Sick Sunny

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigapl

Our sunfire (Sunny) has stopped eating a few weeks (5) now and has started losing weight as well. He is favoring his right side and is very lethargic. We have been giving him Repta Aid and a calcium supplement as well as B1 complex. Things are not getting better he has good heat at 99 and cool at 80 with a 2 month old UVA+B mercury vapor bulb. Habitat is 18X24 on calcisand. We do not know his age as we adopted him in June he is about 20 inches. He keeps his beard black and loose all the time as well. His poop is small 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch long and mostly white bit, he goes every 2 to 3 days.
We are trying to find a vet close by but Atlanta or Birmingham seem closest to Columbus GA.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
It sounds like he could be impacted from the calcisand. That's happened a lot and the stuff hardened when wet. I suggest replacing it with something non-partical as it's safer for him. If you decide to go with sand, wait until he's not impacted any more then use the silicone free washed and sifted playsand.

I use a combination of carpet, non-adhesive shelf liner and papertowels in certain areas to hopefully catch their poop.

bigapl

Original Poster
He is going every few days but is barely eating, is he were impacted he wouldn't be going at all.

LJean

Extreme Poster
Poor sunny. I'm not sure how I can help. Have you tried bathing him more often to help keep him hydrated? (or.. how often do you bath or spray him?) Do you think he is just tired of his feeders? Have you tried using a different bug and changing the greens?

bigapl

Original Poster
Could he be brumating our other two dragons haven't changed any routine but Sunny has. He likes digging and going to his cool side of the tank also.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
If he was brumating, he wouldn't be loosing weight. Have you had a fecal done? maybe part of his problem is parasites. Also, he can still go a little and still be impacted. I've never experienced impaction but there have been a lot of people posting on this forum that have.

I would try to get him to a good herp vet.

bigapl

Original Poster
Well seems Sunny has become a bit dehydrated while trying to brumate, So for the next week or so he is on unflavored pedialyte and baby food. The vet wants to see him in 2 weeks and see how he is doing, so far so good he is more alert and even did some fun sprints when he was out of his tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bugluvr3
Top Bottom