Skin Discoloration

Status
Not open for further replies.

komodo9

Hi guys,

I'm pretty worried about my beardie right now. About 3-4 days ago, a white discoloration appeared on the top of his head. At first I thought he was beginning to shed, but after looking at it closer, it looks different than his skin normally does before he sheds. It hasn't noticeably changed in size over the past few days.

I've triple-checked all his lights, temperatures, and humidity levels. I'm pretty confident his environment is fine.

Have any of you seen something like this before? I've called around, but the only vets I could find near me that work on bearded dragons were either closed (MLK Day), or the reptile doctor was taking the day off today.

Thanks. :(

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/5149/thorvb8.jpg
thorvb8.jpg

wizbee

Juvie Member
Its hard to tell but it looks like shed to me. Have you tried soaking him in warm water and dribbling some on the area? Or lightly rubbing to see if it comes off?

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
It looks like shed to me also. Sometimes when they're older the shed is in very small spots and takes a while to come off.

Dawn

cloudnine

My oldest is nearly three and her shedding looks exactly like this and as stated already it does take a while sometimes for it to come off. Especially on their head like that because theres not alot of friction or movement there. I can remember Nigelum having a spot like that for almost a week (exact same place) and i touched here nose with the tip of my nail, right where it starts and it just fluttered right off. Dont force it tho. Keep us updated.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It really looks like shedding to me also. The only other thing it could be would be a burn, or a fungus. It doesn't appear to be a fungus though. As they get older, they shed in patches unlike babies who shed practically their whole body all at the same time.

Tracie

komodo9

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. That is reassuring.

I'm going to watch it closely for a few more days and see what happens.

Is there a general timeframe for the maximum time it normally takes to shed a patch like that? After how long until should I start worrying again? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom