swallowed a ball bearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabbit

My beardie swallowed a 1/2 inch ball bearing yesterday. I can feel it in her lower abdomen. Her belly is distended and hard and she looks very uncomfortable. Any suggestions? Is it possible to pass it? Is it even possible to get through the digestive tract?

dreshany

Hatchling Member
I would take her to the vet. You might try giving her a little olive oil, that could coat the bearing and allow it to pass easier.

wizbee

Juvie Member
Boga swallowed a air soft bb but that is much smaller than 1/2" . She passed it ok.
I vote for the vet.
Good Luck

Rabbit

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. The vet said that surgery is the only thing he can think of and he did not give me a quote, because it is an exotic animal and he won't know how long it will take, how much anaesthesia, etc.
She is actually looking better than yesterday, more alert and active, but the ball hasn't moved. I have been giving her very warm baths, and her tummy does get soft, and I have been trying to give her olive oil in mashed bananas (thanks for the tip) but not very successfully. I'm about to try giving it to her with a syringe. She doesn't seem to be bothered when I gently move the ball in her belly, trying to dislodge it if it is stuck.
I greatly appreciate the comments and support.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Hm, I am not sure if that will pass or not. When did this happen?
I would definitely start with the soft foods such as sugar free applesauce, squash babyfood, & or sugar free pumpkin along with a drop or two of olive oil. I think though that mineral oil may coat it better than olive oil.
You could get an x-ray which would show the exact placement of the object. It is possible that it could pass, but you just never know. Has she gone to the bathroom at all? Is she able to pass any stools right now?
Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

Rabbit

Original Poster
We tried prying her mouth open to give her some olive oil, but as she was struggling she threw up! Now her eyes are quite sunken. She did get some olive oil into her. The ball bearing being so heavy is probably taking its toll on her. She's not interested in any kind of food. Is there a way to put her out of her misery without taking her to the vet for euthanasia? Like aspirin or something?

wizbee

Juvie Member
OMG Please don't give up so easily. The poor thing, if she is in pain please don't try to poison it with asprin.

nesta's mommy

Sub-Adult Member
you don't need to bring her to the vet to have her put down! you need to bring her so the vet can inspect and then maybe be able to take/get it out somehow.

please don't give up and don't try to drug your dragon with asprin,

how's she doin today?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You really do need to give her a chance & take her to the vet to determine the placement of the object. Otherwise, she will just suffer needlessly.
Do try to get some food into her, if at all possible, the soft foods. Be very careful giving straight oil as she could aspirate that into her lungs.
Don't give up on her, & please do not give her aspirin, either.

Tracie

nesta's mommy

Sub-Adult Member
Rabbit,

any new news on your girl? any quote from the vet? where are you located? other members may be able to help through the vet they go through.

Rabbit

Original Poster
The vet quote is $500. I don't have it. She drank today in the bath, but that is all she has ingested. According to some diagrams I found on the internet, I believe it to still be lodged in her stomache, I do not think it has passed into her intestines. She is dying. She is barely conscious anymore. I am really having a hard time with this. I can't stand to see her like this. Is there nothing to ease her discomfort? Any suggestions at all??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom