eye infection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

simulacra

I realize that similar topics have been posted on these and other forums before, but I don't think I'm being redundant, because all cases are different, and I'm going to provide the particular details relevant for my animal—it could be something entirely different from what is determined in other such posts.

to start with, I'm not sure how old the bearded dragon I have is. I've had it for roughly eight months, and it was probably two or three months old when it was acquired, though I'm no expert on aging lizards; I think it was around 8-10 (~25cm) inches in total length around then. it is now hovering around 15 - 15.5 inches (~38cm), and I don't know its weight. its environment is currently a small 20 gallon aquarium, which I have been meaning to change to a 40 gallon "breeder" for some time, and intend to do so very soon; the tank it's in now was mostly intended for the dragon when it was younger and growing (it surely has outgrown it now). unfortunately, its substrate currently is crushed walnut shells, which I know are not digestable, and that is a bad thing. I plan to switch it out for heavily sifted and filtered play sand (or "reptile carpet," whatever) very soon. however, I haven't noticed any problems to this point (which doesn't mean there aren't any), and I'm fairly certain there hasn't been any [significant] impaction. the lizard did, for a while, start going to the bathroom more infrequently than usual (on the period of a few days), but it did not have trouble doing so when it did, and it would response to inducement, afforded with warm baths.

that problem was of some concern to me, but it seemed to have been mitigated nearly entirely by the recent addition of UVB lighting. formerly, I only had the full-spectrum (white) heat/basking lamp, which, if I recall correctly, is a ReptiGlo 75W incandescent. his appetite for greens had also faltered (favoring crickets and phoenix worms instead, and he also began eating less crickets than normal) alongside his bathroom shyness, and that dramatically increased in the mere one week I've had the UVB source. the bulb is a ReptiSun 5.0, which is a 26W CFL with 5% UVB and 30% UVA output. I've seen these widely recommended, and, though I'm skeptical of popular accounts and "wisdom," I don't expect that these bulbs are all that bad. it seemed to be a good addition to the environment. soon after, the lizard began eating romaine lettuce as it used to, its appetite for crickets had seemingly increased back to the point it used to be, and its overally energy was greater. however, just a day ago, he started closing his left eye. I'm unsure whether his right eye also is affected, for he seems to close it occasionally, but that may just be because he's tired or feeling down. he now keeps the left closed for long periods of time, on the other hand, though he is able to open it (and does, when moving, being handled, or hunting, for instance). it does not look visibly swollen, compared to the normal eye, but it is slightly discolored, and it seems somewhat sensitive to the touch. I've administered eye drops and chopped some carrots up to put into its lettuce dish, in case of a vitamin deficiency. luckily I've noticed the problem very early, so I think it may be possible that the dragon won't have to suffer for long if I can do what is necessary to set it right.

being somewhat knowledgeable of general science (I am not a scientist, but I read popular science accounts and so on), I'm aware of the dangers of UV to the eyes of mammals as well as reptiles. the recommendations that came with the ReptiGlo light mentioned spacing relative to the basking spot. I have since stopped using the ReptiGlo, in case that might be the cause of his malady, but I'd had it approximately 10 inches (25cm) above the floor of his enclosure, with screen top. the booklet says that screen tops manage to block a lot of the UV, but this is not a particularly fine-mesh; the gratings are probably a couple of millimeters apart. it also mentioned a burn-in period for the lamp, wherein output is increased. it is possible, then, that I should move the lamp to a greater height. presently, however, I intend to leave it off until the lizard's conditions improve.

the dragon seems otherwise healthy, and is eating normal amounts (as effected by the new UV source). it is normally fed crickets, dusted a couple of times per week (currently with Tetra Fauna), and given a dish of romaine lettuce. I let it sit in a pan of water one or two times per week also, and keep a water dish in its enclosure near the heat lamp to keep humidity up. I know that its environment is not exactly ideal, but I'm not sure if that's been conducive to the problem (though it could be that the lizard's eye was irritated by a walnut shell; those things are nasty indeed) moreso than the addition of the ReptiGlo bulb. I've been led to suspect this as a result of the timing. it actually has not even been a week yet. though the lizard's overall health from his prior condition has improved DRAMATICALLY, it now is exhibiting this eye problem, completely without precedent.

if you have any more suggestions or questions (I don't know if I can go to a veterinarian), let me know. thanks.

P.S. I might also mention that the bearded dragon in question is most likely a female, though it hasn't been 'expertly' sexed, and those things can be fairly ambiguous. it's a sandfire inland beared, and its beard is pretty smooth white except when displaying. I have checked its perianal glands, but I don't remember what I found. it was probably too young to determine when I did so. I use the words "he" or "his" for gender ambiguity.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, thanks for all of the information. I do however, need a bit more from you.
So you are using the Reptisun 5 flourescent tube bulb or a coil or compact light?
The Reptiglo basking light you are using is it a Sun Glo basking light, by Exo terra? If so, that is fine, no problem it is safe. However, if you are using a Reptiglo 10 flourescent tube bulb at too close of distances, then, that could be part of the eye problems. We do not recommend them right now, due to the low wavelength UVB that it emits. Personally, if she is having eye trouble, I would take the Reptiglo 10 flourescent or compact or coil out now. You can replace it with a Reptisun 10 flourescent tube bulb. That can be purchased from http://www.petmountain.com
The compacts or coils are just overall, not good lights at all. They put too much glare onto their eyes, & the UVB that they emit is uneven as well.
Where is the basking light placed, in relation to the UVB light? To better protect the eyes the basking light must be placed right beside the UVB to encourage basking & for her to be able to get UVB & heat at the same time.
What are you using to measure the temps with, a stick on thermometer, a digital probe or a temp gun? What are the temps?

Tracie

simulacra

Original Poster
I mentioned that I'm using a compact fluorescent (CFL). It would seem that I'm wrong about the basking light, however. The packaging says it's from ZOO MED, and it just says "REPTI BASKING Spot Lamp." I did take the ReptiGlo out (and it's a 5.0, not 10), which I also mentioned in my original post. What would be the advantage to using a tube bulb over a CFL, apart from light dispersion (how would that be any less harmful)?

The basking light is at one end of the tank, opposite the ReptiGlo light. As far as temperature goes, I thought about editing that into my post, but didn't. I don't currently know what the temperatures are, but I plan on getting a digital thermometer soon.

thanks.

simulacra

Original Poster
I'm posting a couple of pictures so you can see the dragon's condition as well as the bulbs I'm using.

IMG_2275.JPG

IMG_2276.JPG

there's a bit of glare and the resolution is low because I didn't have anywhere to host them right now. I'll find somewhere in a minute and edit.

Kazul

A compact/coil bulb, due to the build of the bulb, disperses the UVBs are differently than what they say the results in their tests are. It can cause a lot of problems. Some are burns to the eyes which would be why your baby is keeping it's eyes closed.

For example, I had a compact Repti-Glo 10.0 and it ended up emitting too little UVB and too much UVC, so my bearded dragon wasn't able to process the calcium and properly. She ended up being deficient in calcium and ended up having seizures.

If you want a little more info on compact/coils, try this link: http://www.uvguide.co.uk/index.htm It'll show you some of the problems that can arise by using them.

simulacra

Original Poster
I've uploaded the full-res (right click and View Image or whatever equivalent in your browser to get full size... or copy location then paste in the address bar) pictures in the above post, hosted on my own site (be generous). I'll have hosting soon (I'm running my own hosting provider), but right now all I've got is my home DSL.

thanks for the link, but what do you make of the vertical distance of the light? how important a factor is that? I will probably get a fluorescent tube soon. but since one of you mentioned close proximity between basking and UV source as ideal, what do you think of those mercury vapor all-in-one bulbs? and how long do you think it will take this lizard to heal, not knowing exactly the extent of the damage? I intend on providing him now with nothing but full-spectrum heat lighting, until better. I suspect his eyes are just irritated (in an earlier post I said that his eye looked discolored, but that turned out just to be the lighting), though there may be slight damage, but I caught it soon, so it may not take that long to heal.

I've since read this page: http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor-tests.htm and it was a very informative read. for those who are interested, it is not the type of bulb or fixture used that creates the problem, as one would expect, but the chemicals ionized in the bulb to produce light, as well as the coatings on the inside of the bulb, which effect higher frequency, cell-damaging UV (the same thing that can cause sunburn, cancer, and DNA mutations in humans). that's not a good thing. I will certainly look into replacing the ReptiSun 5.0 CFL I have with one of the listed, lower-cell-damaging-output fluorescent tubes or mercury vapor bulbs listed. which ones would you fellows recommend?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, so you have a Reptisun 5 compact, not a Reptiglo then. Those are not quite as bad as the 10's but still bad nonetheless as your girl is already having eye issues now. I was going to post that UK thread for you to read so great you have already done so.
You are correct, they did use the incorrect phototherapy phosphor on the bulb which allows the low wavelength frequency of UVB to penetrate through the improper glass that was used as well. That particular wavelength is not favorable for D3 synthesis which in the long run, will contribute to Metabolic Bone Disease.
The Reptisun 10 flourescent tube bulb is the best tube UVB you can get. If you want to get a mercury vapor bulb, the Megaray is the best, but the T-rex active UV heat is great as well. You can get the Megaray from http://www.reptileuv.com
You can get the T-rex active bulb from http://www.reptilesupply.com
Any of those are acceptable. However, since you only have a 20 gallon at the moment, the Reptisun 10 flourescent tube bulb would be better as the Mercury vapor bulbs are too strong for that small of a tank.

The distance from any coil or compact should be at least 12 inches from your dragon, for safety. It is imperative that the basking light be directly beside any UVB source unless you have a mercury vapor bulb. If you are going to use a flourescent tube bulb, the basking light needs to be right by the UVB source. It helps encourage basking since they can get heat & UVB in a focused area & it also protects the eyes due to the brightness factor affecting constriction of the pupil. So do try to readjust the lighting for optimal basking for him. On one end, create the hot spot & warmer areas, with the basking light & UVB source. On the other side, there should be a cooler area for her.
Definitely get a digital probe or a temp gun soon so you can figure out what the temps are, that is very important.
I agree, at the moment, only use the basking light & no UVB for at least 1-2 weeks until the eye irritation subsides. Hopefully you caught it in time. Usually, the more mild cases take several weeks to a month or so for full recovery.

Let us know how she is doing. Is she eating pretty well?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom