My lizard, Gunny has impaction and I think I need some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody, I'm brand new here this will be my first post.
Anyways, my bearded dragon has impaction, I've seen a topic with advice on how to help treat it. So I've been massaging him in warm baths, having my finger circularly massage around the impaction and trying to feed him non-solid foods more often.
However there's my problem.
My lizard won't eat the Apple Sauce, with pumpkin bits that are in it. He has not eaten in two days, he is very inactive and he is almost a year old.
I figure he is being inactive to save what energy he has left, or just because he has no energy. He seems perked up after every warm bath, but after he goes back into his cage a couple minutes later he is automatically getting the black beard(Sign of agitation I believe, it's not full black just specs here and there) and just laying down until the next bath, he rarely moves. However when I wake up he is normally near his food bowl, with the food untouched.

So I would like some tips on how to get him to eat...I really don't want my bearded dragon to die, so any help at all will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

wizbee

Juvie Member
Welcome! Sorry your dragon isn't feeling well, if it is an impaction the warm baths about 15 minutes long should help along with the massages. No crickets or heavy food untill you get a poo. What kind of lights do you have and what are your temperatures? That has a good deal to do with the way they digest their food. How are you feeding the applesauce?
We will try to help. Welcome again.

BeardedGunny

Original Poster
I know about the baths, massages, and no solid foods =)
I have a basking lamp on one side of the cage, and a UV light on the other side. The temperature under the light is supposed to be around 100 degrees or so but the temperature inside the entire cage is about 85 degrees when the lights are on, lowers to about 70-75 or so when they are off.

Well that's the thing...I just kind of put it in a food bowl and put him near the food bowl. He eats lettuce, crickets, and stuff like that on his own, what would be a good way to go about feeding him the applesauce? I'm clueless =(

BeardedGunny

Original Poster
I really want an answer before I feed him tomorrow, I'll be checking this for about another hour.
Is there an alternative way to guarantee he eats the apple sauce?
I really don't want him to starve and die...

Dhsquire

I would mix the applesauce with some Gerber stage 2 chicken baby food for protein, a bit of his calcium, and feed him with a syringe or some sort of dropper.. usually dripping the mixture onto the tip of nose entices them to lick it off ... force feeding him would only stress him out more so try to get him to eat on his own if you can. I've found that for stubborn dragons who wont take liquids from syringes, you can pull the lip down enough to where you can put a bit of the mixture on the inside of his lips, they usually take it a little better after getting a taste .. you could also give him a drop or two of olive oil to help get things moving in there..
Hyrdation is key here, so using something like clear unflavored pedialite mixed in his bath water helps tremendously to rehydrate your dragon..
hope this helps, and good luck!!
keep us posted

BeardedGunny

Original Poster
His bath went well, he seems even more alert than before and his impaction has moved down a bit.

He was very reluctant to eat at first, but after I got him to open his mouth and try some it was much easier to feed him some apple sauce. Hopefully he continues to get better, thank you all!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom