Our beardie prolapsed again

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has been about 2 weeks since I posted here about Charley, our 6 month old Beardie who had a bad prolapsed rectum. We have been feeding him a special diet until last night. We gave him two crickets to try, and tonight he prolapsed again. We are going to take him to the emergency pet vet tonight to see if they can repair the prolapse.

Does anyone have experience with this re-occurring? What is the usual prognosis?

Thanks! Stephanie

blondie098

Gray-bearded Member
bumping it up ~-

Hopefully someone who knows will come along soon -- I'm sorry you're little guy is sick, I hope he heals soon!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I do remember your initial post. I just read over it. I missed posting on it though, but it looked like you got him to the vet quickly.
Did he just "push" it back in? Unfortunately, alot of times, once they prolapse, they will prolapse again, depending on the original problem that caused it to happen in the first place.
I believe that they will need to go in & stitch it up this time, for it to stay put.
Please do not feed any whole foods right now, as the chitin is apparently still too much for him. Stick with the carnivore care if you still have some. If not, get some more when you take him back in. Did he do well on the worms, or did you get any worms, or just use the carnivore care?
Now, we need to figure out what is going on & why he continues to prolapse again.
There are several reasons as to why he could be prolapsing. Let's go over your tank setup to see if we can figure it out.
You do have paper towels in the tank for the substrate, correct? Was he impacted prior to that on loose substrate possibly?
What type & brand of UVB light are you using, is it a flourescent tube bulb or a compact or coil light?
What type of calcium supplement are you using? Since he is over 6 months old now, he still is going to need calcium 5 times per week, so if you are not giving enough calcium that can be one culprit. The type of UVB is very important.
If he does not have adequate UVB exposure, he cannot properly absorb calcium. That problem lies in the GI tract because the smooth muscles of the GI tract operate & contract due to calcium ions. If he is hypocalcemic, then that can cause those muscles to have to work too hard or he will have to strain too hard which will cause a prolapse.
Other problems & complications can arise from heavy loads of worms or parasites, so, try to get a fecal done on him as well.
Also, if his urates are hard, then he is dehydrated, which is another culprit that is common as well. What do his urates look like, are they hard, or soft? Has he had any blood in his stools that you have noticed?
Let us know how he is doing. Are you getting him to the vet on monday?
How badly did it prolapse again? Go ahead & do the concentrated sugar water soaking along with the KY jelly until you can get him to the vet. Remember, that the sugar water needs to be cool, but not cold.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom