Nathaniel, Cierra, Castiel, Freya, Grrl; RIP GABRIEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
We never expected to get another dragon, but our neighbours next door wanted to give away Cleo, as he was called. We'd babysat him before, he's such a sweetheart. We nicknamed him Velcro because when he snuggles he never wants to go back to his viv, he hangs on as if he's made out of velcro.

So here he is. Today was his first day with us. He ate 13 supers and ate some squash, not bad for the first day he was here. He's only in a 30 gallon tank, which will be ok for now. He's 18" long but weighs only 200g. We figure he's probably 2 yrs old. Our neighbours rescued him last fall, they found him and a female (which they named Puff) on Craig's list. They were in a 30 gallon dirty tank, with sand and a huge log that took up 1/2 the space in the tank. Leo was at the bottom, he was sooooo skinny. He's gained weight, but never got the attention he deserved. I took some pics today, but will take more tomorrow. I think he remembers our place as didn't get stressed as I expected. No stress marks at all. When we let him run around the living room, he noticed our girls and immediate black beard, so his hormones are working!

He had a bath this morning, had a big poop, no smell, so not worried about parasites.

So here are a few pics, he's a yellow & dark gray, light gray colour.

Under the communal power sun in the living room:
sweetie2008401.jpg

Discovering there are girls in those tanks up above, he has a great black beard for such a skinny boy:
sweetie2008403.jpg

On the couch, he's got a pretty diamond pattern on his back:
sweetie2008412.jpg

sweetie2008413.jpg

Hope you enjoy
Deb and my six dragons :D :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: :( :love5:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Weather did an about face today, got 3" of snow, all gone tonight but it's still really cold for Nov in our area.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh my, bet the snow was a shock. Glad it melted pretty quickly. Imagine your joints aren't appreciating the cold. :(

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
No, you're right, Diane, my joints scream in this weather. I hate the cold. I don't have winter boots, mine wore out last winter, so my mom, tomorrow, is giving me my birthday $ and I'm off to get a pair of warm boots. At least I hope so, my feet are hard to fit.

It's hard to get used to cold at the beginning of November, we're normally all rain. Mind you Bella loved the snow this am, she was snuffling in it the whole 1/2 hr walk, at 8:15 this am. We met up with our neighbour with her dog Milo and they walked really well together. So that was fun.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
That must have been a heck of a change to go from 80 degree take-the-beardies-out-in-the-sun weather to snow in no more than a couple of weeks. :shock:

We got snow dumped on us over the weekend too. Saturday it was still fall, and when we got up Sunday morning and looked out the back door, wham! it's winter (never mind what the calendar says), but that's not unusual for early November around here. In fact, it was a little late this year. We usually have snow on the ground for Halloween, but the light dusting we got a few weeks ago had melted off, and this year we had fog, but it was kind of nice and spooky for Halloween, and for a change.

That picture of Gabriel on top of Bella is just tooo cute. :lol: Great Halloween costumes too. Your whole family looks wonderful -- reptiles and mammals both. And best wishes for a good outcome for Eric's situation, and a healthy baby for your glowing niece. :D

I also have a hard time getting winter boots that fit and that don't spring a leak after a season or two, probably because I keep buying cheap ones, and also because I have a size 8 foot and a size 12 leg. I finally went and sprung for a pair of "bunny boots" a few years ago, and so far so good. They're the only pair of boots I own that doesn't leak now, so I wear them all winter, and people tease me for wearing them when it's no colder than 20 or 30 F. They're popular here when it gets really cold -- big and white and heavy and well insulated and waterproof -- used by the army. I usually take them off and run around in my stocking feet when I go indoors. Hopefully you can find something that fits and will at least keep your toes and ankles warm.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
It is with a great deal of sadness and shock that I tell you that Imp died tonight, just a few minutes ago. He started Saturday am, continually trying to poop but with nothing there. I put him in a sugar bath as I was afraid he was starting a prolapse. He had a huge black beard that went down his chest and showed up under his arms on his body. That never went away. I nursed him all weekend, called the vet this am but there was no reptile vet in today, so was to take him in tomorrow am. I fed him the mix he always loved on Saturday and Sunday and this am he looked even worse. I had to take Bella to the vet for oral surgery (teeth and gum cleaning and she had 2 teeth removed) and once I got home, I put Imp into a pedialyte bath as he was looking worse. I fed him some of the pedialyte and some of the mix but to no avail. When I gave him the 2nd pedialyte bath I noticed his teeth were locked. So I wrapped him up and held him until I have to pick up Bella. She was in alot of pain and it took her a few hours to settle down and sleep, but still help Imp in my arms as much as possible. He died tonight at 10:50, still being held in my arms. I'm glad I brought him home and gave him 2 years of happiness with my crew, but I'm just numb as I can't believe I've lost my beautiful boy. I will miss him forever. I'll post a memorial when I'm able, right now this is the only place I could think of to post what happened to him. RIP sweet Imp, I'm so glad I brought you home when you were little and had almost 2 full years with you.

Betty53218

Hatchling Member
So sorry to hear this awful news Deb! What a shock to you and all of us that have been watching Imp's great progress since you’ve become his mommy. Thank you so very much for giving him a good life and being there for him in his final hours. Hugs and prayers go out for you today.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Thank you so much for your kind words, I miss him so much, didn't sleep very well last night. I never thought in a million years that I would be posting his death at 2 years old. :(

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Poor Imp ='(. I wonder what happened. Maybe renal failure? He's had such a rough go this whole time. I'm sure he wouldn't have made it nearly as long without your care. I'm glad you were able to give him such a happy life. You made a difference by helping him and I'm sure he appreciated it.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Thanks so much, it was so fast, he was fine on Friday and by Sunday am, no matter what I did, I knew he was in trouble. You're right, in that he was never 100% well, but I'm glad I gave him 2 years of love that he would never had known in the pet shop where I found him. RIP sweet boy, you will be forever missed. I forgot to turn off his light last night, so for a second I thought it was just a nightmare...

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
So sorry to hear that you lost him so suddenly. It sounds like you did everything you could to help him, and you were there for him to the very end. I know you'll miss him but I'm glad you don't regret that you gave him a wonderful life for the time he had. I hope the memories will eventually be sweet.

Meanwhile, take good care of yourself and the rest of your family.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Thanks Sue and Makayla, it's starting to hit that I'll never see him again. I found a place to bury him on the weekend, very close by, a protected garden area. I'm finally crying over his loss, it happened so fast and I couldn't stop it. I will forever remember him like this, sitting beside Gabriel (right)looking healthy:
11887-4727889039.jpg
Sitting in the sunshine, sun directly on his head;
11887-2038320266.jpg

And when I first brought him home:
11887-9945982885.jpg
He was so tiny :love10:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I know they will, plus my boys and girls I've lost over the years, they'll all be there, too. I truly believe that. Plus they're all healthy forever now. I found a place close by to bury him where he'll be protected from the weather and predators and I can visit often.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Aww sorry Deb..

Vash and Alucard are looking after him like everyone else's who has died.

Sorry his condition couldnt be figured out or did you know?

RIP Impy..he was happy.

Brighter news though, your godson Broly is three next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom