Bearded Dragon not moving much, sits in water

Status
Not open for further replies.

iFaux

For the last couple weeks my bearded dragon pretty much has been in her water..we haven't seen her eat anything. She is maybe almost a year old, and she has like this grey on her 2 sides, a little lower then her neck...
I moved her out of the water and moved the heat lamp a little closer incase that was the problem...I don't know what to do, really...:(

Her eyes also aren't open, and the only time they do open if when you pick her up. She doesn't seem to like to be touched recently, her beard comes out and she gets all flat..

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Hello there,
Sorry your dragon seems a little blue.
There are two things I can suggest:

1. Regards the water:
Water can actually steal your dragons heat so as she has laid in it it cuold have sapped all her energy. A cold lizard is a sleepy lizard.
Remove her water from the enclosure.
If you want to hydrate her give her a bath 3 times a week in warm water up to her armpits.

2. She could be trying to brumate.
This is a 'winter shutdown' that dragons over a year can go through.
Here is a wonderful article that will help explain:
http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/brumation/

Just to make sure could you please go over your set up with us?

What size enclosure do you have your dragon in?
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?
Do you use UVB lights?
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB?
What are the basking temps?
What is the cool side temp?
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon?
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?

Holly

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Most definitely take the water out of her viv. The water makes the humidity levels high and can cause mold on your beardie also.
As for the gray coloring you're seeing, take a look at Holly's Beardie picture in the above post. See the gray coloring on her bd right below his neck? Is that what you're seeing on your bd ? That is normal coloring, nothing to worry about.
Do try to answer the questions she posted, it can really help answer questions,especially if there is a problem with your set up.

Dawn

iFaux

Original Poster
Her enclosure is a 30 gallon tank, soon we might give my turtle this and get a 40 gallon tank.
Artificial..I forget what it's called. It's like green matting, kinda
Yes. I know for sure about the daylight lamp, not sure about my heating lamp.
fluorescent tube
Repti Sun 2.0, 15 watts
She can get up ontop of her little tree-stump thing, but I've never seen her do it...so ontop of a miniture log, for now.
I don't exactly know, unless the "cooling" side would be under, under the sun lamp I assume? I don't have thermometers.
Read above...
I don't have a thermometer, I'll pick one up later.
We need to use a pad ? o.o Maybe that is my problem, she was fine before though...
Large Crickets and Meal worms, also cut cucumber.
It varies..
No
No
No
No

....Wow. Now this could be my fault...:\

She has the grey on her back, and it is on her sides also. She also has like, skin but it's up. Not shedding, it's still intact with her body 100%, it is weird...

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You have a Reptisun 2 flourescent tube bulb? How old is it?
That is entirely too weak of a UVB light, but it does add brightness. I highly recommend getting a Reptisun 10 flourescent tube bulb for better exposure. You can get it from: http://www.petmountain.com much cheaper than from a petstore.
You don't need to use a heating pad for warmth. During the day you need to use a bright white basking light in conjunction with your UVB light. You definitely need a thermometer so you can know what the temperatures are.
The recommended basking temps are 95-110 on the hot side & the cooler end around 78-82.
Maybe you can post a picture of her?

Tracie

iFaux

Original Poster
Thank you Tracie. We bought it from the pet store last year, I didn't know it could be old..
I will have a picture soon in about 10 minutes.

Picture:
Photo5-1.jpg

You can't see her face, she's behind the log.
That black stuff isn't her poop, actually. The mealworms just sit there and they slowly like burn to death, it's kinda sad..

wizbee

Juvie Member
Those worms are dead and should be removed as well as the bedding they come in. Your dragon may eat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom