Nathaniel, Cierra, Castiel, Freya, Grrl; RIP GABRIEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
We never expected to get another dragon, but our neighbours next door wanted to give away Cleo, as he was called. We'd babysat him before, he's such a sweetheart. We nicknamed him Velcro because when he snuggles he never wants to go back to his viv, he hangs on as if he's made out of velcro.

So here he is. Today was his first day with us. He ate 13 supers and ate some squash, not bad for the first day he was here. He's only in a 30 gallon tank, which will be ok for now. He's 18" long but weighs only 200g. We figure he's probably 2 yrs old. Our neighbours rescued him last fall, they found him and a female (which they named Puff) on Craig's list. They were in a 30 gallon dirty tank, with sand and a huge log that took up 1/2 the space in the tank. Leo was at the bottom, he was sooooo skinny. He's gained weight, but never got the attention he deserved. I took some pics today, but will take more tomorrow. I think he remembers our place as didn't get stressed as I expected. No stress marks at all. When we let him run around the living room, he noticed our girls and immediate black beard, so his hormones are working!

He had a bath this morning, had a big poop, no smell, so not worried about parasites.

So here are a few pics, he's a yellow & dark gray, light gray colour.

Under the communal power sun in the living room:
sweetie2008401.jpg

Discovering there are girls in those tanks up above, he has a great black beard for such a skinny boy:
sweetie2008403.jpg

On the couch, he's got a pretty diamond pattern on his back:
sweetie2008412.jpg

sweetie2008413.jpg

Hope you enjoy
Deb and my six dragons :D :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: :( :love5:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Yes, all my geckos are friendly, but I have one crested gecko that likes to hide all the time. I did get her out yesterday, though, and she ran around my fingers, so I enjoyed that. No idea why she's like that. Her name is Selene. Camilla, her tank mate, is on the door looking for me to take her out. I'll do that tonight when I get ready for bed. Eric is over, his leg is very sore, so he sleeps on the bed and I sleep in the living room. Comfortable for both of us. When the kids are here, though, he has to sleep Fri and Sat night with them.

I'm so glad he got out to run around today, it always does them good. Gabriel did a walk around the living room, but Imp decided to stay in one place. And now he's asleep in the same position. I'll get him out tomorrow before chiro, to run around a bit.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas. :D We had a huge 24 hour snowstorm, so my brother Dave picked me up so I could get to our Xmas dinner at his place. He took me home, too. We had a great time and it was fun to have all the kids together. My grandkids couldn't be there, neither was Eric, he was sick. Otherwise, it was perfect.

We just don't do well with snow over here, we've had 5 snowstorms in the last 3 weeks, there is 2 feet accumulated out there but it's starting to melt. I don't know how much fell in total, but over a foot, maybe 2 feet altogether.

Gabriel is still hanging in there. He still gets his Serrepeptase every day (have to get more) and then runs around the living room until he runs out of steam. Then he likes a snuggle and back in his tank where he has a good view of Imp, so he can blackbeard the rest of the day. Castiel has been up for a few weeks now, he's well hydrated but he now won't eat on his own. He seems to still be 1/2 asleep. I blame it on the cold we've been having, I have single paned windows, so it's been hard to warm up my small place. My sister gave me a ceramic heater, it warms up the living room fast in the am. So that's been a help. I swear the builders up here thought we were in Southern California!

I gave Nathaniel and Cierra long soaks this past week, they both went right back to sleep after drying off and warming up some. I hope they wake up soon, it's been 6 mo for Nathaniel and 5 mo for Cierra. When the grandkids go home, I'll get the tank out of my bedroom and beside Cierra's and that will become Cierra's tank so Gabriel can stay where he is. He enjoys being able to see Imp :lol: I also get to pick up the 2 new lights I ordered, Nathaniel needs one and so does Imp. At some point the ramp will be usable again, it's just too cold by the window for the dragons to be there.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Ok -- hello -- followed the link over here from the other thread, and I thought that other one was getting long. Wow. Maybe someday I'll have time to read some of this :)

(Second try at a reply, after the computer crashed on me somehow the first time) :(

Anyway, I hope you'll be able to work things out so that you can enjoy your retirement with your beardies and other critters when you get there.

My career did not end well, but my husband is 10 years younger than me (I was 41 and he was 31 when we met; at my age all the good ones were taken, so I had to rob the cradle :roll: ), and his career got off to a late start and then got derailed a couple of years ago, but we're hoping he can get it back on track. I'm not eligible for disability through social security (long complicated story), but in two years I'll be old enough to apply for "early retirement" benefits, although we're hoping we'll be able to stick it out and live on my husband's salary until I'm 65 or 70 (if I live that long) because the benefit would be higher then.

I feel bad that my husband has gotten stuck with the majority of the critter care, especially since it was my idea to get them, but he says that he wouldn't have agreed to it if he wasn't willing to help take care of them, and even to do it all if I wasn't able. He loves Puff and Squirmles as much as I do, so we're all very lucky to have him, the reptiles and me.

I'm not sure how hot would be too hot for Puff, but I shoot for 95 - 105 F at the basking area and he seems to like it because he spends most of his time there. My husband calls him a "lazy dragon" but I remind him that Puff is VERY BUSY making Vitamin D :) I also try to make sure that he has at least 2-3 hours of lights on to digest after we feed him his CRX (CRickets and CockRoaches and CRunchy CReepy CRawly CRitters), but any time of the day that we can get him to eat any veggies at all, we'll take it... "Daddy" has gotten pretty good at slipping a leaf in his mouth when he's busy chewing on a cricket.

Blessings, prayers, positive energy, good wishes, and/or whatever you believe in, to you and Gabriel for helping him to enjoy whatever time he has left.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I'm glad you've made your way over here and thank you for the blessings, even though I've been ill, I have so many blessings, a large family (sister & family; 2 brothers and families), my son and 2 grandchildren. So my life is full and I have a few friends, too, which is great, as they're real friends.

Time to have breakfast and watch the kids, Eric got no sleep last night, so I'm on grandkid duty until i have to leave for chiro at 9:45. Have to drop off some tortiere pies at my mom's first.

I'll take pics later or tomorrow and post the most recent of everyone so you can see my crew.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
So I'm not sure what to do about Gabriel, he's now lost all the fat pads on his head and his belly is getting so much bigger. I got 4 medium sized worms into him yesterday but, he's not inclined to eat and I'm wondering if his belly is starting to bother his stomach.
11887-5390021680.jpg

As you can see his belly has gotten so much bigger and I'm getting so sad, wondering if I want him to get more uncomfortable than he already is. He still walks around some but less and less, he spends most of his time laying on his fleece blankets under his light. He was diangosed last July, so I'm surprised that he's still with me. I'm starting to wonder if it's fair to him to keep him alive just so he can one day bleed to death.

I'd appreciate any opions on this as I really don't know what to do for him anymore. Just makes me cry to watch him trying to get comfortable. I still give him 1 ml of Serrepeptase daily, but now wondering if that's enough.

I love my Gabriel and don't want to lose him, but can't help wonder if I'm doing him any good the way he is right now.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's a tough one for sure. Poor guy. I wish he could tell you exactly what he needed. His beard isn't too dark so that's a good sign. I'd continue to make him as comfortable as you can and stock up on his favorite treats. You're pretty well tuned in to him so if he gives up I'm sure you'll know.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
Deb,
I'm so sorry this choice has been given you.I know how heart-rending it is.

My best advice is to have a talk with Gabriel. Tell him he needs to let you know when he is ready, and that it's okay to go when he's ready. The hardest part is waiting for a sign, but one will come. He knows how much you love him. His siblings are waiting to welcome him. He might decide to go in his sleep before you have to make a decision. But if he needs your help, I believe he will let you know.Or you will have a feeling. However it happens, it will be the right thing if you trust yourself.

This is the advice you would give if you were not so traumatized by his eventual loss. I am so sorry this is happening. I am praying for you and Gabriel to find comfort and peace.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Thanks both of you, I'm going to feed him some of the mix I made for Imp when he was so sick, to see if he can eat it. That's what's been worrying me the most, is his inability to eat. I can feel the bubble and it's gotten huge. My vet never expected him to live this long, but I can feel him losing the battle day by day...I have a week off a week Monday, so I'll feed him daily until then, see how he does, but if he doesn't get better, then we'll go see the vet on the 20th...

You're right Esther, I've been feeling him getting more and more uncomfortable. I started back to work full time last week and I miss being home, even though it was necessary to go back as my benefits were coming to an end. So I'll keep you posted...

PogoLover

Juvie Member
How is Gabriel? I just read your last few posts and see how much you are going through with him. Part of me probably would not have kept Pogo alive as long as I did if I knew then what I know now - but her little beard wasn't dark and she still had life in her. If Gabriel wanted to go wouldn't he just stop eating and drinking totally and just sleep all of the time?

Lucky never brumated, but is still acting like he is in brumation. He sleeps more than he did during the warm months, and he barely eats ... he eats maybe five bugs every couple weeks (I offer them daily). The only thing he will eat reliably is baby food squash. He doesn't touch his salads except to throw them around the cage occasionally - I have tried collards, dandelion greens, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, banana, carrot shavings, a few types of squash, and mango - a whole rainbow of veggies and fruits - he acts like I am trying to poison him. Despite this he has only lost about 35 grams (which at his hefty "normal" weight of 700 grams is not that much over his three-four months of doing this). He might have been a little too hefty at his max weight - he runs and jumps better now. He has plenty of energy when I take him out, and he is VERY curious - wants to get into and under and up on everything! He appears to love his new cage. He moves around a lot more - different basking spots, over to the cool side, into one of his hiding spots, stand in the water dish, back and forth. The humidity is VERY low in there now - that is why I gave him a water dish over the cold months. Last time I bathed him, he dunked his head and drank for a long time (and he pooped in his bath for the first time ever). If he doesn't start eating more when it gets warm, I will take him to the vet. I will probably take him for an adult check up in the spring in any case. My husband got me a lizard cam for Christmas - so now I can watch him no matter where I am!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
It's so good to hear from you and yes, since I've been giving him the mix, Gabriel has alot more energy and he's not black bearding when he's on his own, like was last week. He black beards in his tank, though, because he can see Imp. I did that so he'd have someone to "talk" to. I gave them both a bath (separately) and then put Gabriel on my granddaughter's soft giant giraffe stuffie (she didn't want it when she started going to Eric and Traci's on the weekend) and I put Imp a few feed away on the ramp, both in the sunshine. So I was enjoying my boys ignoring each other and turned to get Cierra out of her tank, when I turned back, Gabriel had run across the space and climbed the 4 (I though there were 5 originally) concrete blocks and was sitting on top of Imp :lol: Poor Imp looked squished and considering Gabriel is probably 300g more than him, that was understandable. Yet no fighting, so I was glad to see that. Scooped up Gabriel and put him back in his tank and Imp, too. It's so nice to visit my grandkids, without them here it means my dragons have time out on the weekends, not just rushed time during the week when I'm working.

Sounds like Lucky is going through a bad "winter blues" time, won't do any harm to get him to a vet for a wellness check and fecal, he could have parasites, like Imp. He's on panacur and his poops are already stopping their stink. My vet gives me a month cure, 3 days of 2ml ea, 7 days off, for 4 weeks. Seems to be working and after he's done, I wait a month and take him and a fecal in. He can't seem to hold on any weight, need to get a new scale, too, mine died. But I don't think he's much over 400g still. I feed him bugs every day, he fights me with every bone in his body, but I persevere because he wouldn't eat at all if I didn't feed him. I'm wondering if Lucky was just feeling too heavy, I know he's a long dragon, but maybe 640g would be a better weight for him. Hard for me to tell. I have to feed all 4 of my boys now. Castiel has stopped eating since he woke up from his 3 months of brumation (end Aug to mid Nov), which is a drag because he was one dragon that always ate his bugs and greens every day. He lost weight, too, while sleeping, yet Cierra and Nathaniel didn't, even though they both slept for 5-6 mo each. They did that last year, too, and didn't lost more than a couple of grams.

I'm glad he's gotten more active, that might stimulate his appetite again. He has alot of weight, so I wouldn't be too concerned but I'd still get a fecal done at least.

I have to get them all done soon, I just have to get a couple of paychqs first. I've been on reduced income ($600 less a month) since Oct. And my car needs new brakes.

I'm sure Lucky is just fine, but it's always a worry when they won't eat. If I didn't feed my boys, I think they'd starve to death. I've tried to not feed them for a week and leave bugs in their tanks but Imp just loses weight and so does Nathaniel, so I've just given up and fed them on bath days. Gabriel gets a few mls of the mix daily now and I swear he feels better. I won't do anything until I know he's failing completely, then it will be time for the vet, but not until then. I got a scare until someone reminded me that I give out that mix recipe to everyone and why wasn't I giving it to Gabriel. So his fat pads are coming back and I'm grateful for that. He runs around the living room (well trots, really :mrgreen: ) but it's so good to see him active again. Considering they're all in their tanks for the whole day I'm at work, it's good to get them out on weekends. I have next week off vacation, so they'll get out more again.

Keep me posted on what the vet says about Lucky, there's always something they do to worry us. Brats :D

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Glad to hear that Gabriel is still hanging in there, and all the rest of them too.

I think we'd probably all agree that they're worth it even though they give us a lot to worry about :mrgreen:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
OH for sure, it's just our way to worry about our babies. Thanks for posting, I'm glad Gabriel is doing ok, too. Time to get up and start baths, have to walk Bella later, as she's alone until I get home at night. My son used to come over after work, but he's carless right now and it would take too long by public transport, so he goes straight home to rest. He works concrete construction and gets very tired. But he's hoping to have a new car at the end of the month and trade the old one in...we'll see how that works. He's borrowing my car on the weekend to get the kids and they stay at his place now, with his girlfriend Traci, so I have my place to myself again. 6 mo of taking care of the kids 3 1/2 and 2 yrs old was just too much for me, even with Eric there, too. So this is much better and I get to visit!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Didn't realize it had been so long since I'd posted. Gabriel is still with me, healthy and active. Still has his big belly but it's not gotten any bigger, which is good. He still has a fleece blanket stack for his basking spot, his platform has been moved to the cool side, in case he needs to cool off his belly. Still gets 1 ml of Serrepeptase every am and still walks across the living room and climbs up the ramp, to stare outside on the balcony.
Here he's staring at the Bailey houses that we gave him one winter (Roger loved Bailey's in his coffee, that year all the boxes came with houses). Gabriel knocks them down every day and every night I put them straight up. He's been doing this little game for 3 years now :mrgreen:
11887-9716482474.jpg

One day he decided to help me with the garbage. Nathaniel helped the previous week :lol:
11887-1666518846.jpg
Nathaniel doing the same thing :lol:
11887-4776665587.jpg

The rest are all doing well, too. I'm not sure but I think Cierra is carrying eggs, will have to keep an eye on her. Still can't keep weight on Imp, still having to feed him daily. The mix doesn't agree with him anymore, he gets runny poops, so I'm continuing with small roaches and greens to see if that works better, also giving him a good probiotic every day, see if that helps.

Otherwise, they're all in good health and because my grandkids have been going to Eric's now, they all now have new stuffies, too. Imp still has Ella the elephant and Cierra still has her piggy but now Nathaniel has a blue and white doggie, that he's become quite taken with, he now sleeps on him every night and has him stucked beside his basking log, too. Gabriel has a pink elephant that he climbs once in awhile and Castiel has a white bunny and a pink hedgehog.

I took alot of pictures, so here goes.

Cierra enjoying her rock, still can't tell if she's carrying eggs...
11887-1186308209.jpg
And on her basking spot
11887-3275889354.jpg

Imp, still skinny
11887-9231615415.jpg
11887-9153203507.jpg
And is telling me how he feels about baths!
11887-8242873815.jpg

Castiel showing off his pretty eyes
11887-5364398337.jpg
Catching a glimpse of Cierra from his tank:
11887-2041902282.jpg
11887-8779317210.jpg

Nathaniel before his doggie:
11887-9836841360.jpg
and after:
11887-7610365646.jpg

And my grandkids are growing by leaps and bounds. Safara is Super Girl and Leo is the mega blocks builder
11887-6484223986.jpg
11887-936150244.jpg
11887-7329487814.jpg
11887-9071809430.jpg

And then there's Bella, I've adopted her and Eric gets over as often as possible.
11887-1264958657.jpg
11887-3961626082.jpg
she likes to sleep in in the morning :lol: Not too spoiled.

MufasasMomMakayla

Juvie Member
So great to see all their pretty faces! They all look great. Too bad Imp is being such a pain for you. :roll: How can you tell Cierra might be carrying eggs? I've been wondering about eggs with Mufasa, though she's still pretty young I just want to know what to look for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bugluvr3
Top Bottom