Respiratory Infection - Updated

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninoupte7

Those with snakes with respiratory infections (mycoplasma/bacterial) swear by Tylan antibiotic (Amazon-Revival Animal Health supplier; 23$ +7$ shipping 3-5 day). This is what I'm going to use. Tylan Injectable 200 mg/250mL. Dosage: 0.01 mL/13.5oz lizard body weight 1/day x5-10 days.
More later.
Only question I have is how to differentiate Gaping/Yawning due to pneumonia VS due to too hot/paranoid posturing.
-Nino

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
ninoupte7":822df said:
Only question I have is how to differentiate Gaping/Yawning due to pneumonia VS due to too hot/paranoid posturing.
-Nino

That requires taking your reptile to an knowledgeable vet and having x-rays done of the lungs to see if the lungs are congested.

ninoupte7

Thanks for the diagnostic tip on lung infections via Xray.
I've heard that Bearded Dragons gape when they are too hot. Is this true?
If true, is there a general range that they would start to gape or would that temp be specific to the individual lizard?
For instance, my female BD, Little Egypt, about 13.5 oz, was gaping with her tongue somewhat out, yesterday in a cage which was about 30C, a far cry from the 85-95 optimal temp which I have seen published on the web.
-Nino

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
Gaping is a way for them to cool themselves down. All three of mine will do that occasionally and is no big deal. I keep my youngest (6 months) basking temp at 105-106, Magick likes 100 and Semi basks at 102-103 both of them are almost 3 years old. All three with gap but a gap for a RI is gaping even when not basking. Gaping while sleeping is not good either.

My vet does x-rays when someone suspects an RI. It's really the only way to see if the lungs are clear or clouded. My vet does not like to medicate without proof they need it. It does add to the bill but it's better to know what you are dealing with then guessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom