coccidia

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdraak

Hi

My little one is about 4-5 months old.
She has been treated for worms and coccidia over december and just sent a sample back to the vets to have it checked again and it has come back with coccidia again.
I know this is treatable but was wondering if there is anything I can do to prevent her from getting it.
Her tank is always clean with clean water and fresh veg everyday and new bugs every morning.
Any ideas??

Pleaides

Juvie Member
hello
so sorry for your trouble with those pesty horrid little things.
i too have recently had both mine treated for coccidia and worm eggs, the thing with coccidia is its stubborn, its a lot of cleaning cleaning cleaning, i mean like hospital theatres clean, keep as few items in there as possible, just his basking rock will be fine thats all mine had, disinfect the rest of his items also clean the basking rock, maybe even bake them for a bit to get rid of all critters, also if you have loose substrate thats fantastic for breeding grounds, so remove it immediately and just use paper towel, perhaps removing his water bowl also for a little while as water, heat, humidity are all good for breeding, i was one of the real lucky ones and got rid of it with first lot of treatment, keep him hydrated, giving him baby-warm baths, immediately clean out any poop and disinfect straight away, if hes suffering a bit with all the meds you may wanna give him a probiotic, that will help replace the good bacteria in his system that meds may flush out. other than that i dont think there is anything else.
if anyone else have any ideas please by all means throw them in, but this is all i did and it worked for me so hopefully your one will only have to endure it once more.
good luck with him
:D

Pleaides

Juvie Member
sorry i just re-read your post.
its come back with coccidia but you didnt say if she (sorry i was calling she a he, lol) was being treated again? or is it a low count so doesnt need to be treated, obviously the main thing for prevention from any kind of worm or parasites is good proper hygiene, i personally dont like loose substrate purely for hygiene reasons, you cannot get it completely super clean, even if you scoop out the poop and all around it, bacteria can still grow. removing feaces straight away and disinfecting will also help in prevention.
hope this helps
:)

kdraak

Original Poster
Yeh she has to be treated again, I have only ever used paper on the floor and clean the poop out as soon as she does it.
I will take out her logs and rock and clean them all tonight.
Should I change the paper every time she poops??
Also she has a climbing wall that is polystyrene do you think I should remove that aswell.
What probiotic would you advise

Apart from all that she is strong and healthy and eating well.
Thanks for all your help

Pleaides

Juvie Member
yep give her climbing things a good scrub and wash.
fantastic you already use paper towels and yep whenever she poops change that part of the paper towel, not necessarily the whole lot, always disinfect the floor then put clean paper towels down, obviously if its a runny poop then you may have a change quite a lot.
hmm not sure about the polystyrene, id say remove it for now maybe give that a clean but keep it out until her treatment finished and shes given the all clear, i used to nhave a rock polystyrene background for my boy and found it used to get dusty a bit so removed it so id say that too could harbour some germs and such.
for a probiotic theres a lot of info at the mo going about reptiaid, read this thread here about it - http://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=94618&hilit=

depend where you are located i personally use avipro plus or reptiboost, but there are also nutribac, benebac and Acidophiliz+.

kdraak

Original Poster
Thanks for all your help :D

I do live in the UK though, that link was in dollars but will have a search around
:blob5:

Pleaides

Juvie Member
oh i know its in dollars i dont believe you can get it here, lol, im from south east england.
i am going to be ordering some reptiaid xl as mine are over 250grams and it works out for me £30.00, which is quite expensive however if its as good as everyone says it is then its worth it!
if you dont or cant order from usa then you can get avipro plus, reptiboost and critcal care here - http://www.livefoods.co.uk/index.php?cPath=27. i find this website to be very good, the only one ive never tried is the critcal care but it has had good remarks.

kdraak

Original Poster
I was just going to ask if those ones were ok hehe.
You read my mind.
Cheers again will give one of those a shot
:)

Eventide

Hatchling Member
I just dealt with some leopard geckos with cryptosporidia, which is a particularly nasty (and untreatable) type of coccidia. The problem with this protozoa is that bleach doesn't kill the oocysts in their poo. Only ammonia is known to kill the oocysts. I'd suggest cleaning all of the beardie's stuff with an ammonia solution every few days or at least once a week until she's cleared of it. Just be sure to rinse the tank/furniture completely (no ammonia smell) and let them dry before putting them back in the tank.

I hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom