Protruding from Vent !? (2nd update, We can all relax)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglwngss

Hatchling Member
What is this? I thought it was poop at first, took him for a bath and let him soak for about 1/2 an hour. He's out now and I've put vasoline on it. He didn't squirm when I was applying the vasoline. Is there anything else I can do for him? Is there something I can add to the bathwater?

PICT0026.jpg

PICT0027.jpg

PICT0028.jpg

Pleaides

Juvie Member
oh my, im sorry your little one has popped something out.
you have to keep it moist, dont let it dry out also if you have any loose substrate id remove it immediately and just keep him on paper towels, i wouldnt recommend newspaper because of the ink, im not sure what to treat it with though, please pm tracie (drache613) as shes very very good with medical things, she'd be able to help you out a lot more im sure.
:D

Anglwngss

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Okay, thanks, She's been PMed.

dangit, no she hasn't... Getting this message: No recipient defined.

trying to find her through the user list. OMG there are a lot of people here....

Anglwngss

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
It's worse. It came off... I put him in a shallow tub with cool water and sugar, been soaking about 1/2 an hour. I saw it was out more and took a photo from the side. Picked him to for a photo underneath and saw it was unattached. Here's pics.
PICT0001-1.jpg

PICT0002.jpg

PICT0004-1.jpg

PICT0005.jpg

PICT0006-1.jpg

Anglwngss

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
What do I do now? He's not bleeding, so that's good. He's still in cool water and he's not squirming. Crap..

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Hm, it initially appeared to be a prolapse but, I don't think a hemepene would fall off like that, especially that quickly & not bleed. The picture is good, & after looking at it, could that be a seminal or sperm plug? Was it hard & rubbery?
The hemepene is attached very well to the body & should not just "fall off" like that without being taken off. It doesn't appear to be necrotic so the hemepene should be viable tissue which it would feel more fleshy & it is darker in color than what was pictured.
Does he appear normal today no black bearding, etc?
When he goes to the bathroom, does he have to strain when he goes?
Usually, what causes a prolapse are one of several things such as hypocalcemia, breeding too young, improper or lack of UVB lighting, poor muscle tone & nutritional deficiencies.
How old is he?

Tracie

Anglwngss

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I took him to the vet (spent $71) for him to tell me it was a seminal plug. It did feel hard for the 1/2 second I touched it to put it into a baggie for the vet to see.

Just to answer the other questions, though, he never blackbearded last night or today, BUT he had been a little bit over the last several days. Didn't really put it together until now. Wonder if that is why..

I don't know his true age, but he was an adult (hasn't really changed in size or weight) when I got him. I think that was around October/November of 2007.

I am sooo relieved, Poor guy, I thought somehow I made his little weenie fall off!! lol :oops: One part of me thought that, but the other thought, wellll, he's not bleeding so 'i dunno'..

Thank you so much for your quick response, I feel much better since he still has all his parts!

Pleaides

Juvie Member
oh bless his little heart!
wow i would freak out if my Mischief suddenly popped something out then for it to drop off! :shock:
bet your glad to have gotten him to a vet.
so hes gonna be ok then?
i wish you and him all the best!

Anglwngss

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
This website describes it really, really well. Better than I would ever be able to attempt..

http://www.anapsid.org/seminalplugs.html

This is from the same website, but discusses prolapses. It's a iguana, but I'm fairly sure it would be similar on a bearded dragon.

http://www.anapsid.org/prolapse.html

You should've seen me trying to explain what happened to my boss at work... well, you see, my lizard had been 'happy' for too long a time and ........ :oops:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great that was all it was. That was what it looked like to me, so I am glad that I was right on that. It is a much less serious problem than him have excess hormones raging around! :lol:
Some males don't get seminal plugs while others do. Hormone levels vary from dragon to dragon.
I am happy things are all ok with him.

Tracie

Pleaides

Juvie Member
so glad hes going to be alright

thanx for clearing that up for me, lol, i knew of others parts of the male dragon anatomy as my snakes are the same but have never heard of those plugs before
hope he does well for you

Alliemac

I'm glad it was just a plug! One of my geckos had a prolapse and I had the end of it fall off it the bath. I was freaking out! I was sure it was his boy part too but it was a seminal plug. Once that came off the prolapse went back in with a little Vaseline. I had to keep him separated from her for weeks while it healed and so he wouldn't get excited again. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom