Serious skin problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

atreyu917

Juvie Member
A baby beardie at my work has a serious problem. It started about a month ago with a little scab on his lump. As soon as I noticed it I began soaking it with a cloth. We took him to the vet, and he just said to put Baytril Otic on it. Within a week it had spread, obviously not working. Took him back to the vet and they told us he needed to shed MORE for them to be able to do anything with him. Since then we have tried to bring him in several times in the last two weeks but they said they can't see him right now. I'm at a loss. It has spread to his eye and beard. It doesn't seem to hinder him at all. But it looks terrible. When you see the pictures of him, you'll understand why I'm so pissed at this vet for not taking this seriously. He is supposed to go tomorrow to the vet, so we'll see if he even does anything. Please any help will be appreciated. I'm desperate to help him....

l_ad253c0da32e469aa6f627c7678bac66.jpg

l_c816fa360c334ff5855e87067a02b006.jpg

l_372e34ad527b45d79e431d92701695e3.jpg

l_676a36747ce24b569516236827687814.jpg

l_a1d60c4dd8fc4355974c19cb5ca64c73.jpg

l_d58114456ebf4538a16e1bb8bad32207.jpg

l_7d61364059544e308b971d3d42fc43e8.jpg

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well, if the yellow fungus is a consideration then I suggest you pick up some Betadine and put some in a bath for him, make sure he gets a drink of plain water first if he usually drinks in his bath. Pour in enough Betadine to make it look like weak tea. After the bath, rub the areas down with witch hazel avoiding his eyes of course. Then apply Lamasil (or a generic) fungal cream. If you wanted to, you could try just treating one area with the cream to see if it responds. Usually after a few days of this treatment, you'll notice a big difference. Let us know how it goes, ok? At least this way you'd be trying something.

atreyu917

Juvie Member
Original Poster
diamc":d55bb said:
Well, if the yellow fungus is a consideration then I suggest you pick up some Betadine and put some in a bath for him, make sure he gets a drink of plain water first if he usually drinks in his bath. Pour in enough Betadine to make it look like weak tea. After the bath, rub the areas down with witch hazel avoiding his eyes of course. Then apply Lamasil (or a generic) fungal cream. If you wanted to, you could try just treating one area with the cream to see if it responds. Usually after a few days of this treatment, you'll notice a big difference. Let us know how it goes, ok? At least this way you'd be trying something.

I go back to work tomorrow and if they vet continued to be useless I'm going first thing when I get off to get some Lamasil and Betadine. I hope he feels better soon. I'll definitely keep you guys updated though!

My question is though, if it was yellow fungus....wouldn't the other beardie he was with for the first 2 weeks it showed up have it as well?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Actually, I've heard of 2 beardies being housed together and only 1 having it, believe it or not.

Good luck, hope he can improve soon. :(

atreyu917

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well today....i found out the vet just said to give him daily baths....and that is it. It really irritated me. So I guess I'm going tonight to go get those medications for him. Really upsets me the vet has nothing to say.

jacqui778

Sub-Adult Member
atreyu917":d0095 said:
Well today....i found out the vet just said to give him daily baths....and that is it. It really irritated me. So I guess I'm going tonight to go get those medications for him. Really upsets me the vet has nothing to say.

Hi,

I really feel bad for you. You and your beardie deserve better treatment than what that vet gave you. I'd do the Betadine bath, and let us know what happens. And, in the meantime, research a new vet. :)

Keep us posted!

-- Jacqui

atreyu917

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Unfortunately, he isn't my own personal beardie or he would be going to the clinic I use. Petco has appointed vet clinics that are certified by Petco, etc that we have to use. Can't take them to any other clinic. He usually does really well with the animals we bring him. But this time I know he is wrong, you can tell by just looking at him that it's a serious problem but he doesn't treat it that way!

K9KidsLove

Sub-Adult Member
Hi...Sorry about your dragon & your less than helpful vet. Check on http://WWW.herpvetconnection.com to find a reptile vet near you.

I suggest totally stripping everything from his enclosure. Bleach & pressure rinse everything. Put only his basking furniture & lights back in and set up a separate home for your other dragon at least til this is cleared up. Put paper towels for substrate & change daily while soaking your dragon. Use a Q-tip to cleanse the area around his eye without getting any betadine in his eye

Good luck
Patsy

Trogdor_1

Juvie Member
We had the identical problem at the store where I work. The dragon has Yellow Fungus. He needs oral anti-fungal medication. Plus the betedine cleanings and lamisil. It will take about a year of cycling the oral meds before the fungus will be gone (7 days on, 21 days off). Just don't let the vet stick him on oral antibiotics. It killed three of the four beardies being treated, no matter how much we faught for them. They recieved soy yogurt daily and eventually had to be hand fed before they died. It was not a fun experience. The one that did survive got adopted, but his new owner has to keep up with the meds and vet care. It took months for us to find someone who could take him and handle the fungus.

Good luck with him.

dobiegil2000

Hatchling Member
I really hope this little guy gets the help he needs and I know you are trying to do all you can. Is there any way he can be adopted out and receive the proper care without all the red tape you have to go through with the corporation? If he was in my area (michigan) I might consider taking him, although, my husband might have another opinion as he has just finished an enclosure for my first guy.

Thanks for keeping us posted.
Robin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bert_L
Top Bottom