instead.
80051-4674534523.jpg

I've only had Falcor two weeks now and he's officially doubled his weight and is eating me out of house and home. I've got enough phoenix worms for breakfast tomorrow, then I'll have to make a cricket run until the next order arrives.
1/7 weighing in at a whooping 12.8 grams and 6.5 inches ... here Falcor is, posing for the picture.
80051-4487042660.jpg
It looks like he's about to shed again, there's a tiny bit coming off under his chin right now and he's dancing on the glass for his nightly play time.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Wow, he looks like my guy. Only difference my guy has skin on one side of his face not scales. Suffered an infection and lost scales on that side. Looks like a scar. I wish you a long life with Falcor, he sure grew! Sorry bout the rant on my guy.

Jettum

He's so cute!! Love that yellow hue!
Just thought I'd post this size chart for ya since u were having trouble finding one. =)

Jovreef

Original Poster
14.1 grams and 7 inches now. Falcor is starting to look more like a dragon rather than a little lizard now. He was not down for posing for pics tonight though. Just wants to play.

Jovreef

Original Poster
I finally decided on a big beardie home for Falcor. A 50 galling Nat Geo reptile sanctuary. When I opened it up I was pleasantly surprised. It comes with all the styrofoam needed to build the perfect habitat for the little one.

One day ... this will be a beautiful rock structure filled habitat :D
80051-3270569062.jpg

Jovreef

Original Poster
This evening my little one is weighing in at 18.5 grams. (guestimating 7 weeks old)

I've absolutely spoiled Falcor on phoenix worms. He'll only eat about 5 crickets in a sitting then jump back on his rock as if he's full. I throw in worms two seconds later and he chomped down another 11. So much for trying to keep variety in his diet.
80051-5926507660.jpg
Beggin' for more.
80051-4945529811.jpg
I also procrastinated on some things last night to build the rock structure. So far it's looking 100 times better than I even imagined. The styro was all from the packing material in the nat geo box.
80051-4702339256.jpg

Treyvian

Hi. I named my beardie Falcor as well and recently posted pics in introduction. I have a question/concern on your last pic. The Styrofoam looks great but is there concern he may ingest some? I would just like to know cause I think it looks awesome and something I could do just little worried he'd eat it.

HitokiriBattousai

Hatchling Member
Treyvian":1u8mw1fp said:
Hi. I named my beardie Falcor as well and recently posted pics in introduction. I have a question/concern on your last pic. The Styrofoam looks great but is there concern he may ingest some? I would just like to know cause I think it looks awesome and something I could do just little worried he'd eat it.

i doubt it is going to be left bare common practice is to make a structure with foam then cover it with several layers of tile grout then a clear coat to seal it (such as mod podge or polycrylic sealer)

im in the process of making one myself here is mine with almost all of the outer coats of grout done

79822-7699296032.jpg

and on topic the structure looks interesting TC any ideas what color you intend to go for? for mine i went with a red rock look with quikrete liquid cement colors Red and Terra cotta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom