I AM SOOOOO MAD!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreshany

Hatchling Member
:angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :angry5:
Perry, my 5 mo old beardie hasn't been doing very well for the last week or so. I have had him for about a month and he was "healthy" and happy when I got him. Just under two weeks ago he stopped eating. At first I could force feed him worms but he eventually began spitting them out. I was syringe feeding him for the last week or so and he seemed to be doing ok until last night. He seemed more lethargic and went to bed early. This morning he has been lifeless. Thank God I had an appointment with the vet today all ready set up. They said that he has MBD and that his kidneys are probably shutting down. He may die!! We went over the husbandry and everything that I was doing. They said that everything looked good, and that I was probably a little too generous with the calcium supplements (which actually turned out to be a good thing.) After reviewing everything, they said it was probably from improper care before I got him. Which means the breeder that I got him from did not keep him under proper lighting and was not supplementing his diet nor making sure he stayed hydrated. :angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :angry5:
WHY ON EARTH would someone breed their dragon if they were not going to provide proper care?!?!? That just makes me sick! I am so attached to him and my nephew, who cried for two days when his fence lizard died that he only had a week, is going to be devastated if he doesn't make it. Luckily, because I have been properly supplementing with the calcium and vitamins, his MBD is very minor but there is not much to do about the kidneys, except for supportive care. I got some carnivore care, liquid calcium and antibiotics (for parasites). I brought in a fecal sample but it was too dry to test, so they began treatment for parasites just in case. The antibiotics are .01cc of Trimethaprim-sulfa 1 x per day for 21 days.
Can anyone offer any advice that might increase his chance for survival?
His husbandry is perfect. His temps are good 80-110. He has an MVB and is on paper towel. I moved him to a smaller enclosure because it is easier to clean. I have to clean everything, every time he poops or at least once a day. He will be eating the carnivore care and I will be supplementing with the liquid calcium. He looks so lifeless :(

nikkicostello89

Sub-Adult Member
The carnivore care i believe is hard on kidneys, you should PM Tracie - Drache613 she is very knowledgeable on meds and everything beardie related.

As for the cleaning, whenever i've treated for parasites, i've removed all of their funriture except for the rock which can be soaked in boiling water or baked to remove parasites, but wood etc takes longer to dry so i replace with cardboard boxes and tubes etc which can just be thrown away!

Hope some of this helps, and get hold of tracie, she'll help loads!

Nikki

Poisoned1

Gray-bearded Member
I know you say your husbandry is perfect, I just want to check with some things please.

What exactly were you feeding him?
How long is he?
How far is he from the MVB?

What size tank is it?

Do you know the breeder? Sadly enough there are alot of back door breeders who think they can just breed and send them out without any proper care.

Was this person a professional or just a person trying to make a quick buck?

MissT

BD.org Addict
dreshany":47cbc said:
I brought in a fecal sample but it was too dry to test, so they began treatment for parasites just in case. The antibiotics are .01cc of Trimethaprim-sulfa 1 x per day for 21 days.

Just something I picked up on - if you are using the anti-biotics (hopefully Tracie will see this post and confirm that the dosage etc are all good) then you will need to use a pro-biotic as well such as benebac or acidophilus (sp). I would also suggest getting a fresh fecal sample into the vet asap - anti-biotics can be very harsh on the system and may be unnecessarily putting additional strain on his body.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I just happened to see this post this afternoon.
Let's go over a few things first. I assume that the vet did a bloodtest correct? Why would he say that his kidneys were failing?
Also, why did he say that you used too much calcium, yet he has metabolic bone disease? He shouldn't have metabolic bone disease with you supplementing calcium. How much supplementation are you using? How did they assess his metabolic bone disease?
Can you post a picture of him please?
For a 5 month old dragon, he needs calcium 4-5 times per week since he is growing.
My main concern is that if his kidneys are "shutting down" that he was given a sulfa based drug, which is harsh on the system, too. Since they technically did not test for parasites, I do not think that he should be treated with them without doing a test if his kidneys are having problems. Plus, 21 days on a sulfa drug is somewhat long, without knowing for sure that he has parasites. A fecal really should be done before automatically medicating. If he has parasites, it could be something that needs a different type of medication than sulfa, so it is always recommended to do a fecal before medicating.
The dosage of the liquid calcium, how much does he have you giving him daily? How much does he weigh?
How do his eyes look, are they bright or are they sunken in? Is his beard black right now?
Let's go over your tank setup just to be sure everything is good. Which mercury vapor bulb are you using currently? How close is it to him?
What do you use to measure the temps in his tank, a stick on thermometer, a digital probe or a temp gun?
What do his urates look like, are they soft, or hard right now?
What have you been feeding him?

Tracie

dreshany

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
nikkicostello89":0ad07 said:
The carnivore care i believe is hard on kidneys, you should PM Tracie - Drache613 she is very knowledgeable on meds and everything beardie related.

As for the cleaning, whenever i've treated for parasites, i've removed all of their funriture except for the rock which can be soaked in boiling water or baked to remove parasites, but wood etc takes longer to dry so i replace with cardboard boxes and tubes etc which can just be thrown away!

Hope some of this helps, and get hold of tracie, she'll help loads!

Nikki

Thanks for the heads up. Good idea about the cardboard, I will do that. It seems easier than having to boil the rocks everyday!
How do I PM?

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
Sorry your beardie isnt feeling well.
If you want to pm Traci, Drache613, easiest way would be to go to her post right above yours, click on her name Drache613 on the far right, where her avatar is. Once you click there, it will bring up a page and on the left about half way down, it will say send a private message.

dreshany

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Poisoned1":f15ce said:
I know you say your husbandry is perfect, I just want to check with some things please.

What exactly were you feeding him?
How long is he?
How far is he from the MVB?

What size tank is it?

Do you know the breeder? Sadly enough there are alot of back door breeders who think they can just breed and send them out without any proper care.

Was this person a professional or just a person trying to make a quick buck?

The tank I have for him is 50" long (48"x18x13"h) that is split in half by bricks. Right now he only uses about 25 gallons. I have a long basking rock that is tilted with bricks. The basking area or hottest spot is about 105-110 and it tapers down to about 90. The cool side of the tank is about 84. I use a temp gun to measure the temps. He is on paper towels for his substrate and has a hide made of small bricks. all the bricks i got from a pet store and both the brick and stone I soaked in mild bleach solution, scrubbed with soap and water then baked in an oven at 400 degrees for over an hour.
I use a 160W mvb bulb and a 60 watt regular bulb for added heat. the MVB bulb is about 18" above the highest point of his rock.
He is now 5 months old and has just reached 9". The vet said that was deffinitely small for his age. When I got him (a month ago) he was under 7 inches and for the first two and a half weeks did not grow. It was not until I began syringe feeding him that he grew and shed his tail.
When he first arrived, he was eating on his own. I fed him mostly crickets and phoenix worms. I would hold a cup with the worms in front of him and he would gobble them up. I left fresh veg with him every day that consisted mostly of cactus, cooked squash, and collard greens. He has never eaten any of it though. About 11/2 weeks after he arrived he stopped eating, although he would eat the worms if I opened his mouth and dropped them in. I mostly fed him phoenix worms and silk worms at that time. Crickets were too hard to get into his mouth. We continued that for about 3-4 days until he started refusing the worms and spitting them out. I thought he might be getting frustrated with me trying to shove the worms in his mouth, so I stopped for almost 48 hours and went back to offering them to him by hand. i also left a bowl of worms in his cage. I found him watching the worms all day but would not eat any (I counted them) so I started syringe feeding him a slurry of chicken and squash baby food mixed with juv beardie pellets and water with his calcium and multivitamins. He was doing well with this and seemed to enjoy the mixture. Basically I would try and coax him to eat his worms during the day and not syringe feed him until the night. On Thursday, he didn't seem to be all that energetic and was actually sleeping in his basking area. When I went near his cage he seemed to perk up though. Friday when I got up and turned the lights on for him, he was absolutely lethargic. I also noticed that he had thrown up twice that night. His eyes stayed closed and he just layed there lifeless.
I took him to the vet (Stahl exotics) it was highly recommended by the website I got from this forum and from a lady I was talking to at a pet store who had snakes. When the vet first examined him, she said he had MBD and from the sounds of it that his kidneys were failing. I asked how could he possibly have MBD, since I put calcium on and in everything he ate. I mean everything, every worm, cricket, veg that he ate was dusted with calcium. So, we went over my set up, lights, heat, substrate, feeding, etc. She actually said that I was dusting with too much calcium and that they only need it about every second day but that it was a good thing because of the MDB. Then she took him to another room, where i am not sure what they did. They told me but I was in such a shock that everything is a total blurr. i just sat there are cried. I felt so bad for him. A little while later a vet tech came in and we went over my set up and his feeding and pooping schedule again. They then went and ran everything by Dr. Stahl (the reptile expert) He said that it was most likely because Perry was not getting proper care before I got him. He was deffinitely not getting any calcium/mineral supplementation and that he probably was not kept under proper lighting. Later I was thinkinging about this and it makes sense. Shortly after I brought him home, Perry hated being under the heat and would always hang out in the cool side of the cage. I thought it was because of relocation stress, but now know that he had probably never been kept at proper temperatures. They also explained that because of this improper care and the fact that he was shipped to me (not to mention that he was impacted when he arrived.) that it has been too big of a shock and that his kidneys are slowly shutting down. they said that there is a good chance that he will not make it.
As for the antibiotics. The sample I brought in was too dry for them to do a fecal, but they did do some sort of float test. This is not always conclusive, but gave them a pretty strong indication that he does have worms or coccidia(sp?).
Anyway they told me to start the antibiotics and to bring in another fecal (in moist paper towel) as soon as he goes. I am still waiting for him to poop. They also gave him liquid calcium .01ml x2/day and carnivore care.
He seemed a little more active today but has become lethargic this evening. I am just praying that he will pull through.

dreshany

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
here is a picture, my nephew will take some more
DSCF0038.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry that you have had to go through all of that & that he was not healthy when you got him. I have never gotten an opportunity to meet Dr. Stahl, I have heard very good things about him, & I feel confident that the information he has given is accurate given his history. I am glad you got him to such a good vet.
Oversupplementation can cause organ problems, but, it is not your fault. It is a snowball effect. Having metabolic bone disease, you have to treat it or he gets worse, but over doing calcium is hard on the kidneys. I would proceed with caution with the Albon though, as I feel it might aggravate the kidneys. Can he reconsider medicating him right now, until you get to the bottom of the kidney trouble? How high were the parasite levels?
Did he mention doing a bloodtest to see what the capacity of them was? As a rule, they can be as much as 70% damaged & still function normally so they really have to be damaged to be having trouble. It is possible that he can recover, but he will need to follow a low protein diet, low goitrens & oxalates, & minimal calcium long term once he gets done with the liquid calcium.
Are you rehydrating him? I would start rehydrating him with 3-5 ml's of oral fluid per day.
As far as the basking temps, does he sit underneath the higher or the lower temps? It might be easier on him to keep him under a little lower basking temps so it doesn't expedite dehydration like no higher than 103 or so. Also, previously when he was kept under suboptimal temperatures, his kidneys could have been damaged due to not being able to excrete uric acid adequately. It is hard for them to get used to higher temps once they have been kept at lower ones.
Did he mention gout as a possibility, or just renal failure in general? You caught it early enough. I would like to see a bloodtest done though, just to see what the uric acid levels are as well as the other levels like the BUN & Creatinine, etc. Just so you would know exactly what you are dealing with. Perry can live with some kidney damage as long as his environment is good.
I will help you with anything that I can. I hope that we can get him better.
I am sorry this is happening to Perry.

Tracie

Poisoned1

Gray-bearded Member
Hey Tracie

I don't know about your thoughts but mine think it's kind of weird that the vet said Kidney failure without a blood test.

I don't know enough like you do but that just seems really weird.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, I feel that a bloodtest should be done, to make sure that the correct diagnosis is being made. That would be the next step that should be done.
How is your dragon doing today?

Tracie

dreshany

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":96720 said:
Hello,

Yes, I feel that a bloodtest should be done, to make sure that the correct diagnosis is being made. That would be the next step that should be done.
How is your dragon doing today?

Tracie

Thanks for all the info. I am not sure if they did a blood test. Once they told me what was going on, I went totally blank. I think their thoughts at that time was that Perry was not going to survive. I am not sure if the blood test would have been to much of a shock to his system because he was really ill when I took him in. I am still waiting for him to poop, When he does I will bring it over and talk to them about a blood test and have them re evaluate Perry.
He seems to be doing a bit better. He is basking again and is lifting his head. I put him in a smaller viv so I can change and sanitize everything easier. He seems to be fairly content in there. His eyes still seem sunken even though he is getting enough hyration. He is on carnivore care which is mixed with water and I give him about 2 cc's of water after I finish feeding him (about 3 x per day). He still has not pooped but I assume that is because he has not had much to poop out. I am more hopeful that he will pull through. :D
Thanks again for all your help!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Good that Perry is looking a little bit more perkier today. I am glad to hear that he took some oral fluids, as well.
I think it is important to get a baseline bloodtest done, to see if there is any kidney dsyfunction able to be seen on the test itself.
Good luck getting a fecal out of him.
Perhaps he was just extremely dehydrated, & they mistook that as renal failure. It is a possibility.
Do try to get at least 6+ cc's of oral fluids into him daily, just to be sure he is getting proper fluids in case his kidneys are having a hard time. If his eyes are still looking a little sunken in, then he does need more fluids. Are you using pedialyte mixed with any water?
We will hopefully get him much better here real soon.

Tracie

dreshany

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Perry took a turn for the worse tonight, I am scared he wont make it through the night. He is totally lifeless and just lays there with his eyes closed, he wont even lift his head. He took his meds today and I got about 5cc's of carnivore care and about 5cc of water but I didn't want to stress him out any more than necessary. Good idea, I will pick up some pedialyte tomorrow. I think I will take him back into the vet in the morning and get that blood work done, if he is still with us. I am not sure what else they can do, but I want to try everything possible. Poor little guy, he just seems so lifeless. :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom