Jace, Zy, Vess, Ava, Nissa, Koth, & Phoenix -->R.I.P. Sorin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me:
My name is Liz. Some of you may have seen my past thread and recent posts on here lately. I'm 23 years old and I'm currently living with my grandparents. My boyfriend, who still lives at home as well, Paul, helps me care for and love these adorable terrors. I'm finishing up my last semester of school, my graduation date being somewhere in March. I work at the USPS as a letter carrier full time, I continue to do so after I graduate as well. Now, onto the more interesting features in my life and that ones everyone really wants to hear about, my reptiles.

Jace:
Technically, Jace was not my first bearded dragon. Originally I had Kamajii, named after the boiler man from Spirited Away. Unfortunately, he suffered from epileptic seizures and I had to return him. I was very new to the reptile world and I wasn't ready to make that kind of commitment just yet for my first time. He and the other beardie that suffered from epileptic seizures were eventually adopted out to a really nice family who knew what they were doing. That, however, left me with Jace. He was a feisty bugger right from the start, pretty sure I bought him right before he hit puberty. After a lot of working with him, however, he is now my love bug and adores me, or at least he makes me think he does. He's two years old and has just gotten over his URI. Currently he is 19" and 490g.

2lhlmJ7.jpg

0VMCsDo.jpg

HlqmWPS.jpg

o5lTI32.jpg

KoGXALc.jpg

rIxENPQ.jpg

lwhsPZU.jpg

DxCpENU.jpg

EGHXRN4.jpg

Zy:
Zy was my second beardie, but not my second reptile, actually she was my third if I remember correctly. She's a leatherback and was a Valentine's Day gift from Paul. Currently she is18.5"", 492g, and just turned two. The biggest problem I have with her is that she refuses to poop anywhere except on my carpet. And she will only poop on my carpet if I'm present. If it's just Paul, nope, nothing. If it's just me or both of us, she goes to town laying the biggest poops. She's always been very sweet. She hasn't black bearded ever, only puffs out to stretch her beard. And the only time she's ever bitten was from my hand feeding her greens. She's all mouth when it comes to eating.

[Imgur](http://i.imgur.com/u499O5D.jpg)
[Imgur](http://i.imgur.com/yDfuYnJ.jpg)
[Imgur](http://i.imgur.com/bYWoOnz.jpg)
YTrzM96.jpg

0xynAWL.jpg

CocPE2m.jpg

vocpzEE.jpg

0ceBOWX.jpg

R.I.P. Sorin
Sorin was my third bearded dragon who unfortunately had to be put to sleep. Here's the link to his memorial page that tells his story: https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=212505. We miss him so much and today I picked up his ashes. I forgot to ask about the plaster paw print, if they were able to get one from him. I'll have to call and ask about it tomorrow. I spent the ride back, talking to him, telling him of all the things I've missed about him, of the good times, of the new baby and asking for his blessing. I love you, Sor-Bor. He was a whopping 20" and 569g.

E31OQ8Z.jpg

PzkIusK.jpg

sfirfYM.jpg

8FunWd3.jpg

3lfdlme.jpg

G2ofJSb.jpg

FZuDfsU.jpg

mRhvAPM.jpg

HFu9OZu.jpg

axvUBIb.jpg

8KVtnJD.jpg

Vess:
She's our newest member, we just picked her up tonight, actually. She's from Paul's coworker who has four bearded dragons but do to financial reasons, had to rehome two of them. Less was bought from an online breeder: Rainbow Bearded Dragons. He's a year and two months old and still a baby. He had her in a 10g viv and fed her only enough to not starve, but not enough to grow so she has a lot of catching up to do and looks so small in the 40g viv. We're hoping with a lot of food and proper care, she'll get right back onto growing and be as big as she was supposed to be. Will have to weigh and measure her tomorrow.

kZn5CNO.jpg

rTQrg2I.jpg

Er9xR8e.jpg

5WBsCu5.jpg

anEdook.jpg

Ava:
Ava was our first leopard gecko and her birthday will actually be in a couple of days. She'll be two years old. She's special needs, there's a chance she might have the enigma syndrome. Here's a link to a report on it if anyone is curious as to what the enigma syndrome is: http://www.freewebs.com/grinninggecko/enigmasyndromestudy.htm. Unfortunately it's rather sad. Other than, she seems to be doing well enough. She doesn't grow or gain much weight, but she is always, ALWAYS shedding.

uhE7jim.jpg

6CbJXWf.jpg

IUdNw8r.jpg

MY7y2T1.jpg

wVaEHEP.jpg

bzUqPIW.jpg

g169RXW.jpg

Nissa:
Nissa was our first baby to choose us. I was walking in Petco, very dangerous, I know, and for the first time ever, a leopard gecko was glass dancing at me. I've never seen one ever pay me any attention before as Ava became Paul's. I knew then I had to get her so the next day I came home with Nissa. She's such a doll and gets into so much mischief. She'll be two years old in March.

tZK28mv.jpg

8hrU3to.jpg

8asSCgF.jpg

w5sa9So.jpg

M3gHTtW.jpg

Kqq7K2g.jpg

386RMyL.jpg

0sllkEe.jpg

qn9hbCt.jpg

Koth:
Koth was our second and last baby to choose us. He was in a small, overcrowded cage at Petco (the same one that Sorin came from). Originally we were looking at rescuing a different one, but he woke up, crawled on top of all of the sleep leos and walked right up to us as if to say: "I'm your only choice." Of course, when he got home, he looked everywhere for the first week for the other leos. He couldn't believe that he had a place of his own and he is such a champ.

qWNAlTK.jpg

kBB7iM2.jpg

AQBbMAq.jpg

n0gEAOs.jpg

Cc5FIFh.jpg

w8q2r2J.jpg

iOA9sbB.jpg

Ub445hl.jpg

1SZOsRy.jpg

Phoenix:
He was probably the worst off from any of our rescues. He came from a different pet store chain entirely, the one that is the bane of my existence, Dave's Soda and Pet Food City. How I loathe that man, let me count the ways. I would rather work at Petco and follow their rules than even be in a mile radius of this store. It. Is. Disgusting. And when I tried to report it, nothing happened. Phoenix is a true fire skink and was horribly miscalled for to put it mildly. When I saw him, I honestly thought he was told and told one of the employees. They woke him up to prove to me he wasn't. My response? That's good, I'll take him. Honestly, that first week we brought him home, we weren't sure if he was going to make it. The night we bought him we went to Petco to buy supplies and one of the employees there was APPALLED by his appearance. Anyways, we've now nursed him back to health. He's guess to be a year and three months old. And he is such a sweet and gentle soul, so fun to be around.

mMvJay3.jpg

Fxi4Ibb.jpg

ezdry3L.jpg

jOjWU8O.jpg

a6S1UjG.jpg

eFM2shp.jpg

jsVkKr1.jpg

AZrO9B6.jpg

0gK643R.jpg

That's it for now.

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
First thing Vess did was take a nice, healthy looking poop. We weighed and measured her after it. She's 10.5" and 34.8g. Paul's going out to Petco to buy crickets while I'm in class. Tomorrow when I get paid I'll be ordering 1,000 small dubia for her. Need to get some meet on this girl's bones.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
zandi202":11n5zhwn said:
First thing Vess did was take a nice, healthy looking poop. We weighed and measured her after it. She's 10.5" and 34.8g.
Hooray for a healthy poop!! That's always a blessing to see.

She's only 34.8 grams for being a little over a year old? Oh my :(

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Here are the updated growth charts. This will show you how far behind Vess is. Essentially she is 8" behind.
VaXAagB.png

I also still have Sorin's growth chart:
Y0lwafy.png

And here is the growth chart for Pheeny and the leos (sounds like a band name):
5viLzED.png

Question: Even though Vess is a year and two months old, should we treat her like an adult? Lower temps, more greens or should we go based on her size and treat her as a baby? Higher temps and more bugs than greens?

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I would treat her as if she's a juvie. She needs all of the UV and protein she could get at this point in order to grow.

She may end up being stunted like my MoMo and Squirt are, but still healthy as can be.

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Thanks, Gina. I will definitely feed her as much protein as she wants. Paul's already in love.

babyheartthrob

Hatchling Member
Hi Liz,

Welcome Vess. I can't believe she's so small (goodness she's smaller that a couple of my babies, and they are only 2 1/2 months old :shock:). How can some one keep a dragon in a 10 gallon for that long and only feed her enough to survive. I'm so glad you rescued her, I'm sure with all the love and attention (plus good food) she'll catch up.

It's great that Paul's in love with her, she's such a little cutie :)

Congrats on getting her and now to get her healthy :)

Sabrina

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Sabrina:
She may be little, but she be fierce. I'm trying not to give him too much food today as I don't want to upset her little tummy and have her getting sick.

She's not just cute, but she's a little spoiled princess. She likes to have the food placed in her mouth... Well at least with greens anyways. Crickets on the other hand she gobbled off the tongs like no tomorrow.

Vess Update:
So Paul bought 100 small crickets and small crickets are a lot smaller than I remember. So we will probably pump her up to mediums until the dubia get in. As mentioned above she did eat some greens today, only when they were placed in her mouth for her. I'm only letting her get away with this for right now. Have to get her off her high horse soon. She ate a lot of small crickets off the tongs for me - close to twenty-five ish. They were too small to even bother keeping track of. I'm going to give her a few more before I go out to dinner with my grandparents. It's funny, she starts getting so excited about the crickets that she starts running around all over the place, forgetting to even eat them, silly girl. I'm not going to lie, her personality has me in love. She'll be entertainment in the months to come, that's for sure.

hrz1gBW.jpg

JnPtESf.jpg

Q1HRWFs.jpg

CxC2iay.jpg

Other News:
So today we got Sorin's ashes and paw prints back. It's good to have Sorin back home where he belongs. I don't know why, but in the picture the paw prints look raised, but they aren't. They're actually depressions into the clay. I still miss my Sor-Bor, but this pipsqueak has us on our toes.

BtErCaY.jpg

EIuggI0.jpg

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Vess has great teeth and healthy gums!
Those photos are so precious - Big attitude packaged in a little beardie! (isn't that always how it is?)

I wish I had paw prints made of Buddy before he was cremated.
Sorin's impressions does look like they're raised! Very cool looking; you can see all of the scales, too.

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
So here's a comparison between Zy and Vess. The picture I used of Zy is when she was 10.5" which Vess is right now. It's scary how much they differ in weight. The visual really makes it an eye-opener...well more so than just numbers.

U2XTykp.jpg

Also, I received this in the mail today from my vets' office:
e8zytsc.jpg

hz8fdE1.jpg

And on this inside was this card with Rainbow Bridge on the back:
DTaZs5G.jpg

ASAcHZF.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom