Nathaniel, Cierra, Castiel, Freya, Grrl; RIP GABRIEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
We never expected to get another dragon, but our neighbours next door wanted to give away Cleo, as he was called. We'd babysat him before, he's such a sweetheart. We nicknamed him Velcro because when he snuggles he never wants to go back to his viv, he hangs on as if he's made out of velcro.

So here he is. Today was his first day with us. He ate 13 supers and ate some squash, not bad for the first day he was here. He's only in a 30 gallon tank, which will be ok for now. He's 18" long but weighs only 200g. We figure he's probably 2 yrs old. Our neighbours rescued him last fall, they found him and a female (which they named Puff) on Craig's list. They were in a 30 gallon dirty tank, with sand and a huge log that took up 1/2 the space in the tank. Leo was at the bottom, he was sooooo skinny. He's gained weight, but never got the attention he deserved. I took some pics today, but will take more tomorrow. I think he remembers our place as didn't get stressed as I expected. No stress marks at all. When we let him run around the living room, he noticed our girls and immediate black beard, so his hormones are working!

He had a bath this morning, had a big poop, no smell, so not worried about parasites.

So here are a few pics, he's a yellow & dark gray, light gray colour.

Under the communal power sun in the living room:
sweetie2008401.jpg

Discovering there are girls in those tanks up above, he has a great black beard for such a skinny boy:
sweetie2008403.jpg

On the couch, he's got a pretty diamond pattern on his back:
sweetie2008412.jpg

sweetie2008413.jpg

Hope you enjoy
Deb and my six dragons :D :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: :( :love5:

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Atta boy Rocco! I bet if I got one I wouldn't be able to hold it. Glad Nathaniel shed his face. I agree Puff gaining is a good sign. Gabriel is feeling better? That's great. Leo won out of 50 huh? Someone had good taste! I agree he deserves to be a banner for a week.

Bunny is so cute! I love her colors, is she a dalmation crestie by any chance? I saw one at the pet store I had to resist as it's too cold on the coast.

Isn't it great to stay at home and enjoy beardies. Not enjoyable if they're sick or you. Have fun, Deb!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Thanks Kami, I like having days off where I just have my beardies to play with. I went out to visit a friend today, but not for long, then food shopping but I still had all morning with them. Now to clean up Nathaniel's poop. It's his turn to be out for awhile. The rest are all asleep but Cierra, she can't decide what to do. Guess it's time to cover her up for the night. Light (and it's getting dark later now, always keeps her awake.

I'm very pleased that Puff is gaining weight daily, so is Nathaniel, which is good to see.

Gabriel is only that pretty yellow colour when he's happy with his world. He's got more places that are starting to shed, he's such a piece by piece dragon when it comes to shedding.

I really enjoyed having Rocco on my hand, it doesn't happen often. Bunny sat on my wrist on Thursday night when a friend called, me she never does that either, so that was a bonus, too!

JenFid

Sub-Adult Member
Deb, love the pics of your crew, I'm glad you were able to get Puff's spay scheduled!

Also hope you hear good news about that lump :shock:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Hi Jen, yes it was good to get a good pic of Rocco, it was also amazing that he sat on my hand for so long :love5:

As for the lump, my doc & I both think it's a cyst, but better to check it out anyway. I seem to be full of them & have been for years, they move around, disappear, come back, it's annoying :lol:

Less than a month for Puff, if I can keep the weight on her. So far she's eating well and gaining daily...we'll see closer to the date. I'm just so hoping that she's done with eggs, even though she's low bobbing the boys every chance she gets.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Oh how happy I am for you and Puff to have a scheduled date for her to be spayed. She is an egg machine. Glad that she and Nathaniel are gaining weight. Once Puff is spayed, if like most other animals, she will gain so you may have to watch that carefully.
I just love looking at the pictures of your crew. They all look so happy and content. Cierra, I love that name, is so pretty.
Mine are out roaming around on the bed since both poohed and I don't have to worry about them going on my bed. Emily is climbing Neptune, my border collie, he just loves her to death and holds so still when she is sitting on his fur. Lucky he likes her. Khai my husky, is guarding Emmett as usual, she thinks shes his babysitter for some reason :lol:

brandymulvaine

Hatchling Member
Hello! I was directed to your thread when I was looking for info on my beardie Charlotte and have been reading for several days now, starting at the beginning. :study: (I'm back in the fall of 2011)
I wanted to come up to the present and say how admirable you are, not only your beardie dedication but in life also. I hope to catch up to the present soon :wink: so I can ask some questions! I might find the answers as I read too. Who knows? Going back to read some more...

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Hi Tonja, your dogs made me laugh the way they love your beardies, especially your guard dog. Sounds like you always have fun with your crew, too. I was just admiring Emilio's colours, he's going to be just stunning when he's full grown.

Thanks for enjoying the pictures, I can't seem to stop myself :lol: When I have a minute that camera just jumps into my hand.

I'm very pleased that both Puff and Nathaniel are gaining weight. Nathaniel loves his worms, he ate 1/2 his dish up again today. And Cierra loves her roaches, especially those two males she gets every morning (I always have lots of extra males, so glad I have a dragon that will eat them now). She's getting lighter by the week, too, such pretty colours on her now. She's getting used to pooping in the bath, too, just a little massage and bang!

I'm glad I got a week off for after Puff's spaying, too, it will make me feel better that I'm not leaving her along for 6 days, then a day at work, then another day off, then back to work regularly again. I'm hoping there will be no complications but I do have some vacation time set aside for July/Aug, so can always switch over.

Welcome Brandy! You're reading my whole thread :shock: That's alot of pages. It doesn't matter if you find info in my thread, just ask any questions you have and I will do my best to answer them. I love the pic of Charlotte, she is very pretty. :D

Tonja

BD.org Addict
posted new pictures of my last artsy project if you want to see her. I am very proud of this project.

brandymulvaine

Hatchling Member
Aw thanks, Deb! Charlotte is my Sweetie :love5: :love5: :love5:
I've gotten to the part in your thread were you've lost Sweetie and I've bawled and bawled....
Charlotte is 2.5 yrs (I have two other beardies also) and since Christmas she's laid about 120 eggs. After this last clutch she lost the fat pads on her head and her boobies. I've been worried about her so I started hand feeding her a couple of times a day some cc, squash, baby food, and honey. Mixed up and put in a syringe. She's doing good, eating regular meals and baths every few days. We even got to go outside last week! Right now she's in front of the window on a heating pad watching the snow(with a big grumpy face!) I just worry about the loss of fat, she does have a pancake(love that!) again so boobies should be next? Thanks for listening, it's nice talking with someone who speaks beardie!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Hi Brandy,
I'm going through the same thing with Puff now, but she's 8 years old. It always takes time to get their weight back up, they can lose 100g with each clutch and it's worrying when they're so close together. Puff's the same, she just laid her 5th clutch on April 5 and she's just starting to gain weight now. Because of her age my vet is going to spay her on May 14, I'm so hoping there's not another clutch coming, that she'll just get her weight back up and be able to have the surgery. It's only because of her age, if she was younger she wouldn't be having the surgery.

The only think I would highly recommend is to give her daily liquid calcium. Sweetie never did make up the calcium she lost when she had so many clutches, I just couldn't keep up, so for Puff, I had a blood test done on her to make sure her calcium levels were regular and I give her liquid calcium twice a week. When I know she's going to lay I up that to once daily for a couple of weeks, then after she lays, back to twice a week. I highly recommend it. Another think I find that helps with appetite is Carnivore Care, I get it from my vet. It's a protein mix that really helps with appetite. Another think I use (I get these liquids from www.bug-de-lite.com) is Acidophilus and Electrolytes. I gave Puff 1cc of Electrolytes every 2 days when she gets a bath & the Acidophilus when she lays her eggs, I mix it with the Carnivore Care and baby food (chicken w/veg and butternut squash). I'd also recommend, instead of giving your girl honey, to get bee pollen, which is much better for them. I also mix that with the carnivore care mix. You can get that at any healthy food store, if in capsule form, just take apart the capsule. I get it from www.beardeddragon.co. I've found my crew really like it.

I can't think of anything else to help with the eggs. Hopefully your sweet girl is done for now. Any other questions, just let me know. If I don't know the answer, I'll find it for you. If you're really worried about her, get a blood test done by your vet, it will tell you if her levels are all normal.

JenFid

Sub-Adult Member
Good advice about egg laying - I got the bee pollen from Whole Foods here and it's in little tiny balls. I basically just dip my finger in the bottle, then let the girls eat the balls off my finger, they love that stuff. The liquid calcium is great too, Daedles likes it so much that she bites the syringe when I bring it over and it's super easy to squirt it in her mouth :roll:
I found feeding hornworms to be a good way to put weight back on too :)

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Well, we had 3 sunny days and now we're back into almost winter weather, sigh...

But I got this great picture of Puff sunning, she was sure enjoying herself!
11887-9928791881.jpg

Then pics of the twins swimming in their baths:
11887-427941019.jpg
11887-5904584927.jpg

Bunny was waiting for crickets on a night she wasn't getting any (I feed her every other night)
11887-3258762220.jpg
Realizing that I'm not going to feed her :lol:

I have Cierra out for awhile first thing in the morning now to watch TV and I feed Puff while Cierra is on the ramp. Well, this morning Ceirra decided that SHE wanted the yummy worms I was throwing at Puff to chase (it's our morning ritual) and she'd run down and gobble down the worm and run back to the ramp, little brat. :lol: So Puff stopped eating, but she'd already had her fill by then. I weighed her and she's up to 424 from 411 on Sunday, so she's steadily getting there. YEAH!

11887-7325630076.jpg

And I found this on another site, made me chuckle.
11887-3078670497.jpg

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Bunny walked off to sulk because she didn't get any wormies on an off night? :laughing6:

So Cierra pulled a stealth worm bite, huh? Too funny!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
It was hilarious Gina, she was SO fast, even Puff didn't notice her at first. Then I grabbed one to put it closer to Puff and she grabbed that one, too. She is still an eating machine. I just don't give her supers because they give her the runs but one here and there doesn't seem to hurt her.

Nathaniel is starting to fill out, he's eating his bowl of supers daily now. In fact, I had to run to the pet shop and buy 200 more because I was running out!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I'll post more later, but it's official, Cierra is gravid and has tons of eggs. I can feel them all, so I think they're fertile. I've never been able to feel much in Puff. So Nathaniel did his job, even though I grabbed them apart...she's spending alot of time on her "beehive" and is loving being outside. I thought she was eating roaches from her dish until I found them all hiding under her basking spot last night. So she doesn't have any in her tank anymore and tomorrow I'll start feeding her the mix I make for Puff. She's getting bigger by the day, she is eating some of her greens, but that's it. So I'll be making up a dig box for her, will get that together tomorrow. I feel like such an ***** as this is all my fault :oops:

Puff is doing well, she's eating lots of supers and greens and running around. She's also got an almost full body shed going on, but nothings coming off yet.

Gabriel is still shedding, this is 3 mo now, still little bits and pieces and he feels yucky. So I've been putting Puff's bed on the ramp for him to lie on (he just looks so pathetic, such a drama king :lol: ) and he also sleeps on it at night. He really likes it, too.

Nathaniel is still my #1 brat, he's figured out how to climb the barrier out to the balcony and since it was sunny all day, he spent alot of time out there, even pooped out there, which is fine with me. I do have to get the balcony cleaned up, but one thing at a time.

More late & pics of Puff and Cierra sunning outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom