help little black mites!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

snuffel

Hatchling Member
my beardie has been acting fine just lately if not better than usual, but i noticed these little black bits above his eye lid that don't seem to move, but after closer inspection i noticed they were little black mites. my mum helped me clean them out from the eye lid with a wet cotton bud but i thought i they were all gone, i looked this morning and there were some in his right eye but none or not many in his left eye there was about 1 in the left eye and a few maybe several in his right eye.

viv temps- 100+ hot bit
82 cool end

uv light -yes
diet- fruit and a few crickests and waxworms
regular acces to water-yes

it is not coccida, flukes, tape worms, or any fungus they are moving slightly, but not going in his eye. they are not found in any part of his body and yet he seems fine, he is pooing a bit more than normally but that is because he is eating more fruit, and there are none of these bugs in his poo, only on top of his eye lid

snuffel

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
i will thoroughly clean the viv out tomorrow as today it is new years day and the aqua-varium won't be open so i cant get the stuff to clean them out. i will change their diet slightly, to a few waxworms, 2 boxes of locusts a weeks and fruit and veg, no crickets as they get in small cracks and breed and die. :angry5:

snuffel

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
they almost look like leaf beatles but without the antenea but smaller.

snuffel

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
they are not baby crickets, not mealworms beatles or anything i feed them, they haven't come from inside the viv as it is rather clean so not any kind of baby, and none of the listed above so i am stuck for what they are. i need some advice for Duma

snuffel

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
thanks mate really helpful :D

i will keep that in my favourites, but getting the bugs of his eye lids will be difficult, as that is where they are and no where else, so he is stuck there. the only way we can get them off is to use a damp cotton bud stick and wipe them off, i will have to do that, i don't think there are as many left now as they are no longer visible but he still has a definate few.

snuffel

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
i just gave both of my lizards a shower in warm water hermosa my female seemed to like it more, i got a few mites off of duma and none off of hermosa, which is good which means she doesn't have any. i checked them under a magnifying glass and they look like a little comma , like that never seen anything like it but they were slightly smaller. hopefully they are all gone thank you for the link. :notworthy:

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I found this info about reptile mites. Thought it might be helpful.
Reptile Tick and Mite Infestation: Causes, Signs, Diagnosis, and Treatment
Veterinary & Aquatic Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith

Snakes
Print Article | Email Article
See related products at DrsFosterSmith.com Pet Supplies

What external (skin) parasites commonly affect reptiles?

Tick infestation on a turtleTicks and mites are the most common external parasites found on reptiles, and can infest lizards, snakes, and chelonians (turtles and tortoises). There are 7 genera of ticks and over 250 species of mites that affect reptiles, including chiggers. "Acariasis" is the medical term for an infestation with mites or ticks.

How do ticks and mites cause disease?

Ticks and mites both feed on the blood of reptiles, and if the infestation is severe, they may cause anemia. Ticks can also transmit a number of diseases and may spread various protozoan parasites that live in the blood stream. Ticks from other continents, such as Africa, may pose special dangers if they get into the environment. They may carry diseases, such as heartworm, that are devastating to other animals such as farm livestock and wildlife. They can also carry diseases that can be transmitted to people, such as Lyme disease.

What are the signs of tick or mite infestation?

The signs of a tick infestation are generally obvious, as the adult ticks are typically visible with the naked eye, especially if they are engorged with blood. Ticks may cause dysecdysis (abnormal shedding) or local reactions where they are attached. If left untreated, large infestations of ticks can cause anemia. In heavy infestations with some species of ticks, suffocation can occur in monitor lizards as the ticks clog the respiratory passages.

Mite infestations may cause the animal to have a dull appearance. The skin or scales may be pitted or crusty, with small hemorrhages. Mites may cause ulcers in lizards, especially iguanas. Affected animals may be depressed or lose their appetite, and be seen rubbing themselves on cage furniture or soaking in water for long periods of time. Severe infestations can cause anemia, and even death.

How are infestations with ticks and mites diagnosed?

The diagnosis of a tick infestation can be made by visually observing the parasite. Ticks are usually found under the scales or in the nostrils of snakes. On lizards, they are commonly seen near the vent or in the nostrils. Ticks usually attach to turtles near the vent, or in the soft skin under the shell in front of or in back of the legs.

Mites are much smaller and less easy to recognize. They may be seen as very small black or red dots on the animal, often around the eyecaps of snakes, or under the scales. They also may be seen floating in the water, or on the owner after handling the reptile.

How are animals with these external parasites treated?

Ticks: Ticks should be manually removed from the reptile using small forceps or tweezers.

Grab the tick by the head or mouth parts right where they enter the skin. Do not grasp the tick by the body.

Without jerking, pull firmly and steadily directly outward. Do not twist the tick as you are pulling.

Using methods such as applying petroleum jelly, a hot match, or alcohol will NOT cause the tick to 'back out.' In fact, these irritants may cause the tick to deposit more disease-carrying saliva in the wound.

After removing the tick, place it in a jar of alcohol to kill it. Ticks are NOT killed by flushing them down the toilet.

Wash your hands thoroughly.

Please do not use your fingers to remove or dispose of the tick. We do not want you in contact with a potentially disease-carrying tick. Do NOT squash the tick with your fingers. The contents of the tick can transmit disease.

Turtles and tortoises should NEVER be treated with ivermectin; it is toxic in those species.
Snakes and lizards with ticks may also be treated with ivermectin, especially if the ticks are located in areas where they are difficult to remove (e.g., the nostrils).

Mites: There are numerous treatments used to eliminate mites from reptiles. Many of them can be hazardous to the animal if not applied correctly. Always consult with your veterinarian before using any insecticide/pesticide on your reptile.

Water baths: Soaking a reptile in a lukewarm water bath for twenty minutes will drown the mites on the animal's body, but not affect those on the animal's head.

Olive oil: Olive oil can be applied to the entire animal. It works by smothering the mites, but it can be messy.

Pyrethroids: Pyrethroids are synthetic variations of the insecticide pyrethrin, which is found naturally in chrysanthemums. Pyrethroids generally kill the mites in a shorter period of time and have a longer residual activity. There is one patented formula for reptiles called Provent-a-Mite, which contains 0.5% permethrin, a synthetic form of pyrethrin. To treat tortoises, spray a small amount at each leg opening, being sure to protect the tortoise's eyes. For snakes and lizards, remove the animal and water dish from the enclosure. Spray the substrate and allow it to dry thoroughly. Be sure all vapors have disappeared before returning the animal to the enclosure. Animals showing signs of anemia or weakness should be evaluated by a veterinarian and given supportive therapy prior to treatment with pyrethroids.

Ivermectin: Ivermectin can be given orally, by injection, or a diluted solution can be sprayed on the snake, but in some cases, it is not as effective as pyrethroids. Do NOT use ivermectin in turtles or tortoises, as it is toxic in those species.

Pest strips or dog/cat flea collars: Pieces of pest strips or flea/tick collars of dogs and cats have been used by some as a treatment for external parasites by placing them inside of or on top of the reptile's cage. These often contain organophosphates which are very toxic to reptiles, and their use is NOT recommended.

Cyfluthrin: Cyfluthrin can be used to safely treat the premises and eradicate ticks from a tortoise facility.

In addition to treating the animal, the cage should be cleaned on a regular basis, disinfecting it with a diluted bleach solution (1-3 ounces of household bleach to one quart of water).

Most mite and tick infestations are found on newly acquired reptiles. If you are adding a reptile to your collection, remember to quarantine it away from the other reptiles for at least 1 month. Ticks, especially, can travel fairly large distances (into other rooms) and can accidentally be transferred to other animals on your clothing or other items. Always feed, clean the cage, handle that reptile last, etc., and wash hands and utensils well afterward.

snuffel

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
they weren't ticks i looked at about 15 different types of mites and other ticks etc and none of them matched what they looked like. but i have flushed them out now, in the shower Duma was most unpleased to get wet though. he kept figiting as he does whereas my female sat still and let me shower her. they are both sound asleep now i think.

hermosa is probably dreaming about strawberries she ate a whole one today and duma is probabbly sitting up and enjoying the warmth.

snuffel

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
thank you dreshany i gave my lizards a shower and a small bath in water 25c+ and the bugs just fell off i still don't know what they are but i looked up chiggers on windows live search and these little black things came up they kind of look like what duma had, although there were no bite marks or swelling around the eye area, so i don't know what they were but we are happy they are gone.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's good that they came off in the shower. Please make sure you take everything out of the tank & totally clean it, especially in the corners though. You might want to check any wooden items that you have in there too like a basking log. If you're using a loose substrate they may be in that also. Good luck and please let us know when you find out what they are.

jmmcdavid

Hey,
Those are probably just mites. I have snakes and one had picked some up from a pet store I kept her at for a couple of days when I first got her. They are like mini ticks. They can carry disease. There is a solution made that you can buy. The kind I had was called "Mite Off". The mites probably came from something you bought from a pet store/breeder. They are a pain to get rid of. I think the eggs can take up to 3 weeks to hatch, so you have to wait 3 weeks after the last mite you see to make sure there are no more. With my snakes I had to take out their regualr substrate and put paper towels, take out their hid box and water bowl and clean it daily. They can attach to humans, so be careful when you are cleaning things and make sure you dont get any on your clothes. They are nasty little things but probably wont hurt your beardie.
Hope this helps! :D

snuffel

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
thanks i think i got rid of the last of them today i noticed my female whoi shares a tank with duma had 2 on her eyelids so i asked my mum who worked with animals to get them off and just wipe the eye lid with a cotton bud now they are all gone, i will give them showers as the mites hust fell off, and if i notice any more i will wipe them off.

jmmcdavid

Just be careful. You may need to treat the whole tank. They can infest everything and the only way to truely get rid of them is my using a 1:10 ratio of bleach to water to sanitize everything. they may be breeding and laying eggs and in 3 weeks you could have a total infestation and then that is when it can be real hard to get rid of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom