Bleeding from bottom??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our bearded dragon is 6 months old and he has a bloody tissue looking bubble sticking out from his bottom :( He has been eating fine, but he did not eat tonight. Help! We have no idea what is wrong or what we should do. He is in a 20 gallon long tank, his temps are good, and we changed him abouot 3 weeks ago to play sand for his substrate. I am worried that the sand my be his problem. Do we need to take him to the vet tonight?

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Yes I agree it sounds like a prolapse.You need to soak him in some cool sugar solution water right away.Hopefully this will help it go back in but if it doesnt you need to get him to the vet asap.After you soak you will need to keep the area from drying out so put some ky jelly or vaseline on it to keep it moist.What type of substrate is he on?If you have any substrate thats loose in your tank you will need to remove it and replace it with papertowels.If loose substrate gets on it it could do even more damage.A picture would ve helpful so we can make sure thats what this is.When was the last time he pooped?

redwagondriver

Original Poster
Here is a picture. This looks really bad to me. I cannot see how this thing is going to go back in :( I am worried sick about him.

Picture.jpg

redwagondriver

Original Poster
and just to be clear, we are soaking him in cool sugar water now and we will put some k/y on it for night time. Do I need to put his heat lamps back on him for a while before bed, or do we just put him to bed cool from the water? I will take him to the vet as soon as i can in the morning. If the prolapse is too big, will he have to be put to sleep?

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
You really should take his sand out and put him on paper towels. If he gets any sand on his prolapse it will cause a bigger problem in the long run. The best thing you can do at this point is see if the soaking helps and take him to the vet first thing in the morning like you said. I don't know what the vet will do about the prolapse.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Ok first yes soak him in the sugar water(20 minutes) but you can put him back to bask as needed but make sure to apply some KY or vaseline.The key is to keep it moist.If it doesnt go back in on its own keep it clean moist and you can repeat the sugar water solution.The sugar water is meant to shrink it so that it will slip back in.Also as Mystick said you must remove any loose substrate from the tank.As for prognosis that looks like it just happened today so as long as you keep it moist and free of dirt/sand and get him to the vet tomorrow then the prognosis is good.Generally they either try to push it back in and stitch it or if its too far gone surgery may be needed.Its also key to go through your husbandry and set up to try and figure out why it happened and to minimize the chances of it happening again.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Sorry just saw your last post about the papertowels also make sure the sugar concentration is pretty heavy in the water.The sugar is meant to draw out the fluids and reduce swelling.

fonzie001

vickson420":21617 said:
Ok first yes soak him in the sugar water(20 minutes) but you can put him back to bask as needed but make sure to apply some KY or vaseline.The key is to keep it moist.If it doesnt go back in on its own keep it clean moist and you can repeat the sugar water solution.The sugar water is meant to shrink it so that it will slip back in.Also as Mystick said you must remove any loose substrate from the tank.As for prognosis that looks like it just happened today so as long as you keep it moist and free of dirt/sand and get him to the vet tomorrow then the prognosis is good.Generally they either try to push it back in and stitch it or if its too far gone surgery may be needed.Its also key to go through your husbandry and set up to try and figure out why it happened and to minimize the chances of it happening again.

First off I want to say im sorry that your going through that... When any of my lil ones are sick or just not themselves I go crazy, so I kinda now what your going through, and im sorry. (VICKSON420) What usually causes a prolapse to happen? Im really interested in knowing.
Thanks'
Junior

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Junior,
Prolapses can be caused by alot of things.Some of the common things are impaction or difficulty pooping which is generally caused by low temps,inaapropriately sized/type feeders and/or partical substrates.It can also be cause by immature breeding especially with females but also possible in males,egg laying can cause this again especially if the female is too young.Sometimes the reason is inexplicable but in theory its caused to a loosening and swelling of cloacal walls and is usually the cloaca,hemipenis or even intestinal organs.

Redwagondriver,
Please keep us posted on how its going and I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

redwagondriver

Original Poster
We just called every emergecy night vet withini a 60 mile radius and none of them on call tonight treat beardies. Looks like he will have to wait until the morning. I just know he is so uncomfortable. It is awful!

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
redwagondriver":38e8d said:
We just called every emergecy night vet withini a 60 mile radius and none of them on call tonight treat beardies. Looks like he will have to wait until the morning. I just know he is so uncomfortable. It is awful!
Has the sugar water helped at all?Soak him again if need be.Did you find something to put on it to keep it moist(KY,Vaseline)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom