The Unending Journey: Ardie and Me

This forum is specifically for people who want to share day-to-day stories about their beardies... the weird or fun stuff. This is not a forum for seeking help, but more just for sharing the cuteness that is your beardie.

Re: The Unending Journey: Ardie and Me

Postby Poggerna » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:45 pm

Yesterday, I discovered that superworms apparently LOVE carrots because I stuck a baby carrot into their container the night before and the next morning there was not a single trace of it left. :shock:

On that note, I think Ardbert is on a super fix because yesterday he would only eat one (1) large dubia and then ate only supers for protein. But he did take a couple bites of his salad on his own (I had been largely handfeeding him greens until this point) from the bowl yesterday, first time specifically going for a piece of green and second time I'm not sure if he was actually aiming at the little super and happened to grab the leaf or he meant to grab both since he did get both in his mouth but the worm fell out as he was chewing the leaf.

Fortunately, today he seems to have calmed down somewhat on his superworm craze and ate more roaches again (even if he still chowed down happily on a lot of tiny supers; enjoy it while you can, buddy because I am never letting you eat that many of them at once when you're a dragon grown >;P).

Still, I'm probably going to order more supers (why can't stores carry smalls too? ><;) and maybe some butterworms as a holiday treat~

He still doesn't want his phoenix worms, alas. He wouldn't take silk worms either so I had to give away my remainder to my dad's herpe colleague, whose own beardie apparently chowed down on 8 of my giant worms, lol! Here's hoping he warms up to phoenix worms again though.

Anyways, right now, Ardie has fallen asleep under my jacket while I kick back with dinner, the last Trials of Apollo book, and typing this post, lol. Can't wait for his Snuggle Sling to arrive so he doesn't have to stress about a good safe spot to snooze and cuddle at (every time he climbed up to my shoulder or back of my neck the last few days, he had a lot of stress marks, F).

Oh wait, I just checked and he has stress marks now. Which promptly faded as soon as I pulled him out onto my belly. Ardie, why do you keep putting yourself in stressful situations and NOT get out of them????? ;w;
Proud Parent of Ardbert, Lizard of Light
Follow on Instagram!
Poggerna
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby Poggerna » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:34 pm

I can't believe I forgot to mention I decided to take advantage of his super-crazy phase today to try to teach him his name and come. It may or may not have worked. :lol:
Follow on Instagram!
Poggerna
Hatchling Poster

Postby Faith331 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:24 pm

Mine is still learning to trust me. I don't know what he got exposed to in his previous home, but he's very nervous of the other animals, and the tv, and outside...

I'm sorry your baby won't eat phoenix worms, mine chows down on them.. like a lot..

Which reminds me, it's time to order more dubias and phoenix worms. I also haven't gotten a chance to try super worms.. but I have given him some hornworms as a treat. Also, mine doesn't seem to like any fruit, but I'll have to try the same trick I used to get him to eat squash
Faith331
Newbie Poster

Postby Poggerna » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:13 am

Faith331 wrote:Mine is still learning to trust me. I don't know what he got exposed to in his previous home, but he's very nervous of the other animals, and the tv, and outside...

I'm sorry your baby won't eat phoenix worms, mine chows down on them.. like a lot..

Which reminds me, it's time to order more dubias and phoenix worms. I also haven't gotten a chance to try super worms.. but I have given him some hornworms as a treat. Also, mine doesn't seem to like any fruit, but I'll have to try the same trick I used to get him to eat squash

Oh, Ardie loved phoenix worms too in his first month. But those were also his main staple with a side of silks so not surprisingly, I think he got sick of them, LOL.

He'll probably come around EVENTUALLY. I just hope my phoenix worms aren't all flies by then (not that he minds chasing flies; that time I had 3 flies emerge, he was in full HUNT MODE. I wish I could have caught his stalking on camera because boy did he love it.

The first fly, he snapped up in front of me (though I didn't spot the fly going in directly, I saw him chewing after snapping something up midair). The second fly, after repeated bad luck catching it and Fly #3, he went all the way over to the cool end, waited for the flies to land on his rock, crept to the base, paused......and CHARGED right into them. One fly made the mistake of banking near his mouth and got eaten. The other escaped, but presumably was eaten later when I wasn't there because no more fly. :lol:

Of course, that happened in his old top-opening tank with the only means of escape being the feeder flap. I'm not confident I can keep any flies in with my front-opening Exo-Terra but maybe his fly catching will have improved by then. He kinda won't eat any other feeders anyway until he catches the Hard Mode Prey. :lol:
Follow on Instagram!
Poggerna
Hatchling Poster

Postby Faith331 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:12 pm

Poggerna wrote:
Faith331 wrote:Mine is still learning to trust me. I don't know what he got exposed to in his previous home, but he's very nervous of the other animals, and the tv, and outside...

Oh, Ardie loved phoenix worms too in his first month. But those were also his main staple with a side of silks so not surprisingly, I think he got sick of them, LOL.

He'll probably come around EVENTUALLY. I just hope my phoenix worms aren't all flies by then (not that he minds chasing flies; that time I had 3 flies emerge, he was in full HUNT MODE. I wish I could have caught his stalking on camera because boy did he love it.

The first fly, he snapped up in front of me (though I didn't spot the fly going in directly, I saw him chewing after snapping something up midair). The second fly, after repeated bad luck catching it and Fly #3, he went all the way over to the cool end, waited for the flies to land on his rock, crept to the base, paused......and CHARGED right into them. One fly made the mistake of banking near his mouth and got eaten. The other escaped, but presumably was eaten later when I wasn't there because no more fly. :lol:

Of course, that happened in his old top-opening tank with the only means of escape being the feeder flap. I'm not confident I can keep any flies in with my front-opening Exo-Terra but maybe his fly catching will have improved by then. He kinda won't eat any other feeders anyway until he catches the Hard Mode Prey. :lol:

Adorable! There are people who intentionally let them become flies because they are slow enough to catch. It's good enrichment.

Also, to prevent them from growing/changing into flies, you can keep them at 50-60F, in the fridge can kill them, so I don't recommend that
Faith331
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Previous

Return to Beardie Tales