RI or something else? - UPDATE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our beardie is almost a year old. He has been growing and thriving the 9 months we've had him. THe last week he has stopped eating and stays in one spot most of the day. He is my son's pet and I think he had some dehydration going on. I have been soaking him in wam water and he has been lapping up the water which is great. He's pooping fine, but when I pick him up he gets very agitated and he starts making this weird gasping noise and breathing funny. There is no mucus or dishcharge and his color is fine. Still not eating. I am taking him to the vet tomorrow, but I read somethign about his humidity. I am goign to check it in a minute, but how do you regulate the humidity ? Is it too late for him? We really love this little guy.
UPDATE:

We took him to the vet today and although the office claims to see exotic pets.. they really aren't that knowledgable in reptiles. However, out little guy thankfully pottied while we were there and they did a test on his poop and he has coccidia and nematodes. So they are treating him orally for that. I'm hoping this is all it is and he'll be back to normal in a few days!

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hi
Sorry your having issues with your beardie.So he only does this when you pick him up?How is he when he isnt held?Has he started eating again now that you started the bathing?Normally with an RI the symptoms would be present regardless of holding him or not.You said ther is no mucous,right?Is his breathing labored or is he gaping alot?As for humidity they do usually self regulate when the temps are where they are supposed to be.What type of set up do you have and what are his temps?How are you measuring them?

nickslizard

Original Poster
His breathing is labored at times, not all the time. We have a digital probe thermometer with humidity as well. It said the humidity was 56% just now. He is in a 4x2x2 wooden enclosure with plexi doors and vents. We have a strip light with a Reptiglo 10.0 for UVB. He can get to within about 6" - 8" from it. We have a 90watt halogen flood light on one side that he basks under for heat and I measured the temp around 110 today. On the other side we have a regular household bulb for light and the other side was around 85 degrees. He has a tile floor, driftwood and a bowl of salad in his cage. There is no mucous. He wont eat anything. He lays on his log just out of the sunny spot and stays there all day.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
nickslizard":e7f8a said:
His breathing is labored at times, not all the time. We have a digital probe thermometer with humidity as well. It said the humidity was 56% just now. He is in a 4x2x2 wooden enclosure with plexi doors and vents. We have a strip light with a Reptiglo 10.0 for UVB. He can get to within about 6" - 8" from it. We have a 90watt halogen flood light on one side that he basks under for heat and I measured the temp around 110 today. On the other side we have a regular household bulb for light and the other side was around 85 degrees. He has a tile floor, driftwood and a bowl of salad in his cage. There is no mucous. He wont eat anything. He lays on his log just out of the sunny spot and stays there all day.
Strange that his humidity is so high.Those temps are actually slightly above the recommended temps so if anything the humidity would be lower.I actually know what I am about to suggest may be wierd but could you lower them about 5 degrees on both sides.He may be avoiding fully basking which could be leading to his issues.Also the reptiglo 10 is having some negative reports at the moment so it is recommended to not allow your beardie to get within 10 inches of it and make sure there is a bright white light beside it.Where is the viv located?What are the temps in the room right now?You could try putting a dehumidifier in the room to see if that helps.I also do recommend a vet visit.If it is RI its best to get him on meds ASAP.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How long have you had the Reptiglo 10 flourescent tube light at 6-8 inches from him? That can be a problem, as it is a hazardous light, especially that close. As suggested, make sure the halogen light is directly beside the UVB light & move that Reptiglo 10 to 10 inches from him.
Do you have a water dish in the tank?

Tracie

nickslizard

Original Poster
After looking at the Viv again I see the UVB is at least 10" away. We have had the bulb about 5 months so it's probably close to time for another. What light would you suggest other than that one if there have been problems with it? I need a tube light as the lights are built in. Anyway, the cage is located in the spare bedroom. I do think maybe the driftwood was to close to the heat light so I lowered it so he can still feel the warmth but not get too hot. I have only had a water dish in there the past couple days because I'd read that you can use it for him to soak in if he needs the water. My lights are setup like this Floodlight then about 4" away is the uVb and then 4" and then another Floodlight. They are built in so I can't move them very well. A praise though... tonight I tried to feed him his dusted crickets again though and he ate 20!!! It took him quite awhile before he even started, but he ate them! I did realize that we only have been using a multivitamin and not the calcium/d3 supplement. Oh, then after I put him back in his tank he ate a bit of his salad. yahoo! Oh, another thing. I noticed his breathing/squeaking has been a bit better. We're going to evaluate him in the morning. Do you think I could have been overreacting about the "breathing" and he could be brumating? Son wants to still take him to the vet just to be sure so we probably will.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hi
Well great that he ate!When you switch out the bulb the best one to get is the reptisun 10.0.Thats the best flourescent you can get.I do think you should still get him to the vet if there is even a question something is wrong with him.While brumation is possible that wouldnt affect his breathing and he is a tad young for it though its still possible.If he is even remotely ill you dont want him in brumation.See what happens when you adjust the temps,lower the basking area and start him on the calcium because that has an effect as well.If you do take him to the vet be very careful on the meds they give as they are very harsh most especially one called ivermectin, its often mistakenly given by vets for reptiles and its actually meant for cattle and it will make him very ill.

nickslizard

Original Poster
Thanks for the heads up on the meds.... So the Reptisun is ok, but not the Reptiglo? I honestly don't remember which I have.. I have the Reptisun for my turtles. I check the beardie's tank and see, I can't remember. Thanks!

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Yes the Reptisun 10.0 is the best,the reptisun 5.0 is next and the reptiglo 8.0 was a good bulb but the reptiglo 10.0 is having the trouble right now.Keep me posted on his progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom