Oh God Sprocket Swallowed a Piece of Eye Dropper!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpacelySprocket

Hatchling Member
Help, I'm kind of freaking out!!! Sprocket bite off and swallowed a piece of a plastic eye dropper and I don't know what to do. He seems fine, not bothered at all about it, but I'm worried about what it might be doing to his insides!!! What should I do?

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
This isn't the first time they've eaten something that isn't food. One ate a piece of a glass dropper. Another ate a piece of sea shell. Still another ate a white rock.

How big was the piece?

All I can suggest, and this is just from reading these stories I just mentioned, is to keep track of his poop. I know this sounds gross, but just examine his poop for a few days for the piece of plastic comes out the other end.

SpacelySprocket

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
It was a fairly small piece, at max it was maybe a 1/4 of an inches? It wasn't jagged at all, but it did snap at an angle (not straight across) so one side of the piece might be a bit pointy.

I feel terrible. Sprocket never drinks any water, even when it the bath, unless I drip it on his nose with an eye dropper... he's never bit the dropper before!

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
He'll probably be OK. As beardie parents said, this isn't the first time it's happened! It's a small piece and not pointy all over, so he'll likely pass it on his own. Have fun digging through his poop! :D

HowlinGaleDragon

Sub-Adult Member
Retired Moderator
Well it's small enough to pass I'd keep a close eye on him watch for signs of stress or trouble passing poop. You can give him some Cod Liver Oil that's what I use I found it to work better then Olive Oil or Mineral Oil you can get it a Pharamacy or a 24 Hour Tops in thier Pharamacy Department. Give him .5 CC's then wait an hour or so give him a warm bath see if he poops if not give him another .5 CC and let him be for the night and see what happens I've had Cod Liver Oil clear up a nasty impaction case in a matter of hours.

SpacelySprocket

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok so I gave him a little olive oil (its all I had on hand) and a long warm bath. No poop though. I'm not surprised though, he already went once this morning and he doesn't usually go more than once a day or even just every other day.

I'll give him another bath in the morning if it doesn't pass I'll get some cod liver oil and try that. If all else fails I'll take him to the vet. Any suggestions as to how long I should wait to see if it passes on its own before calling the vet?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, as suggested, I would use soft foods such as sugar free canned pumpkin, squash babyfood, sugar free applesauce mixed in together with a little bit of olive or mineral oil to help push through an impaction or an object.
I would let him have a stool first to see if it passes on the first stool. If it has not passed within 3 days, I would go ahead & take him to the vet for an x-ray to see where the object is placed & if there is anything else that can be done. I would hate for it to get lodged sideways to where it gets stuck & cannot pass.
Does he appear to be experiencing any discomfort at all?
The bathing definitely helps as well. Please keep us posted on him.

Tracie

SpacelySprocket

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi Tracie,

I have some baby food squash I can give him, then tomorrow (its too late where I am to go to the store tonight) I'll get some more and some mineral or cod liver oil.

On the bright side, he's never had any problems with impaction or pooping regularly. And he's full grown now, so hopefully that will help (I remember reading some where that when they are younger their digestive track doesn't pass things as well, thus why they're not supposed to have superworms until a certain age).

He doesn't seem to be in any discomfort at all, and I've been keeping a close eye on him. When it happened he just looked at me like, yum can I have some more? Then he was running around trying to escape his bath! He basked for a bit after the bath and now he's under his log sleeping (his lights are out, its 10pm here).

I'll keep you guys posted on how it goes, thanks for all the advice!

Denise Bushnell (RIP)

Juvie Member
Retired Moderator
I wouldn't worry too much about it.....he'll probably pass it with no problem, although it may take some time. Unless he stops pooping, starts passing blood in his stool, or starts acting like he's in pain, I wouldn't rush him off to the vets. There isn't actually anything they can do for him, other than take an X-ray to tell you where it is, or remove it surgically, which most vets won't do unless its a life threatening situation, which isn't very likely with something so small.

Try not to worry too much....... All three of mine have done it, in fact Mingie's done it twice (the little brat), and none of them are any worse for wear. It worried me far more than it bothered any ofthem! LOL They can be little buggers when they don't want something in their mouths, or when they're being little piggies about eating something!!

There are some things that you can do, however, to help them to pass it. First of all, stop feeding them anything that may be difficult to digest, such as Superworms or Crickets. You want to load them up with anything that has a lot of fiber in it, as that will surround the piece of plastic and make it easier for him to pass without doing any damage to his insides. Raw, grated Butternut Squash (or any other type of squash) is a good choice, and most of them like it. Another good choice is raw peeled apple, as that also has a lot of fiber in it, and it also has the added advantage of promoting frequent bowel movesments. You can also give him a few drops of Mineral Oil or Olive Oil every morning, which will help to slick things up in there and make it easier for him to pass. Give him frequent warm soaks for 20-30 minutes to promote frequent bowel movements, and keep him well hydrated, and you can give him some very warm applesauce just before bathing him.

Try not to worry too much....believe it or not, most things that they manage to put in one end usually do come out the other, given enough time! :D This will probably bother you much more than its bothering him! LOL Also, give it some time to work through there. The fastest that any of mine passed something was 8 days, and the longest period of time was about three weeks. When he goes to the bathroom, use a couple of popsicle sticks to go through his poop, so you can tell when he passes it.

Just for future reference, I would stop using an eyedropper to feed him anything. The safest thing to do is to purchase plastic syringes (the type that allows you to put a needle on the end of it), and use a pair wire cutters to shorten the end of them before using them. Leave just enough of the end on them to allow you to work the syringe between his lips, but not enough that he can get his teeth into it. Then use a nail file or emery board to smooth off the sharp edges before using it. Syringes that I've modified like that are the only thing that I'll put in any of mine's mouths, and since I've been doing that, I've had no more problems with their swallowing things. There is no way that you can keep them from biting things that you need to put into their mouth, so you just have to learn to outsmart them!

SpacelySprocket

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Update on Sprocket:

No poop yet... but still acting normally, doesn't appear to be in any discomfort. Gave him some more olive oil and some butternut squash baby food. He also ate some greens and a little bit of apple (though he did seem to like it and wouldn't eat anymore).

Gave him a nice long warm bath and he did go to the bathroom, but it was just the white part (urates is that what its called?). Still keeping a close eye on him, and I'll keep you guys posted! Thanks again for the help!

SpacelySprocket

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Second Sprocket Update:

Still no signs of the piece of plastic... but he did have a nice big poop today in his morning bath, so at least I know things are still moving in there.

Also, he is still acting normally and full of energy. Now that the weekend is over I've had to go back to work and leave him home during the day. But I gave him a nice long bath before I left this morning and left him with a variety of fiber packed foods to choose from (squash, apple, greens). I've held off giving him any crickets or superworms for now (normally he gets a variety of bugs, but with the cold weather hitting it'll be harder and harder to get other kinds shipped to me).

I'm hoping it passes soon so I can stop worrying!

SpacelySprocket

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Another Sprocket Update:

He's still acting totally normal, no signs of distress or discomfort. He has poop 3 times since he swallowed the piece of plastic, but still no sign of it (and I've been looking, ick!).

Still holding off on giving him crickets or superworms, just sticking to the veggies for now. I always offer him veggies everyday anyway, so that's nothing new. I've tried just about everything from that beautiful dragon's list of good foods, but he's really picky. He'll eat collard greens and arugula/rocket and butternut squash (but not shredded, it has to be puree so I have to blend it or buy the baby food kind). That's it! He won't touch anything else except for a blueberry every once in a while in the summer. Silly picky beardie!

Hopefully he'll pass it soon so I can stop worrying about him!

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
Well, it's good that he's not showing any signs of discomfort. I would think that if it was going to hurt him it would happen by now. Every time I see a new post on this thread I rush to read it, hoping that Sprocket has finally pooped out that darn plastic! Maybe next time. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom