My Beardi Is sick i need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its really tough to get to an ER for him, I just fed him and gave him some water and he threw everything up after he chuged down some water. Hes beed gagging ever since he keeps lifting his head and opening his mouth every so often and making a gagging type noise.

peera

Sub-Adult Member
It sounds like he's choking on water. How did you give it to him? Did you force feed it to him or did he drink it out of a dish or something? Try lifting him and tilting his head downwards. You need to get him to a vet ASAP, however, and not tomorrow, he may have aspirated some of it into his lungs.

Midnightdragon

Original Poster
He drinks out of a bowl and he doesnt drink often but he chugged it down today. After he threw it up it didnt look like he chewed he is making a gurgling sound but hasnt thrown up since the one time. Hes made these sounds once before after i put water in his dish. Could it be posible he swallowed sand? its the very small kind and used it for the last 2 years

peera

Sub-Adult Member
It's possible, but it doesn't sound like that's what caused this. You should take him off the sand though, it's an impaction risk. Just because he's been on it 2 years without incident doesn't make it safe, as you seem to be aware.

Midnightdragon

Original Poster
Yes of course I will def change the sand to chips. well he seems to have calmed down he isnt gasping or making any noises I know hes agittated and seems to be breathing a little heavily at times. as he trys to sleep ( i keep waking him)

peera

Sub-Adult Member
No loose substrates. Textured tile, paper towels, newspaper, or non-adhesive shelf liner.

peera

Sub-Adult Member
I'm unclear as to what you mean, could you post a picture? However, it seems like it would be difficult to keep sanitary, and might hurt his feet. Sanitation is one of the primary advantages to solid flooring, because you can just wipe up the poop and not worry about bacteria being harbored.

Midnightdragon

Original Poster
Idont have a picture cause I havent bought it. I dont want to put paper in there do to the fear of him eating it, but if I put the tile in there is it possible that the heat lamp ( about 95-110 degrees) will melt it?

peera

Sub-Adult Member
Not if you get marble or ceramic tile (It's fairly cheap at home improvement stores like Home Depot, Lowes, etc.) Tons of people use it and don't have any issues whatsoever.

Midnightdragon

Original Poster
Alright I will go down there tomarrow. Look thanks for helping me out I will make some changes from what you have suggested. I am going to keep a close eye on him for a few hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom