new light bulbs are wrong type?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubes08

hi guys im away on holiday and my sister is looking after my ruby.....she's well looked after with leaf's etc and crickets but the red light bulb has just packed up.....lucky enough i had two new bulbs that she went to put in only to find the ends are the wrong sort to the one in the vivarium......bakc at home the time is half8 at night so the pet stores will be closed. her lights will be off and she'll be on a heat mat till the morning. but she will be without the red light for approx 4 hours......could i get her to use a low watt normal bulb or will the bulb be to bright for my ruby.....

hope this explains it and anybody that can help will be great many thanks

ryan

zimbabwepegasus

Extreme Poster
Beardies don't need heat at night unless temps get below 65. Most of us shy away from red lights as some beardies have trouble sleeping with the red light. So IMO, she's more than fine and don't bother replaced the red light.

While we're on heating... watch it with the undertank heater. Those puppies can get HOT. And beardies don't really do as well with belly heat as with overhead. If you haven't already I would set up a basking spot off the ground (either with a log or rocks, etc) and make sure that's temping at 100-110- that's entirely in your control. I've found that all my snakes' undertank heaters fluctuate a lot without being hooked up to thermostats.

rubes08

Original Poster
thanks for that.....the mat i have got her is under a big tile and tile gets nicely warm where she stays at night the red light and the strope light goes off at night and come on in the morning so she has complete darkness in night.......i couldnt sleep with it on lol.......but its jsut in the day i dont think she'll get enought heat and i live in the uk so abit cooler there.......can i use a 60watt houshold bulb jsut as a temp measure or just incase not bother with a bulb until get one which will be 4hours apporx before new one installed.==

thanks

peera

Sub-Adult Member
A 60 watt household bulb is fine, and actually better as a permenent bulb than the red bulb.

rubes08

Original Poster
really how come....will it not be to bright......and will it give out enought heat?

i thought the red ones dull the shine alittle but if not then i could use a standard one that'l be good.

thanks

ryan

peera

Sub-Adult Member
My littlest girl has a 60w bulb on her plus her UVB and it keeps the temps perfect. There's no reason it would be to bright... They live in the dessert in the wild, a 60w bulb is nothing compared to that!
As for the whys, there are other people around here more versed than I am, but I imagine the answer is that by itself as a day bulb, it's not nearly bright enough and would make them strain their eyes.

rubes08

Original Poster
brilliant, i have a low energy one 60w so that should be fin her strope light that uvb is still strong ad quite new.....her heat mat is good so if use that bulb and jsut keep eye on temp all should be well?

manythanks once again wasworried as it nearly 1degree back in uk.

thanks

ryan

zimbabwepegasus

Extreme Poster
Don't know how they work in the UK- but in the US, the low energy bulbs don't produce heat. That's how they save energy. :roll:

Regardless of what wattage bulb you decide to use, you need to be temping it to make sure it stays consistent and is the right bulb for your environment. I live in OR, only one state south of where Peera is, and I can't use a 60w, they wouldn't heat either of my enclosures sufficiently. It all depends on the temp of the room and the ventilation in your tank.

I would strongly consider getting rid of the heat mat. They are much better for snakes or leo geckos or other belly heat seeking animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom