Guardian Dragon: Mushu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello fellow beardie slaves :whip: , my name Jessie. I'm 18 and have had 2 beardies. My old account was noelerhard, but I somehow manged to lock myself out. Go figure. Anyway, for those of you who don't know, I have a young (4 month?) beardie boy. His name is Mushu.
This Mushu:
Mushu_zps107eb6d8.png

NOT this Mu Shu:
mu_shu_pork_zoom_zps8071ad67.jpg

Other names include:
Twinkle Toes
Mu Shu Pork
James Leopold Abernathy IV
Drogon

This is from the other day.
received_m_mid_1407179935626_b3a37b80cfca429723_0_zps832b6438.jpeg

Mummy! It's the flashy thing again!
received_m_mid_1407179868859_32f02b3495b6fc0386_0_zps0c7d1579.jpeg

That's just a camera baby boy. (He runs from my camera.)

Sleeping after a long day of fun.
media_1407390194885-531947866_zps6554e91e.jpg

Caught in the act!! Haha!
media_1407437181799-274388557_zps88b9d0f8.jpg

Turn out the lights!!
20140807_210058_zpse865f790.jpg

Mushupork

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
christineyellow":1h5agwc3 said:
my baby's name is Mushu too! I call him Mushi sometimes. If you have IG go follow him @mushumushi!
Great minds think alike! Haha, I call my little guy Mushu Pork. I'll do that. Mine is @mushupork27.

Mushupork

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I know he eats his veggies, because his dish is lighter when I go to empty his old ones, but that was the first time I caught him eating them. My roommate came in and I was dancing around the room all happy like... I was excited. Mushu hid in his cave for a few minutes afterward. I think my dancing scared him, haha.

Mushupork

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So last night me and Mushu curled up on the couch to watch Captain America 2. He stayed on my chest for about ten minutes before taking a flying leep onto my ice cream sandwich. I wasn't impressed, but Aj seemed to find it hilarious.

Today I decided to take him out side for bit...

"Mommy... don't let them eat me!"
20140810_140841_zps02c1a24c.jpg

"If I stay low they can't get me, ha!"
20140810_141127_zpsa19a213b.jpg

"Humph. It's boring inside."
20140810_141000_zpsd1cfb837.jpg

I love this picture!!
2014-08-10141430_zps0857d1ee.jpg

Mushupork

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well hiya, people I haven't talked to in ages. It seems as though a lot of my old friends are gone, but that's okay. New friends are fun! Mushu, still seems to be growing slowly, but I know why. Things are hard around here at the moment, but I'm working my butt off the keep my little Stinker. There have been a couple times were he was eating veggies until AJ got paid next. My job went out of business, and NOBODY seems to be hiring. It's going better but bad things keep happening. I'm unsure if anyone really remembers what was going on, but that's for another day. Mushu is a little over eight inches. Not much better in the growing department, but that's my fault. I'm ordering a dubia colony and a ton of phoenix worms with the last of my money. It'll be fine once I get a new job. He's still the little fire cracker he was when I got him, just bigger and more even tempered. He still hates baths though. Gosh I love the little Bugger. I have some pics to post in a bit.

I'm back for good, now that our town has free mobile hotspots, lol. Hope to talk to a bunch of you!

Mushupork

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
11/10/14 How did he sleep like this?!
IMG_20141110_063339_zps25994d89.jpg

11/06/14... Does he look too thin? :'(
IMG_20141106_144312_zpsb041d3c7.jpg~320x480

Roaches are being ordered ASAP!!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
No he doesn't look too thin, he's just very small for his age. I'm glad you're getting roaches and phoenix worms. The roach colony, once it gets established, will give you roaches for the rest of his life and they're so easy to raise, too. I have 2 colonies, a friend of mine (I started her colony) discovered she was very allergic, couldn't even have them in her home, so I brought hers to my house. I have a 20 gallon full and a 10 gallon full. So even though I have 5 dragons, I still have tons of roaches. But you have to have about 100 females and about 30 males to get a good colony going, as they take 6 mo to grow to adult size. The females will lay 40 babies about every 40 days, so takes awhile to get it going, but you'll still get lots of small ones for him. He'll start growing in no time flat.

I'm sorry to hear that you're not able to find work, I know it's hard in the US, it's hard up here in Canada, too. I hope you find something soon, even if it's part-time. It's hard to feed a baby when you have to be buying food all the time, but he looks very healthy.

Keep me posted. Such cute pictures!

Mushupork

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I keep worrying that maybe his legs are to thin. He doesn't seem to have much in the way of muscle, just a belly. I'm glad nobody else seems to think he looks too skinny. I bought a small starter. The only one I could possibly afford is 100 mixed sizes and 6 breeding pairs. It was $31 so I'm hoping it was worth the last of my money. What's the best thing to do for heat?

It's only so hard because I'm still a high school student, and have no reliable transportation. I'm still living with roommates in their early 20s. Thank you for being so kind. The local exotic animal vet just told me to sell him. I was crying. I'm trying my hardest, but if it gets any worse I might have to rehome him. I love Mushu, but if I can't properly care for him then I need to find someone who can.

Thanks, he's a great poser, definitely NOT camera shy, haha.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Sometimes you have to make hard decisions, but it just depends on your situation. You can always get chicken baby food (stage 1) and butternut babyfood, mix it together and get him to eat as much as he can. That's also a good filler for when bugs aren't available. Keep that in mind. When my Sweetie was 6 mo old, she stopped eating bugs of any sort, she was on babyfood for almost a year before she started eating bugs again. And I got her up to almost 300g during that time. Plus 16 1/2" long. She was still a bit small, but when she started eating crickets again, she gained & grew. So it's something you can always do when $ is scarce.

Mushupork

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
It's okayright now, he has grown an inch or two since last month. My roommates and boyfriend love Mushu just as much as me. If I really need some money they're usually okay with helping. I just fed off the last of his crickets this morning, but I always have back up baby food on hand. He'll be alright until I get the dubia. AJ (bf) Aparently ordered a 200 count of mediums to feed for a bit while we wait on the colony. My mom is driving me up to the herpatology center at Cornell University. It's the best place around and they do free first time checkups. If it comes to it I'll do the right thing and find him a nice home, but for now I think it's okay to wait and see.

What do you all recommend for heating a dubia tank?

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I don't heat my tank because I leave my living room heat at 73-74F 24/7 because I have geckos. I have 1 20 gallon tank and a 10 gallon tanks, they're in the bottom of credenzas (thick wood) with an opening so they get lots of air circulation and I've never used heat. Not everyone keeps their living room that warm, though, so alot use under tank heaters with timers. You need the timers as if they get too hot, you can cook them and most heaters don't have timers. You should check under Feeders and ask there, alot of people will answer you there who heat their roaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom