spike is sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

sayur

I've purchased a bearded dragon a 6 days ago, but Spike(my new dragon) hasn't been eating, on the second day he eat 4 crickets and on the fourth day he ate only 2. He's not very active and he likes to sleep a lot, but he moves when someone touches him , he's made friends with my other bearded and ocassionaly stands on her in the basking spot.

Spike is 14cm long
i'm not sure how old he is.
he lives in a 20 gallon tank with Spyro
the basking are is 37 degrees celcius and the the cool spots are 26 celcius
we feed him and spyro seperately.
i don't feed them where they sleep
spyro is 26cm long.
i use a 150w infrared lamp for the basking spot
my substrate is dry sand

spike like to stay in the cool spots, but he doesn't move around until some one touchs him.
he likes to sleep in the veggie bowl.

Hello!
Everyone on here is here to help, but can you help us by answering some important questions?

What UVB light do you use? Flourescent tube, coil or compact? What brand is it?
How close can the dragon get to the UVB?
Is Spyro (or whichever the bigger dragon is) male or female?
What do you feed them (be specific)?
Are you dusting the crickets with calcium supplements at all?
Are you bathing your dragons?

FIRSTLY Id like to say, GET RID OF THE SAND. It is not a good substrate at all.
It can cause impactation, and there is a very high risk of this.
Tiles are great, so are reptile carpets, newspaper without coloured ink, paper towels.. anything that is easy to clean and cant be eaten by the dragons!

Secondly, just from the information you have given us, the reason why Spike is seeming sleep and not hungry may be because
1) He is getting used to his new home - this can take up to 2 weeks.
2) he is intimidated by your larger dragon.

Especially if they are both males, bearded dragons should not be housed together.
They are solitary, and like their own space, own basking light, ect.
Also as they are both different sizes, the little one could be scared of the larger dragon.
Try to get them separated, even by using a cardboard screen or something.

My cousin Ellena had this problem, with two girls of the same size, one stopped eating because he was intimidated of the other. Separation fixed this problem.

Standing/laying on top of the other dragon while basking is an act of dominance, not of friendlyness.

When you answer the other questions im sure everyone will try to help further, but for now, get those dragons separated and get rid of that sand! :)

Pleaides

Juvie Member
i strongly agree with soupdragon
i advise urgently to seperate them, they are solitary and territorial animals and will certainly not miss each others company, as one is much bigger, the little one ( your new one right?) is standing over the larger dragon to show his dominance and that he wont be picked on, your larger dragon as it was his/her territory first may respond in a not so friendly manner, sooner or later they will fight and will result in injury at the very least! seperating them and you will find that both dragons will thrive so much better and their healthy will be so much brighter.

the sand definitely get rid off, i hate any kind of sand but you will hear numerous different opinions on this. relocation stress can show many symptoms and as soupdragon said it can last up to 2 weeks, although i know someone elses dragon took about a month to settle down and adjust correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LiamYe
Top Bottom