Tiny white worm runing over beardie!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Utterly freaked.
Dex was sleeping on my chest and I saw her flick her head. I looked down and there was a TINY TINY TINY white worm crawling across her head (it was running inbetween the scales on her head. thats how teeny).
Ive checked all over her body and I cant find any more, so no chance of a picture.
I have inspected her recent bowel movement (delightful) and I couldnt see anything in there at all.

What on earth is this??????

Something thats been in her sand or something from the outside world???

I did have an issue with supers and mealies escaping from the dish and digging into the sand. I think it may have been a tiny mealie.

I keep Dex on sand and I sift it all with a fine fish net to clean, as well as always removing the sand around any bowel movement.
It has been a fair few weeks since I have replaced the sand.
Ive got rid of the lot but should I just replace it or should I ditch it completly?

Id prefere to keep Dex on sand as she is missing two claws and so when she is climbing she can be a bit clumsy and does tend to overestimate her acrobatic skills, so I like the sand as a buffer.
But if this is likely to have come from the sand and is likely to happen again I'll ditch it immediately.

Holly

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Evidently Dex is NOT a fan of paper towels.
When I put her back in her viv she was picking up her feet with a look of disgust and bearded the ground. She's now eyeing it suspiciously from her basking rock.

Poor girl.

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
Ethelia":24f9d said:
Evidently Dex is NOT a fan of paper towels.
When I put her back in her viv she was picking up her feet with a look of disgust and bearded the ground. She's now eyeing it suspiciously from her basking rock.

Poor girl.

Poor thing, doesnt like the way they feel on her feet.

I am sorry, I dont know what the tiny worm could be.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

If you have beetles that are laying eggs, then that could be an issue of tiny worms hatching out. Otherwise, it would have to be another type of worm.

Tracie

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Thanks.
I think this was the case as I dug out some of my old mealie boxes and noticed a couple of dead tiny worms.
It must have been when I was using my exo-terra feeding dish and the worms occationally escaped.
I thought id caught them all before they burrowed but obviously not.

I have new deep feeding dishes now so hopefully this wont happen again.

Im going to look into tiles tomorrow.
Dex refused to move off her basking rock all evening and started pacing back and forth on the rock. It took me 10 minutes to figure out that she wanted to get down but she was refusing to stand on the paper towels of DOOM. Madame permitted me to carry her to her sleeping box.
She is SO neglected :roll:

h0ndap0w3r

Sub-Adult Member
I might have had this same issue before, i moved a basking brick and saw a tiny white thing run across the brick. i then proceeded to smash it with my finger. . . I threw out the sand (shifted and washed play sand) grabbed the bag, and baked it at like 400* for about 30-045 mins, let it cool and placed the new sand in the tank. Im thinking it might have been something that got into the sand at home depot, or possibly a cricket egg that hatched and it was a tiny tiny pinhead that managed to hatch in the tank. This could be it mostly because i grabbed egg crates out of my feeding bin and shake them into my container that i feed out of.

i prob shouldnt have smashed it that way i could have figured it out.

zebedeepink

Sub-Adult Member
Ethelia":315e0 said:
Dex refused to move off her basking rock all evening and started pacing back and forth on the rock. It took me 10 minutes to figure out that she wanted to get down but she was refusing to stand on the paper towels of DOOM. Madame permitted me to carry her to her sleeping box.
She is SO neglected :roll:

Ha ha ha that is so funny :laughing6: you are so :whip: but aren't we all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom