Broly the new super saiyan beardie

This forum is specifically for people who want to share day-to-day stories about their beardies... the weird or fun stuff. This is not a forum for seeking help, but more just for sharing the cuteness that is your beardie.

Re: Broly the new super saiyan beardie

Postby SHBailey » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:57 am

So the Alaskan heat wave continues – at least two more days of this insanity predicted with temps in the mid 80s today and maybe low 80s or high 70s tomorrow, :roll: then it’s supposed to drop into the mid 70s. :blob5: We try to cool off the house in the evening or early morning when the temperatures drop, but we don’t feel safe leaving the windows open when we’re asleep, so the house retains heat and doesn’t cool off much before the next day. :( We have a HEPA filter that makes a pretty good fan, but it doesn’t cool the air like an air conditioner, just moves it around, which does help a little.

Hoping I can get through the next few days, and hoping it will get cooler after that, and maybe some much needed rain. My husband reminds me that this is Alaska and it’s inevitable that it will cool off sooner or later, and then I’ll probably be complaining about the cold. :wink: Oh well.

Me too with the insomnia, and the heat doesn’t help. And then I have no energy to get up and get anything done even though I can’t sleep. It kind of sucks. :banghead:

I never thought about it that carnivorous plants could be a lot like bearded dragons in that if you try to feed them something that’s too big for them to swallow, they can be injured or even killed. :shock:

Sounds like springtails could be either beneficial or detrimental to the plants. I hope you can figure it out, but I think it might be a fairly good guess that if you found one springtail, there are probably more of them, so I hope it turns out that they’re doing more good than harm. :?

Poor California got the one-two punch with the earthquakes last week. The first one was bad enough, but then they had another one that was even worse – the same magnitude as the one we had here last November – I’d say one of the two worst earthquakes I’ve lived through in my whole life. That’s with the understanding that I wasn’t here for “The Big One” in 1964.

As for the fires, California seems to get them just about every summer lately, even worse nowadays than when I lived there over 20 years ago. They’re a problem here too when we have a hot dry summer like this one because we have so much forest land.

Anyway, I’m glad you found out that your friend in California got through it ok. :)

Yeah, it’s kind of frustrating when you think your beardie has put on some weight and it turns out to be nothing but poop. :roll: Puff’s weight continues to be more or less stable. My husband figures that his current “net weight” :wink: (beardie tissue minus poop and food with probably average hydration) is somewhere around 517 grams, and that’s probably within a fairly comfortable healthy range for his size. If I remember correctly, he’s about 2 inches shorter than Broly.
SHBailey
Sub-Adult Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby BlueDragon09 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:13 am

Hey,

The weight was definitely nothing but crap..hes 549 instead. It's not a big drop as I didn't get the weight after he did business. Idk the real weight. 572 isn't real it was full of waste. 549 more acceptable and again he didn't go potty yet.

I read sarracenia are sun lovers so maybe they're much more like bearded dragons than any other plant. All of them like sun. Idk how anyone can say a plant likes sun more than another...who knows.

It's been a weird summer lately. Either really warm or rainy and cold...our house heats up too. It's supposed to rain and be cold today and tomorrow. We're not supposed to get rain in summer so it's strange this year. We get a lot of partly to mostly cloudy. Doesn't feel like summer...more like winter without the drop to 37 deg.

I have had experience with springtail. They were all over my pots last summer. My plants all grew just fine. Idk if they damage young plants are not...I never had a problem.
My young plant going pretty well so I suppose they're not hurting him (yes I give my plants genders). My parents never thought it was weird. My sister and brother on the other hand...anyway...he's doing ok, growing slowly because summer is being wonky and he's probably confused. My other plants are used to crazy changes.

Ugh, insomnia puts me to sleep at ungodly hours. It's sometimes 5 or 6a. I feel so tired and I have some daytime animals and they're not waiting till 8p to get fed. Tom gets home at 8 most nights. Sometimes 5 but that's rare. I do my hardest to get out of bed no matter how tired. I feed my horses, dogs, cats,hedgehog, fish/frogs and my daytime geckos along with the dragons. Then at night it's the leopard geckos. I also take care of my african grey parrot.
Been diagnosed with asperger's syndrome.
BlueDragon09
BD.org Addict

Postby SHBailey » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:08 am

Hi…

It sounds like Broly is probably a healthy normal weight for his size, with or without the extra weight from the poop. :)

I guess the way it goes is that all plants need light – it’s how they make their “food,” but some plants are more able to tolerate direct sunlight and heat while others need partial shade and cool. It’s my understanding that even carnivorous plants get energy from light, but they get extra nutrients from the bugs they eat, so sometimes they can live in soil that lacks some of those nutrients because they’re getting them from another source. It’s amazing how many different ways living things find to survive, plants and animals both. Apparently the springtails have some way of not getting eaten by the carnivorous plants. :?

Some of our trees have names and supposed genders too, even though I know most of them have both male and female parts on the same tree, except for the cottonwoods. The ones by our house are apparently male, because they have never produced the fluffy stuff, which is supposedly a female thing. I think of our apple trees as female because they bear fruit. So I don’t think there’s anything weird about giving your plants names and genders – if so, then I’m weird too. :mrgreen:

I used to have a poinsettia that my sister gave me for Christmas one year. It had beautiful red flowers when it arrived, but they didn’t last very long. I managed to keep it alive for several years until it outgrew the window and I gave it to someone who had more room for it to keep growing :wave: , but it never flowered again while I had it, and I figured that was probably because it was “confused,” as you say. Me with my insomnia, I would get up and turn on the lights now and then at all hours of the night, and supposedly they need a solid 14-15 hours of total darkness per day in order to flower. Oh well.

Our heat wave seems to have ended too, at least for now. They’re not expecting a good drenching rain for a while, like what we need to put the fires out, just maybe a few “splash and dash” showers. But at least the house has mostly cooled off and we’re a little more comfortable – turning Puff’s heat lamps back on and up. They had a fire in the woods near my sister’s house, but apparently they were able to put it out before it damaged any homes. My husband goes by there on his way to work and says he didn’t see anything out of the ordinary, but he did see one of the city water trucks finally doing their job. :blob8: People have been complaining that they haven’t been watering the park lands enough lately.

I’ve probably said it before but I’ll say it again – I don’t know how you manage to keep dragging yourself out of bed every day and take care of all those critters, :shock: and me with one little beardie and my husband has to help me. :oops: And I guess I shouldn’t complain about my husband not getting home until 7pm because it could be worse! At least nowadays he’s got a job that he really loves, and his supervisors and coworkers treat him with respect. :D It hasn’t always been that way.
SHBailey
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby BlueDragon09 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:37 pm

Hey,

The extra humidity has died down. I don't know how much more I could stand it.

Tom wonders how I get up every morning as early as 10a and get everything situated. I have a lot to care for so many animals and plants...I gotta give water. My animals were hot with the extra humidity hanging around. No reptile was harmed with RI during the humidity rise. Plants loved it.

Springtails don't do any harm. They don't get detected by carnivorous plants because they don't go up the plant they stay by the soil. The base of the plant in my experience is where they stay and breed. My youngest "son" sarracenia isn't affected at all. He's still growing that fifth pitcher.
He's also stopped curling up on me and learned to like full sun. I think he was raised in a greenhouse. Now he sits out for 3-5 hours (depending on weather) with his brothers and sisters.

All animals are fine.

Yes, Tom gets home at 8, he leaves like 740 most nights. We have dinner around 9p and then to bed 1030-11...my lousy sleep schedule Im up longer than him. I go to bed 4-5a these nights now...and get 5-6 hours of sleep a night before getting up and taking showers and feeding/cleaning everyone. Harder part is trying to get everyone ready before I leave so my friend doesn't have too much on her hands. I'll have to find time to get the fish/frog tanks water changed at a good day so next week when Im gone Im not sitting around worrying about them getting sick because no one will do water changes. I may do it Tue morning the day before leaving so the week after, Tue won't be a big deal as Im home Sat late night.

My friend loves my african grey parrot so she's definitely staying over my house. He's 9 years old now and he definitely loves conversations.

TLDR.
Been diagnosed with asperger's syndrome.
BlueDragon09
BD.org Addict

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Previous

Return to Beardie Tales