Bahamut's Back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone,

I recently decided to join the world of pet owners and decided bearded dragons would prolly suit me the best. I did my research and bought my enclosure. My set up is a 20 L tank with a 75 W basking lamp positioned over the basking rock on the left side of the tank. Over lapping that is the UVB bulb which is a ESU desert reptile bulb with 7% UVB output I also have an extra light fixture with a compact flo. light just to add extra light to the cool side of the cage. The basking rock also doubles for a warm side hide. I keep the temp at the basking spot about 95-100 degrees. His Food Consists of crickets supplemented with Zilla spray on Calcium and Vitamin spray. Also he is provided turnip greens and carrots(which he doesn't eat). But More To My point Bahamut seemed really healthy when i got him up till 2 days ago when he started hiding away in his hide all day. He was shedding at the time and i just thought he might be self concious. But when I removed him from the cage later i noticed his back seemed crooked; Almost and S shape. I am very concerned for little Bahamut. He is still a baby only about 10 inches long so i am hopeing someone can help me figure out whats wrong. Any Help Would be Much Appricatied.

wizbee

Juvie Member
Hello and welcome!
How long have you had this lizard? It sounds like maybe the UVB isn't one of the best you can choose which is very important for their growth.
Try to check out the caresheets on the top of the page.
I'm sure more folks will be around soon to help.

Judah'sHuman

Juvie Member
Hello!

Is the coil bulb that you have put out any form of UVA/UVB? If so, you will need to remove this asap. They are very dangerious because they put out inconsistant levles of UV, this can cause internal damage and Eye damage. If this is the case this is prolly why he is hiding out, to try and get away from it. Also, please tell us how you messure your temps. A digital thermometer with a prob is the best. Other types such as the stips etc can be up to 20 degs. off. You want your basking spot to be 100-105 otherwise food digestion can be poor.

In regards to the crooked back, it sound liek your guy is/has MBD you will need to get a liquid Calcium ASAP you can find some at Beautifuldragons.com called Calcium Glubionate (fruit flavored liquid)
This is the ultimate weapon to have in your arsenal for fighting MBD. You can alos get a very good list of foods to feed from this site, which will help give you an idea of items to feed especially if your are combating MBD. It coudl have been onset from the pet store your got him from. Alot of times they dont use the best lighting.

I am sorry I not framilar with your type of UV lighting. The best lighting you can get would be a Mercury Vapor bulb or a Reptasun 10.0 floresent tube. The Reptasun is the least expensive, the Merc is the best.

MetalMilitia

Original Poster
Thanks For the Help Judah that light was the reason he was hiding away and prolly the reason his back is all bent out of shape. I have started daily bathes with gentle physical therapy to help straighten his back. But Good News is Bahamut is back to being active watching Heroes listening to music Wavin' to the peeps. His appetite also seems to have increased. He never had a bad appetite but when i feed him today he ate almost 2 times as much as a normal morning.

Oh and to anwser your question i take the temps multiple time a day with an acurite wireless probe thermo. Heard they were pretty good picked it up at walmart for like 10 dollars I also use a strip and 2 analog thermos for an added amount of assurance that his cage is at the right temp.

Judah'sHuman

Juvie Member
Oh good so you took it out and he came out from hidding then? I would think the problem with his back started in the pet store, MBD is not something that can happen just in a short time. Try the Calcium I suggested as well it will help some of the problem. However, the crooked back my not be reversable. Alot of times with MBD the damage is done, but with high amounts of Calcium it will keep it from getting worse and causing more bone damage.

Good Good on the Prob thermometer :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom