Sarth, Daeds, & Starling **5/28 First Camping Trip Pics!**

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figured I would post some pics of Sarth...even though he hasn't been eating very well the past month he still finds every opportunity to be cute! I think I might just keep adding pics to this thread along with my blog, we will see!

The most recent ones are at the top.

I thought this was adorable...he was kind of lounging against the glass, looking at me like "what?!"
P1010416.jpg

Just trying out a close-up of his face...it's hard to get good pics during the weekdays when the sun is going down by the time I get home
P1010415.jpg

Scoping out his rearranged tank
P1010413.jpg

Morning stretches, as usual :)
P1010408.jpg

Him looking *really* grumpy sitting in the sun on the back of our recliner. And I put his tail like that, lol
P1010403.jpg

My husband took this :roll:
P1010399.jpg

A rare shot of him actually eating his salad
P1010397.jpg

Watching Glee with me!
4f7abf91.jpg

He loves to explore the coffee table, not sure why
802855e6.jpg

I did not put him like this, lol. I should have entered it in this months photo competition!
P1010388.jpg

Him still being really mad from the vet's visit the night before. He looked so hilarious, all puffed up with the black beard. I started petting him and he deflated while managing to look confused.
grumpy.jpg

Just looking cute. This was right around when he stopped eating about a month ago.
P1010334.jpg

JenFid

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hah ok, I don't feel so bad now :mrgreen:

Daedles seems to be having some issues digesting...I've found quite a few hornworms...I'm not even sure what to call them. Skins? In her poop. I even had to pull one out of her butt! *shudders*. It's basically a hornworm with nothing inside it. This tells me she's not basking long enough, but I'm not sure what I can do. I measured her basking spot with my shiny new temp gun and it clocks in at 100 degrees, so that should be fine for her to digest, I'm guessing once I leave for work she leaves her basking spot and just glass dances like she usually does to get out. Starling and Sarth aren't having these issues so that's the only thing I can think of.

I did weigh her last night, she's up to about 495 vs the 470 she was back on the 9th, so that's good. Her fat pads aren't really filling in yet either and it's been about 3 weeks since she laid that last clutch. I'm giving her liquid vits and calcium every other day or so, so she's covered on that end.

I wonder if she's possibly making another clutch. Sigh!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
She could be, I'm also wondering if a probiotic would help her. Can you give her some in the am before you feed her. When you get home from work can you make her bask again? She has to bask at least 2 hours to digest properly. What time do you get home? I'd try that, see if you can keep her under her light at night again, plus the probiotic, that should all help.

Aren't our girls stubborn?

JenFid

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Stubborn for sure! Nate certainly didn't give her the nick name "Rage-alus" because she's a calm stoic lizard :roll:

I do have a couple probiotics for them, one in powder form and some acidiophilus, the stuff in the glass bottle that comes with the dropper. I get home around 5 but lights are on until 8ish. I'll try giving her the liquid in the morning, she'll take that right from a syringe :roll: Then I can feed her when I get home and make her bask until it's almost lights out time.

Sometimes she basks for hours, sometimes she wants nothing to do with that and just wants out. I'm going to have to feed Starling with my back to Daedles in the morning now so she can't see what she's missing out on!

Hopefully that will help. I think I will still give her some collards/squash in the morning, she seems to be fine with those, it's just the bugs. Thanks for the suggestion!

SDragon

Juvie Member
JenFid":1gldxfp6 said:
sweetiepie9":1gldxfp6 said:
So Mulder went in today? I'm sure he'll be fine, too. I'll just be worried until I hear she's ok.

I feed mine, too, on occasion but I make Cierra, Nathaniel and Puff's bowls are always full of food. I haven't tried squash on the twins yet, how do you prepare it for yours?
I just buy a squash from the store (usually around $1-2), cut off a slice from the top, peel it, then dice it up. The squash will keep for quite awhile, even in the fridge, I keep it in a ziplock bag. I used to buy pre cut-up squash chunks but found they don't last nearly as long and are more expensive anyway. Sometimes if it's a bigger slice and I know they won't eat it all, I put the extra diced bits in a small tupperware.

SDragon":1gldxfp6 said:
Sorry, I'm not a thread regular, I did want to add that its not really ideal to cross contaminate feeders between species. (Truthfully I wouldn't do it between Dragons knowing one is A+ but that is based on precaution over fact)
Sorry I just now saw your post! I'm not sure what you mean, cross contaminate between which species? The bugs? I don't mix those together, they all stay in their separate bins. Or do you mean feeding two dragons from the same dish?

edit - I think I see what you mean, I forgot I mentioned Linus the gecko. He does not eat from any dish, I have to hand feed him. I am careful with my girls, and am going to order an adeno test for Starling. Given her lineage, I would not be surprised at all if she was also A+, but we shall see.

Yes I meant taking food from one lizards dish and feeding to another rather than dish sharing.

JenFid

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Weather is slowly but surely turning around here. I fed the girls when I got home yesterday, and Sarth was standing at the front of his tank looking like he wanted out, so I took him outside for a bit of sun with the dog and cats. It was just warm enough! He did pretty well, he is such a good boy when he doesn't think there are ladies around :roll: When I put him away he promptly repeated what he did in the above picture.

Starling's adeno test is here, she pooped right away this morning before I found it in the mail though so we'll have to wait until tomorrow to collect.

So I went to work a bit late this morning and got to witness some Daedles antics that I don't usually see. She was basking when I went downstairs about 7am. I gave her a squirt of probiotics and also a small pile of greens with the powder version sprinkled on top. About 5 minutes later she's glass dancing to get out (she had pooped already and I had cleaned it). I couldn't get her to hold still so I set her on the couch and she sat looking out the window pretty happily for about 20 minutes. I put her back and basked a bit, before she started glass dancing again, plus another mini poop. She must be making eggs if she's doing those. She'll have to come to the cabin with us I think, so I'll need to bring the travel bin with us, and Starling can stay in that.

The girls will get their turn outside today, supposed to be 72 and stay sunny.

Couple pics of Sarth "enjoying" being outside ;)
IMG_20150520_182142727_zpszzgp8shx.jpg

IMG_20150520_184119103_zpspxnmmt58.jpg

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
He looked like he was enjoying being out in the sun. I got Leo out this am, he normally hates being out of his tank, but he stayed out for 1/2 an hr, I was very proud of him.

Sounds like eggs to me, too, nothing like having to change your plans because of eggs :roll: Hopefully she lays them while you're away.

JenFid

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ugh, such a bad weekend for weather! I was really hoping for some warm and sunshine so I could get the girls outside and let Daeds dig in the nice sandy beach. Instead it was just constant rain and wind from Saturday all the way through Monday evening. To make it even worse I forgot their hornworms at home :oops: So they had to subsist off fresh picked dandelion greens and whatever fruit was in the house. They had to stay in their tanks most of the weekend since it was too chilly for them to be out very long.

So no eggs, obviously. I kept Daeds in the travel bin since it's smaller and I wanted to make sure she stayed warm. I'd let her out when she wanted out, but as soon as I brought her to the living room she would just freeze and sit on the cat bed without moving, lol. Starling wasn't much better, she'd just find the warmest person and wiggle up against them. Stupid weather! Of course when we got home yesterday the sun came out and I got everyone outside for maybe 30mins or so.

So not the most fun, I did get lots of cute pics though. It was our first car ride to the cabin with all the animals (except Sartharion) with us, so it was about as interesting as it sounds, lol!

Oh yes, Friday was beautiful...so Daedalus was digging in our yard, and Ponzu runs over to her. She sniffs around, checking the situation out, then also starts digging. Funniest thing I've seen, I'll have to get a video of it next time.
IMG_20150522_172625_zpslrm3toqz.jpg

IMG_20150525_161214962_zpslv8kfdl4.jpg

IMG_20150523_171244892_HDR_zps3q2djpqy.jpg

IMG_20150523_175729415_zpsx5mtjktv.jpg

IMG_20150523_193926086_zpsgsq7v3pw.jpg

IMG_20150524_201407243_zpsmfw60hju.jpg

IMG_20150525_143506534_zpsbb6usbpg.jpg

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Looks like your kittens and dragons get along wonderfully well. I laughed so hard when I saw that picture of Ponzu digging with Daeds, did that work for Daeds to have the added help? Hope she lays her eggs soon!

BrendaKay

Juvie Member
Finally caught up on your thread. I love the pix of everyone in the car!! And the dragon purse, that was funny too. I do plan on bringing Sidney on an outing like that soon and see how he handles it. Maybe the next vineyard wine tasting we do. I'm sure he'd love it.

JenFid

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
BrendaKay":bcvmexrl said:
Finally caught up on your thread. I love the pix of everyone in the car!! And the dragon purse, that was funny too. I do plan on bringing Sidney on an outing like that soon and see how he handles it. Maybe the next vineyard wine tasting we do. I'm sure he'd love it.
Haha yes, the purse, I never had to use it with Scully much because she was so laid back, but it works well for my jumpy little Starling. Ponzu insists on riding on the dash of whatever car we're in, Mulder prefers a lap or a bed though. The lizards will sit and bask until they see something scary like a stop light, then they're leaping on to my lap.

sweetiepie9":bcvmexrl said:
Looks like your kittens and dragons get along wonderfully well. I laughed so hard when I saw that picture of Ponzu digging with Daeds, did that work for Daeds to have the added help? Hope she lays her eggs soon!
Isn't that pic great? She did it again on Monday evening, but Ponzu got so into the digging Daeds left, lol!
And she did lay her eggs last night...26 this time. I left her to her own devices in the bathroom, since I can't keep the tub out where the cats can jump in. She dug, laid, buried, and was basking when I came in to check on her, so I moved her back to her tank. She pushed one more egg out and was glass dancing...so I took her out and gave her a soak and a dose of calcium while I dug the eggs out. Tried to get her to bask but she was having none of it, so I just put her on a pillow and covered her up and put her to sleep :roll: Same deal this morning except I think she saw the feeder dish in my hand. She was basking when I left for work, so let's hope she can cool it with the crazies and eggs for a little bit. I'm trying to remember if she laid 3 or 4 clutches last year, this was her 3rd already!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Yes, hopefully only 1 more if she has to lay more & that's it for the rest of the year. I'm glad she's doing so well! That's so funny that Ponzu took over, so Daeds left :lol: Nothing like a kitten interfering with your business, right :mrgreen: Glad she's done for now anyway.

JenFid

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hi all, well we had a nice weekend this last one. No rain, just lots of sunshine. Temps were mild but still fine to bring the girls out.

Daeds has finally settled down...starting on Thursday she has completely switched from never wanting to bask to not moving from her basking spot. Sitting on the couch, when I look back to check on her she is usually snoozing, eyes closed but head still up. I weighed her a few days ago and she was 453g, that's the lightest she's ever been :? I'm not real pleased about that but she's eating her worms (her poop finally looks normal now that she's basking), taking her calcium and vits, and not acting lethargic, so hopefully she will put that weight back on. I've got a couple horn worm cups and the worms should be big enough in a couple days, but she enjoys her supers. Poor girl, I'm sure she's recuperating from having 2 clutches in a row.

Luckily the weather has been great the last 4 days (rain for the next 4 starting tomorrow!) so I've gotten her and Starling out every day for at least 30 mins when I get home from work. And wouldn't you know it, Starling has been holding her poop in the last couple days and will go as soon as I put her in the grass :lol: Not sure what it is about being in the grass that makes them go, Daeds does it too. I don't mind, one less mess I have to clean up. They both get pretty excited when they get to be "wild" lizards and I've gotten a couple puffs and flared beards from them both when I go to pick them up :roll: Starling loves slithering through the grass, and Daeds will just run around and even beard and bob at Starling (who of course ignores her).

Starling is doing well, growing and eating like a champ, I need to get a current weight/length on her! I think I should have her adeno results this week. She's going through a full body shed at the moment - her head, tummy, and legs have finished mostly but her whole back/tail has been white for about a week, so any day now and I'm sure I'll come home to an exploded skin dragon.

A few pics!
Starling loses her basking spot (Nate texted this to me)
IMG_20150529_115034_zpssw77anki.jpg

IMG_20150528_181503803_zpslorqorrr.jpg

IMG_20150530_123858574_HDR_zpsci6shbwn.jpg

Nate texted this to me as well asking "maybe we should get her a better basking spot?" lol. I had to take away the hammocks because she would poop on them and then just sit in her poo -_- but I put one back in today, we'll see what I come home to.
IMAG0136_zpsa24bn5jj.jpg

Starling tucking into my armpit for bedtime
IMG_20150530_022014682_zps1ltrjsbi.jpg

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Awww, those pictures are great, especially Mulder taking over Sparling's basking spot. They are so funny, liking to poop outisde & be on the "wild" side. Glad you have a backyard for them to slither through & dance around in. Hope the adeno test on Sparling comes back negative.

So I have news, my friend Sabrina in Lousisana has offered me a 9 mo old male from a coupling of her female Draca and one of her males (this was an oops, he jumped over the tank top & got into Draca's tank). So 23 babies later, she's sold all but 7 and this big male was the one she'd always hoped I'd want. He's being shipped on Tuesday next week and I'll have him on Thursday. Hopefully all goes well. So meet Castiel:
11887-7501399456.jpg

He's already 19" long a 9 mo old, so he's a big boy. I decided, after Puff passed away, no more girls. Cierra is away from the boys, in the dining room, but doesn't mind being on the ramp or running around the living room, but they can't get at her (not anymore at least!). I took her to the vet yesterday, her fecal was clear and my vet found her to be very healthy, yeah! So I'll let you know when Castiel is home. I happen to have next Thursday off for a morning appointment, so I'll be able to get over to pick him up. I'm so happy!

JenFid

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Awwe what a cutie! 19" at 9 months wow :shock: That's about how big Scully was at that age, so definitely a big boy! I love the name too, Castiel, very Renaissance-y! How exciting for you! :blob8: I'll be sure to keep an eye on your thread as well!

JenFid

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Well, I got Starling's adeno test back from Tracie last night, and unfortunately she is positive. While it is a bummer I'm not very surprised. It is good to know though.

Daedles seems to have bounced back these last couple days, although I'm not sure how much of a good thing that is...she had some smeared poo in her tank yesterday, which I cleaned up (all looked good and digested). This morning though she was glass dancing. Nate, who is working from home, said she pooped again and he cleaned it up before she could step in it, but there were some undigested bits in it, which means she wasn't basking much yesterday :? So 2 poops in as many days and restlessness, if she is preggo again...ugh this is so frustrating, it has only been a week since her last clutch! She had *no* fat left on her after the last one, can her body really be ramping up for clutch #4? Makes no sense to me. To make it worse Nate and I are leaving on vacation in exactly 3 weeks. Sigh. If this really is another clutch, I'm going to have to get her to the vet after she lays and talk about fixing her.

Other than that, we have been suffering through a couple days of rain. Tomorrow the forecast is 77 and mostly sunny though! Before it goes back to more rain for the weekend. Fingers crossed we get that sunshine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom