She wont lay eggs please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

JubJubLizard

Hatchling Member
Hi well we set up a lay box inside her tank and she wont have anything to do with it she is just scratching the glass side of her tank like crazy and then bumping her head against the glass. You can see so many eggs all over like a bag of marbles. I don't think she can stretch any farther the size from even this morning is huge. So then I made her a seperate box outside of her tank as she acts as if that is what she needs to get away from her tank. Now she is doing the same in there only scratching the side :( please help with any suggestions. Thank you oh I should add that we used the vermacalite (sp) as recommended by another poster. How do you even know that it is time? She has been pacing and scratching for days now she is just almost irritated.

wingnuts

Juvie Member
This may sound crazy, but I put my lay box inside a cooler...put the lid on and left for an hour or so. She didn't like laying with an audience. I sure sounds like she is ready. Good luck.

Tracy

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Hello,
The digging and scratching are telling you that she's got more eggs to lay.
I would give her a nice warm bath, gentley massaging her belly, and then put her in the laybox, cover it, and leave her alone in there for a couple of days. She will be fine as long as you keep the box above 65-70.
Dragons often only lay when they are alone and private. If she is ready to lay instinct will take over.

Also dont expect these things to happen over night. From being very gravid to laying my girl waited a whole 3 weeks of digging and pacing before she was ready. Then she laid 13 eggs, then one the next day, and a week later she laid her second clutch. We had 23 in total.

Remember your dragon depletes her stores of calcium when she's laying so she will need it dosing into her.
If she's not interested in eating, as mine wasnt, offer her some chicken or veg babyfood with calcium mixed in.

I know how very stressful this is but it will be ok.
Holly

rkdkp

Is it ok to not have UV light in the laybox while she is in there? That is my concern with my girl in her laybox. We keep it warm with an infrared, but no UV light. I don't want her to get sick while she is laying, so we take her out every evening when we get home from work and put her back in her viv for a few hours to get some UV and then back in the laybox at night. So, technically she is only getting about 4 hours of UV a day.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
I believe a dragon can manage up to a week without UVB without there being any real health issues.
Two days at a time certainly wont affect her health.
Id leave her in her box for two days. See if she lays. Then a viv for a day, then if she's digging again back in the box.

Holly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom