How to feed pedialite

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikegatliff

Hi, I desparately need to get some nourishment into my two year old as he has not eaten for a couple weeks. THis concerned me, but he was this way last year too, in kind of a dormancy. BUt in the past two days he has had 5 BM's, which were very dark with some urid. BUt it just oooozes out, and he doesn't move of of it as normal. then yesterday, he turned very white and his beard darker than I have ever seen, and it has stayed this way. This morning after I spritzed him, his color returned. It drives me crazy that he has no interest in food. He does not appear to be dehydrated as I have seen it describen in here but I know he must get something in him. He is not skin and bones either. THough he is very lathargic, he will walk a bit here and there. I am eeping him pleanty warm and UV'd and all that. I just need to feed him (unless you tell me his white phase meant something else. Thank you

MIke

Oh, there is no way we can afford a vet - sorry

ashesc212

Sub-Adult Member
mikegatliff":bb1a0 said:
Hi, I desparately need to get some nourishment into my two year old as he has not eaten for a couple weeks. THis concerned me, but he was this way last year too, in kind of a dormancy. BUt in the past two days he has had 5 BM's, which were very dark with some urid. BUt it just oooozes out, and he doesn't move of of it as normal. then yesterday, he turned very white and his beard darker than I have ever seen, and it has stayed this way. This morning after I spritzed him, his color returned. It drives me crazy that he has no interest in food. He does not appear to be dehydrated as I have seen it describen in here but I know he must get something in him. He is not skin and bones either. THough he is very lathargic, he will walk a bit here and there. I am eeping him pleanty warm and UV'd and all that. I just need to feed him (unless you tell me his white phase meant something else. Thank you

MIke

Oh, there is no way we can afford a vet - sorry

My first suggestion would to be get a fecal sample just to make sure that he doesn't have parasites. Is there anyway you can have at least that done and not the full blown vet visit?

It's possible that he is in brumation. However, if you are really interested in feeding him why not provide a slurry? I use the pedialyte water mixture and syringe feed it into Kwayze's mouth to provide hydration. When I really want to feed her something substantial and she's not eating, I make a slurry of JumpStart Appetite Stimulant, Gerber Chicken baby food, pulverised collard greens, cactus leaf, some pedialyte, some acidophilus + ...really whatever I have on hand. Then I just syringe it into her mouth. JumpStart is a great supplement when they are not eating though. It is a little hard to feed by itself, however.

mikegatliff

Original Poster
Thank you for your reply. After not hearing from anyone for a while I read and read posts on here concerning pedailite. I did purchace some chicken baby food also and have mixed it with the pedialite. I will look for the jumpstart - is that somthing most pet stores would cary? Also, how much of this slurry should I be feeding a two year old. HE has regained his color and seems to be a bit more perky, but his beard is still quite blace. THanks again for your reply.

ashesc212

Sub-Adult Member
mikegatliff":84b82 said:
Thank you for your reply. After not hearing from anyone for a while I read and read posts on here concerning pedailite. I did purchace some chicken baby food also and have mixed it with the pedialite. I will look for the jumpstart - is that somthing most pet stores would cary? Also, how much of this slurry should I be feeding a two year old. HE has regained his color and seems to be a bit more perky, but his beard is still quite blace. THanks again for your reply.

Unfortunately, I'd be surprised if you could find it at a local pet store. Petmountain.com has it and that is where I purchased mine. I just feed my beardie the slurry until she refuses to cooperate lol...that's when I'm guessing she is done. I really don't know HOW much but I just wing it and try to feed a few syringes full. After a few days, I'd let up a little to give him a chance to start eating on his own. They can become lazy and dependent on being syringe fed. You want to give him the opportunity to become hungry again.

mikegatliff

Original Poster
Thanks again. SInce your first reply I read a very long article about brumation and now I am confused. I do see many of the things described about broumation, but now I am concerned because I am feeding him and the article says they should have empty stomachs for brumating. If I keep the heat levels up for him, will he digest ok during brumation? Should I keep feeding him? I am farily sure that he does not have a parasite since during this time of no eating there has been no noticable weight loss. Also, what really scared me the other day was his total loss of color, but that has been rectified. So I guess my question is - If he is brumating, should I still give him the slurry? Thanks in advance! :D

ashesc212

Sub-Adult Member
I think it's okay to feed him the slurry if you have him up and under the UVA and UVB lights for a portion of the day. If he is napping all day, then maybe not. I'm having this very dilemma with my beardie. She is sorta half-brumating if there is such a thing. My vet told me that it's not a good idea to let them brumate if they are under a year old so I keep her on our normal schedule. Since yours is not, you may want to let him brumate so long as you don't see any noticeable weight loss. The fact that he is having so many BMs MAY mean that he is trying to clear his system out for brumation. However, it is generally recommended that they get a fecal test before letting them go under.

Hope this helps.

mikegatliff

Original Poster
Sure, it all helps and yet still confused as all get out, lol! I think I will continue with the slurry and the heat and the light. His BM's are not real BM's, more like a squirt. BUt he seems healthy otherwise, but now I just do not know if I should just let him be or try to keep him going. I suppose there is no way to know for sure. What really scared me was the day he lost all color - he looked like a ghost and I thought for sure I would be burrying him the next day. SO far so good! Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom