beardie seems lethargic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

neal

Hi all hope everybody`s ok!

I`ve owned my bearded dragon for about 11 month now, he`s 18 1/2 inch long but the past couple of days he`s seems abit sluggish, he`s been eating lettice & cabbage but not many crickets.
Am i just been abit paranoid?

I also have a female bearded dragon which is pregnant she`s quite skittish running up & down the tank, she`s 9 month old & 17inch.
Both lizards are in seperate tanks.

The female is the orange one!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, so your 9 month old is pregnant but they are in separate tanks? Is she carrying infertile or fertile eggs?
Have you bred them?
We need to know a little more on your setup, please.
What type & brand of UVB lights do you use, is it a flourescent tube bulb, or a compact or coil light? What type of basking light are you using, is it a bright white light or a colored light?
What type of thermometer are you using to measure your temperatures? A stick on type of thermometer, a digital probe or a temp gun? What are the temps?
Here is a great nutritional feeding chart for you to look over, to give you more feeding ideas:

http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

Cabbage & lettuce are not nutritious enough for staple foods. Cabbage is high in oxalates which will bind calcium absorption.
Are you supplementing calcium 5 times per week?

He could be trying to brumate, but, let's go over your setup first to determine whether or not it is a husbandry issue instead. Please answer the questions for us & we can direct you further.

Tracie

neal

Original Poster
Yeah the BD`s are seperate they went together for a few days, i don`t know whether the eggs are fertile or not! is therea way to tell?

The light bulb is a 2ft flourescent tube, it`s 20w repti-glo exo terra & thee heat bulb is just a white 24w.
The thermometer is a digital ETI Grow Cabinet Hygro-Thermo-meter. The temp under the heat bulb 28 degrees & humidity of 38% & the other side is 24 degrees & 40% humidity
And yes they get supplementary calcium it`s called Dragon dust made by T-rex.

Guaranteed analysis

Crude protein min 25%
Crude fat min 1.5%
Crude fibre max 3%
Moisture max 8%
Ash max 8%
Calcium (ca) min 14%
Calcium (ca) max 16%
Vitamin a acetate 20,000 IU /kilo
Vitamin d-3 min 4000 IU/kilo

Bty i`m having problems with the picture uploading!

Thanks alot Drache613

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

There is no way to determine whether or not the eggs are fertile or not. If they were together previously, then, it is a possibility that they are fertile yes. If that is the case, this is going to be very hard on her. It is not recommended that they be bred until around 2 years of age.
The Exo terra Reptiglo flourescent tube light, is it a 10 or an 8? The Reptiglo 10 is not a very good light I hate to say. The emissions are very poor & it does emit low wavelength UVB which can be harmful. It also does not emit favorable wavelengths for D3 sythesis either which can leave her vulnerable to metabolic bone disease.
You must be in the UK. Try looking for either the Reptisun 10 flourescent tube bulb, or the Arcadia D3 12% flourescent tube bulb. Where are the heat bulbs located? Are they all at one end?
So the basking temps are only 28C? That is not nearly high enough. The recommended basking temps are 35C to 43C & on the cool end the 24C is a little too low. The cool side temps should be around 26C to 28C.

The dragon dust is ok, but I feel when a supplement that has vitamins & calcium is given in combination that alot of times they do not get enough calcium. In her case, I feel she needs a straight calcium supplement. You should be able to find T rex bone aid which is a liquid, calypso calcium or sticky tongue miner-all products.
She is going to need a little extra calcium right now, because she is carrying eggs. You also need to make sure to get a better UVB light. Otherwise, without adequate UVB exposure, she wont be able to absorb her calcium & cannot support eggs or finish growing.

Please keep us posted on her.

Tracie

Dawnrider

Well I'm another metric illiterate American, so I had to run everything through a converter. The temperatures do seem low...not deadly so, perhaps unhealthy though. But that would explain the the lethargy. Your guy might think it is time to burmate. I hope this is helpful, and it is clear you care about your dragon, so please tell us more about his condition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom