Bowel Movement

Status
Not open for further replies.

robda

I'm very concerned about my beardie, he has gone from having a BM every day to none for the past three days. I can see that he is trying (straining) but nothing is happening. He has been eating and his activity level has been about the same. Should I continue to feed him or should I feed him something special?

WAFisherman

Hatchling Member
Will he eat greens? 3 days is no big deal really. But you can try to feed just greens or some soft worms like silkies. Hold off on crickets and mealworms (shouldn't eat those anyway) and super worms.

How old and long is he?

Are you temps good? What are they (basking, warm side, cool side) and how are you measuring? Temps are important in good digestion...

I'd also be sure to soak him daily in warm water for 2O mins. Have you been doing that?

What substrate is he on?

robda

Original Poster
Rex I am guessing is about a year old we got him when he was a baby(age unknown), prox. 5" from Petco and have had him since March about 12" including his tail. He has a basking side and a cool side in a 20 gallon tank. I am using Lizard Litter for substrate (says on the bag excellent for bearded dragons) crushed walnut shells. I am using a heat and fluorescent lamp which has the dual blacklight heat lamp which I have been alternating on most all the day day/night as our temps have been cold this week. Tried the bath yesterday (nothing) am going to try again today. Thanks for all the good info. Are waxworms what you call silkies? I usually feed the small crickets and regular size mealworms, of course he loves his fruits and veggies as well.

WAFisherman

Hatchling Member
Well, most here will tell you that the substrate you are using is not good as it can cause impaction if the beardie accidently ingests it. So your risk factor just bumped up from when I read your first post.

Then the mealworms... again, these put you in a higher risk category for impaction - especially for young beardies.

Between those 2 things, my original post of "no biggie" now bumps up to "I'd be concerned"....

You should also be in the process of finder a bigger tank. 40gal breeder tank or bigger.

Silkies are Silk Worms. White hairless catipillar type things.

You should aslo get a digital thermometer with probe. You can find a really good one for about 10-12 bucks at WalMart and other places call Acu-Rite. THey make many versions. I like the indoor\outdoor version (I use for hot side cold side) and also a humidity guage. I move the 'outdoor' probe to the basking spot now and then to be sure I'm getting that 105-110 temp range.

I'm also concerned about your UVB source. What are you using?

Again, proper husbandry in these areas will help ensure your beardie is health and happy. Proper temps help him digest better. Good diet and proper substrate will help you avoid impaction.

Look forward to an update!

robda

Original Poster
I'm concerned too..he definitely seems like he's not feeling well. Been for a swim last 2 days. No longer interested in food, greens have never really been his favorite but he loves strawberries, snubbed those as well. My biggest challenge to date in being a first time beardie owner is BAD information. Starting with the Petco employees, down to the print on the substrate bag. Frustrating!! What is the best substrate to use?

The light I am using is the R-Zilla Halogen/Fluorescent combo dome. We also try to spend a little bask time in the sun most days when it's not to chilly out (I live in North Florida) so typically it warms up enough to get it in. I do not have a temperature gauge, but will shop for one. I find he spends very little time on the cool side, he does have a nice hidey tunnel and plant. The bulk of his diet is meal worms and small crickets. Petco has been out of the mealworms so I just tried waxworms (not sure if they are same as silkies or not) they are soft whitish looking catapillars, bigger than I liked so he's only had a couple.

Last few days I could see him straining to try and go with no luck, but haven't even seen that today. I am going to try and get hime to a vet tomorrow, but do not currently have an appt. (Very few vets in my area that treat beardies) Hope mines working tomorrow! If he is impacted is it normally treatable?
Thanks for your good info. and concern!

WAFisherman

Hatchling Member
Unfortunately, while most mean well, many pet shop employees only know what they are taught from their company. And the companies often have contracts and want to sell certain things... Those things are not often the best, and often actually dangerous, to our beardies. Be careful of the vet as well. Search on here for 'impaction' and you'll find a TON of info.

If it were me, I'd dump the walnut shells and switch to paper towels (whole sheets, not shredded) or news paper until you've had a chance to do some more research (search this site for 'substrate' and you'll find SOOO many posts on it).

Keep up the bathing. The waxworms (no, not the same as silkies) will be better than the mealworms and may actually help with the impaction. They are soft, so no risk of impaction. But not good staples as they are too fatty. Try those for a few days + offering greens. Keep up the warm water soaks. Search here for 'soaking' and you'll find the best ways and correct temps for that. Should not really be a 'swim', but a soaking, where all 4 feet can touch bottom just fine so he doesn't HAVE to swim unless he just wants to thrash around like some do...

Judah'sHuman

Juvie Member
Hello~

Im sorry that your havign troubles. I dont believe that your lighting is a UVB bulb you will need to pick up at least a Repta sun 10.O floresent tub lamp (not a compact could bulb and not to be confused with repta glo) Or a mercuray vapor bulb. Also It sounds liek impaction so here is what you shoudl start to do:

First, Stop feeding any type of feeder. You will need to pcik up a baby med syringe you can get one at any pharmacey like rite aid or walgreens. Tehn pick up some organic baby food, carrots, squash, peas etc. you can also use bb chicken and turkey but you will need to mix those with a veggie (more veggie than protien is reccomended)> Then you may also want to pick up some pedia lite (its also in the baby section), and some acidophils capsules (you can also use soy yougurt, but the pills are better). And youll also need some olive oil

Mix about 1cc (ml) of the bb food with a few drops of olive oil, and you can add a lil bit of the peda lite and about 1/4 -1/4 of the acidophilis capsule. This is called a slurry. dap a bit on his lip and see if hell take it you may have to pry open his mouth and drop small amounts in. Please be carefull not to make him chock by putting to much in his mouth, wait for him to swallow before you shoot anymore in there. They are usually pretty good abot eatting the stuff though. Then wait about 1 hr and give a warm bath massagign the belly. Start at the arm pit and work your way down to the vent and do this for a lil while. Around bed time wrap him up on a wash cloth or dish towel and then place him on a heating pad (med-low heat) FYI this is the only time you want heat on the belly. and gently massage his back in downward stokes. WATCH OUT he may poo on you, it has happened to me.

give the slurry 2-3 times per day and you can also feed the bb food several times alone or with just the pedia lite. he should poo with in 24-48 hrs. If not then you def need to seek med attention because the impaction is really bad. (you may so be inclined to seek it in any case, but you can try this in the mean while and see if it helps him to poo. This is what they will do at the vet unless it is so bad it calls for surgury.

I hope this helps and good luck!
Stac

robda

Original Poster
You will all be happy to know (I know I was) Rex finally had a fairly good size BM. Can't tell you how much I appreciate all the good advice and what an amazing resource this website has been. Finally know there is someplace to turn when I have questions. As a first time beardie owner I thank you.

Judah'sHuman

Juvie Member
thats great news! Just keep an eye on him and you can always do streight bb food when he seems a lil stoped up. You took out the walnut shells right? You can also use tiles, Ceramic or slate or other natural types for a more perminate sustrate. Some people use washed play sand, but your beardie is pretty small for sand if he is ony 12" he is more likely to becoem impcated. Which is also a concern, if your beardie is about a year old he should be around 19-20 inches which could be due to the improper lighting and small tank.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's great that your beardie had a good sized poop. Must have been a relief to you and to him. I would definitely stay away from mealworms as they are a risk impaction. I also suggest that you get rid of the walnut shells right away because not only are they a big impaction risk but since they are sharp, they can tear a beardies insides when trying to pass them. You'd be better off using paper towels then switching to reptile carpet, slate tile or non-adhesive shelf liner.

It is very important that you get a good thermometer. Any type of stick-on, the strip or round gauge are very inaccurate. Without good temp readings he won't be able to digest his food well which can cause the food to rot in his stomach or cause impaction. Walmart has the AcuRite brand digital thermometers with a long wire & probe end for about $12.00. If you'd like me to post a picture of one, let me know. The only 2 ways to get good readings are with either a temperature gun or the one with a probe end.

You were given great info to help with his impaction. A couple of other foods that help are very warm babyfood applesauce and 100% canned pumpkin. Until he gets totally cleaned out, would be a good idea to feed very soft foods for at least a couple of days, then start the cricket feeding slowly to make sure he is pooping good. The sooner you get rid of the walnut shells, stop feeding the mealworms and get a good thermometer, the faster he will be doing better. good luck

robda

Original Poster
You guys rock...love all the great ideas! Wallnut shells are gone, have switched over to the reptile carpet. I would love to see a picture of the thermometer I will go out tonight and buy one. I've definitely added this site to my favorites

WAFisherman

Hatchling Member
Here is the one I have (one for each of my reptile tanks actually).
http://www.weatherconnection.com/mfgproduct.asp?mfgname=Acu+Rite&itmky=529964&mfgno=21

I put the main unit (indoor temp display and humidity guage) on the cool side and the probe I switch between checking ambient temps, basking spot, and warm side temps. Instead of displaying the clock as it shows in the pic, you toggle it so that the top is the outdoor (probe) temp and middle is the 'indoor' temp, and the bottom is the humidity.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
WAFisherman":b97d0 said:
Here is the one I have (one for each of my reptile tanks actually).
http://www.weatherconnection.com/mfgproduct.asp?mfgname=Acu+Rite&itmky=529964&mfgno=21

I put the main unit (indoor temp display and humidity guage) on the cool side and the probe I switch between checking ambient temps, basking spot, and warm side temps. Instead of displaying the clock as it shows in the pic, you toggle it so that the top is the outdoor (probe) temp and middle is the 'indoor' temp, and the bottom is the humidity.

I just checked the link and I have that one also, I have one for each tank. However, I bought them from Walmart. They run just under $12.00 from Walmart, verses the "sale" price on this link for $16.00.

WAFisherman

Hatchling Member
Yep, you can find them at most places like walmlart, kmart, fred meyer, target, home depot, lowes, and so forth. I was just adding a link to a pic so he'd know what to look for...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom