severe impaction dont no wat to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
so my dragon Scooter had impaction before at 3 months of age now he is about 6 months old and he got another one but this time its worse, i cant treat it.... i new i shouldnt of fed him superworms i only gave him 10 :cry:

i used natural unsweetened apple sauce , i also used 3 drops of some mineral oil which help my other one but its not working, and i been soaking it in lukewarm water avery 30 minutes for 2 hours , its back legs are reallly shaky ,its front paws curl in and half his tail it dark and then his beard is also very black,

i got him to poop twice but it wasnt wat i expected, it was only liquid coming out not hard poop , i dont no wat to do anymore i tried averything and dont have money for a vet, my other four dragons are doing fine it seems to be only this one!!!

if anyone knows wat i can do it would be a pleasure to here from u... thank u

Paul

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hi
Can you feel the impaction in his abdomen?When you are bathing him are you letting him soak in the water for at least 20 minutes and are you massaging him while he in there?Start from under the armpit and gently work downward towards the vent.If you know where the impaction is and can feel it work slowly in a circular motion downards in that area.I als dont recommend any solid foods until he poops get him on a babyfood slurry of applesauce,squash and chicken with olive oil and clear pedialyte and warm it in the microwave before you give it to him.Also you can get some canned pumpkin for him to help get things moving.What are the temps in the tank(basking surface)?What type of substrate are you using?How long is your beardie?

sandfirebeard

Original Poster
the basking spot is 95 to 100 i have the green turf ,carpet like thing from petsmart as the subsrate ,
OKAY he tokk a poop is was a goood size but there is a downfall, i dont no if he still is impacted but he isnt shaking the only thing is that he isnt using his back legs properly :x

by the way thankx for your help and i do massage him when soaking in warm water i can feel the impaction but then he bloat is self up with air and it gets hard to massage him.

so basically he took a lil poop and he still is not using his back legs the way he should and his beard is still black wat should i do or is it to late, because i heard beardies get paralized from it

thank you

paul

dreshany

Hatchling Member
sandfirebeard":e3850 said:
the basking spot is 95 to 100 i have the green turf ,carpet like thing from petsmart as the subsrate ,
OKAY he tokk a poop is was a goood size but there is a downfall, i dont no if he still is impacted but he isnt shaking the only thing is that he isnt using his back legs properly :x

by the way thankx for your help and i do massage him when soaking in warm water i can feel the impaction but then he bloat is self up with air and it gets hard to massage him.

so basically he took a lil poop and he still is not using his back legs the way he should and his beard is still black wat should i do or is it to late, because i heard beardies get paralized from it

thank you

paul

Excellent! you are on the right track. Keep up with the baths and the massages. It sounds like it is starting to move its way through. I would keep him on a soft food diet until he is pooping regularly. I would keep giving him the applesauce, pumpkin and olive oil, these will be easy on his system and will help move things through. I also agree, the peialyte will help keep him hydrated which will also help clear the impaction.
You are doing fine, keep up the good work!

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
He still may have a partial impaction so keep up the slurry but just to cover all other possible reasons I want to ask a few things.How are you measuring that basking spot?What type of UVB are you using please be specific with brand and type?How old is it?What type of vitamins are you giving and how often?ow old is your beardie?

sandfirebeard

Original Poster
i got a reptisun 10.0 uvb
i have calcim and vitamins i dust 2 times a week
he is about 5 months old
a foot long
i have a thermostat guage not a digital one
i also have a reptisun basking light bulb

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
sandfirebeard":1e18c said:
i got a reptisun 10.0 uvb
i have calcim and vitamins i dust 2 times a week
he is about 5 months old
a foot long
i have a thermostat guage not a digital one
i also have a reptisun basking light bulb
Ok is the reptisun 10 a coil,compact or linear?Also at his age he needs much more calcium then that.He should be getting crix dusted with repcal calcium at least 5xper week and herptivite 2xper week each for one feeding a day.Also I think you definately need to get a digital therm with a probe the guages dont measure basking surface correctly either.His leg issues may not be impaction at all it sounds like he isnt get enough calcium and if that UVB is a coil or compact then he isnt getting good uvb either as the coils/compacts are at best useless and at worst harmful.

sandfirebeard

Original Poster
he is moving his legs awesom now and i got one of those long flouresence uvb . but i wwill definitly dust him more with the calcium now ,once i get some money i will also get me one of the digital thermostats , thankx man

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
sandfirebeard":82d43 said:
he is moving his legs awesom now and i got one of those long flouresence uvb . but i wwill definitly dust him more with the calcium now ,once i get some money i will also get me one of the digital thermostats , thankx man
Great news.I sent you a PM with more details. :D

-Vicky

sandfirebeard

Original Poster
ohh your name is vicky im sorry if i referred to u as vickson thankx alot for averything , i will be talking to u shortly .

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
sandfirebeard":abead said:
ohh your name is vicky im sorry if i referred to u as vickson thankx alot for averything , i will be talking to u shortly .
Your Welcome
No need to apologize vickson is my user name and vicky is my real name.Either way is fine :D

Sheepard

I disagree. Coiled UVB lights are not useless or harmful. I have been using mine for quite some time now with no associated bone problems. You just need to make sure that your Beardie can get close enough to it.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Sheepard":0ab88 said:
I disagree. Coiled UVB lights are not useless or harmful. I have been using mine for quite some time now with no associated bone problems. You just need to make sure that your Beardie can get close enough to it.
Have you seen the studies on these bulbs and the side to side comparisons with linears and MVB? I have and trust me when I say they dont come close to the quality.Initially they do emit decent uvb for about 2 mos then the decay rate fall to ridiculously low amounts and in order to be at a "safe distance" would mean poor uvb exposure on top of that they emit poor quality light which is where all the eye issues stem from.You may have been lucky to date and for that I am glad but having seen first hand I would never again use them or recommend them.

Sheepard

I retract all previous statements.

I just put up an ad to sell them and to use the money to buy a reptisun 10.0.

My only regret is having to sell it to someone who will use it for their critter. I feel very guilty about this reality, but selling it is the only way I can afford to buy something safe in its place.

Perhaps I could argue to the company that they manufactured and sold a dangerous product and I would like a safe replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom