possible fungus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjaeschke

Our two smallest beardies have presented with a light pink to almost red spotting all over their bodies. It flakes off when touched and does not seem painful I can not find any info on the net any help?

cjaeschke

Original Poster
yeah def. not mites this is not phsically moving or alive it almost looks like red or pink play doh was rubbed on them

cjaeschke

Original Poster
they were on plain white repti calci sand and i have switched them to a mix of crushed walnut and millet like the rest of our beardies this is not the same consitency of the walnut or color i tried making the crushed walnut moist to see if that was it but it was not

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It might be coloring from both of those mixed together. How long have you been using those substrates & when did you notice the discolored skin? Since both the walnut shells and millet are impaction risks, you might want to consider switching to a solid substrate like non-adhesive shelf liner, paper towels, reptile carpet or slate tiles.

cjaeschke

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice on the substrate we shall give it a try the older guys might be harder to switch because they are so finiky but if its healthier then they will have to adjust I tried mixing them in moisture but no luck recreating whats on my babies its very much like a doughy substance it leaves a residue on the fingers when you rub it in between your fingers It flakes right off of their skin and it doesnt seem to be a part of thier skin its like its just sitting on them

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If they pooped on the substrates then rubbed their bellies on it, it may cause the residue that you're mentioning, it's hard to say without a picture. It's also hard to clean up all poop residue from loose substrates so there are also bacteria risks. If you can convince them, it would be safer and easier to clean too. So, the new substrates and residue started around the same time?

cjaeschke

Original Poster
no they have had the new substrates for about as month amd half now with a complete change every week and a daily cleaning of debry I noticed their bodies yesterday during "playtime"

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Could they have a log or hide that has a residue that could be coming off onto them or even a rock? You could just rub your hand across items in their tank. I had noticed that with a log I used, had to wash it then bake it but no more problem after that.

cjaeschke

Original Poster
o great idea i didnt think of that they have a climbing tree that may have some residue i soaked it before introducing it but didnt scrub it I will check it out thanks!

cjaeschke

Original Poster
any help? How do I erradicate this problem?? And how the heck did my beautiful young HEALTHY babies get mites? Is the room infested?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh gee, that was my first suspicion. You need to pick up some Betadine that you can find at a pharmacy and pour some in warm bath water so that it looks like weak tea, that will make the mites move to the head area where you can remove them. Some will actually drown in the water. The Betadine will also help soothe the mite bites but make sure the solution doesn't get into their eyes & that they don't drink it. Then you will have to remove the 2 substrates, remove all decor, use a diluted bleach solution, 10 parts water to 1 part bleach & wash everything down thoroughly. You will need to soak the wooden logs then bake in the oven on 350 degrees for about 45 min. Also thoroughly wash the rock & anything else that was in the tank. They probably got them from their log or even in one of the substrates. I suggest you place paper towels on the bottom of the tank for now then you can get something else later on.

You should do the Betadine baths 2 to 3 times a day and should clean the tank thoroughly more than once. Let us know how things go.

This gives more detailed info about mites: http://www.anapsid.org/mites.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom