MITES? NEED HELP ASAP PLEASE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AprilMayJune

Hatchling Member
So, this is the situation. My son (9) was at his dad's last weekend. He came home Sunday and on Monday he had a bit of a rash. We thought nothing of it, put some cortizone cream on and gave him an allergy pill thinking it was an allergic reaction to the soaps used there. Well, did I not just get a phone call from his step-mom saying that his step-siblings had scabies! YIKES!!

Can Beardies contact this? Scabies is a mite that burrows under the skin, in case those of you didn't know what it was. Should we take the Beardies in to the vet for treatment? Could the Beardies have had mites and possibly passed them on to myself and the kids? I'm so frantic right now, I don't know what to do. I'm taking my son to the doctor to get treatments for the whole family.

With this and Christmas soon coming, I don't know if I can afford a huge vet bill as well. I called before knowing this scabies thing to get a fecal done on both our Beardies because they are acting like they want to brumate and she said the fecal alone is 35.00 bucks each!!

Please, please, I don't know what to do anymore other than get to the doctor for my son and do laundry for the next hundred hours! Yes, we must launder EVERYTHING clean or dirty, bedding, for 2 adults, 2 children and one teenager and tweo Beardies. HELP PLEASE!!

nikkicostello89

Sub-Adult Member
I don't know whether it can be passed from beardie to human/human to beardie.

However i also saw the scabies ad in the google bar below your post, and think it's highly ironic!!

Nikki

AprilMayJune

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Just got back from the doctors. She said that the scabies only like human blood. So sad for my son and the rest of us here, but good news for the Beardies. That panic is solved. Thanks for the link, as I will be researching this quite a bit while doing laundry and steam cleaning everything! This isn't something I would wish on anyone, but am glad the beardies are safe from contacting it. I really couldn't afford the meds especially after spending $150 at walmart for medication and cleaning supplies. I didn't even pick up any gifts for Christmas while we were there.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You are correct, bearded dragons do not get scabies. They can get mites, but it is highly unlikely that the mites would pass to humans.
I am glad your dragons do not have mites though they can be rather annoying & difficult to get rid of too!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom