Bleeding from bottom??

Status
Not open for further replies.

atreyu917

Juvie Member
Prolapsed anuses can also be caused by dehydration, so I guess make sure she is getting enough water intake as well.

That pic looks horrible. I'll keep the little dragon in mind. I'm sure he'll be better before you know it.

redwagondriver

Original Poster
UPDATE--

We took Charley in to the vet this morning and the vet was able to push the prolapse back in with no problem. He said that the sugar water was the best thing we could have done for him, so thanks for that advice. He stayed at the vet all day today and he seems to be doing well. He is on a special diet of powdered nutrients and he is also on anti worm and antibiotic medicine. Hopefully everything will stay in and this won't happen again....he has had one succesful poop with no "slippage." :)

Thank you for all of your help!

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Oh thats good news I am glad to hear it.Hopefully this is the last time it happens.Did the vet give you any insight as to why it happened?

redwagondriver

Original Poster
The vet was really great and talked to us for a long time. He said he feels like it is usually a nutritonal issue when this happens. He said it may be from lack of calcium, intestinal worms (which he is being treated for.....he could not get a very big stool sample to test), or dehydration.

We are also going to keep him on paper towels for a while so that we can make sure he is not bleeding etc., and then we will probably move him back to reptile carpet until he is really a stable big adult. The sand is just not worth it for me.

He also said we only need to feed him 2-3 crickets/day for the next two weeks or so while he is on the special nutrient mix. He felt like the exoskeletons on the crickets may interfere with his digestion. I am going to order some Phoenix worms in a couple of weeks and try him on those for a while.

Poor Charley. He looked SO much better this afternoon when I went to get him at the vet though.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Yes thats what I was thinking.I think its a smart idea to keep him on solid substrate.There really is no need for sand especially with babies and juvies.I use non adhesive shelf liner and tile for my tanks even the adults.So what food is he feeding him critical care?I would agree alot of chitin is probably not a great idea while he is healing.BTW did he verify that he is a he for sure? Phoenix worms are great they are soft bodied and high in calcium,also silks,butters,horns are all good soft worms for him.What type of vitamins is he on?

redwagondriver

Original Poster
He/She (the vet still could not clarify!) is on a mixture of critical care and carnivore care. I am not sure about the vitamins....we keep them in my son's room and he is sound asleep right now :)

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
redwagondriver":ca575 said:
He/She (the vet still could not clarify!) is on a mixture of critical care and carnivore care. I am not sure about the vitamins....we keep them in my son's room and he is sound asleep right now :)
Well I am actually betting she so when you find out let me know :wink: The food hes giving is good for him right now.Let me know on the vitamins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom