Red Spots and Black Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabySmaug

I just got my second beardie today. His name is Smaug. ^_^'

However, I'm a little alarmed about tiny red spots sticking off of him (they don't move that I've noticed) and this black chaffed spot under (on?) his chin. I've enclosed pictures. Sorry if they are a little big - the red spots are hard to see on camera. The majority of them are in the black area under his chin and his belly.

Smaug1.jpg

Smaug22.jpg

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
Could the beard be retained shed? Is that a red spot over his eye? I don't know about the red spots (I've never heard of that problem), but the beard does look a little odd. I know that Taz has bearded before and it looked a little like that, but not so "patchy". Is it constantly black like that? What substrate is he/was he on? It looks like you may have him on sand, if so, please remove it and replace it with paper towels or non-adhesive shelf liner. If it's fungal, the sand is only making it worse as it harbors (sp?) bacteria and all other nasty things.
Sorry I'm just throwing out some ideas and "bumping" up your post.
Abi

LJean

Extreme Poster
I'm just not sure what the problem could be.
Is there a heat rock in his enclosure, or before you got him?

I hope someone who may be able to help will see this post soon.

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
The red looks like mites to me. The black area looks like he's just displaying his beard, or darkening up. Do you have him housed with your other beardie? What are the temps in it's tank?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That could be mites. Did you get any wood pieces from outside?
What type of UVB light are you using? Is it a flourescent tube light or a compact or coil light? I need the particular brand name that you are using, please.
Also, what type of basking light are you using, is it a bright white light or a colored light?
What type of substrate are you using?
The "chafed" looking area on his beard just means he is not feeling well or he is in distress. Their beard tends to turn black when they are stressed.

Tracie

BabySmaug

Original Poster
We haven't been able to get a UVB light (we're doing that today) and the pet store I "rescued" him from didn't have one on him either. He's got a basking light - I think it's a 50w, not sure brand name anymore. Came in a white box. >_>''

None of the wood pieces are from outside, it's just a pet log. He's not being housed with any other pet - he's the only one I've got now.

I just changed from the sand to paper towels because I worry for his tiny self to get impacted.

When I got him they said he was low on calcium and needed more lighting - so he probably isn't feeling very well. We're hoping to fix it today.

BabySmaug

Original Poster
Quick update:

We've confirmed Smaug has mites - and received some Mite-Off for him and the black spot under his chin is most definitely just his beard!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great, so it is mites huh? Ok, just bathe him in betadine but dilute the betadine. The mites should run up to the head area where you can remove them.
You will need to clean out the tank really well, also. Good you changed out the sand too & put in the paper towels. It is quite possible that the sand was infested with mites when you purchased it. I have talked with several people who had that same problem.
So it might be a good idea to throw the sand out altogether & use something else when you get this all taken care of.

Definitely get a UVB light. The Reptisun 10 flourescent tube is the best. You can get it from http://www.petmountain.com

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

BabySmaug

Original Poster
Drache613":7068d said:
Hello,

Great, so it is mites huh? Ok, just bathe him in betadine but dilute the betadine. The mites should run up to the head area where you can remove them.
You will need to clean out the tank really well, also. Good you changed out the sand too & put in the paper towels. It is quite possible that the sand was infested with mites when you purchased it. I have talked with several people who had that same problem.
So it might be a good idea to throw the sand out altogether & use something else when you get this all taken care of.

Definitely get a UVB light. The Reptisun 10 flourescent tube is the best. You can get it from http://www.petmountain.com

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

I don't know where to get betadine. But I did clean the tank out really well while he was having his first bath. He had the mites when I got him - they said he had been like that for a few days now. Hence rescuing my poor baby from the noobs >_<'

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Betadine is easy to find. Just look in the pharmacy section of the grocery store. Well, the mites could have been from the sand in the store, & then when you bought him, they were still attached to him.
I hope you get it all under control soon!

Tracie

BabySmaug

Original Poster
I will check in the morning when I get up.

How can I safely remove the mites without hurting him? Most of them already on his head are in his ear or around his eyes.

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
Oh, poor baby!
I think that if you can see them and grab them easily, just grab the ones you can. I've never had to deal with mites, though, so I'm not sure exactly how they "attach" to a beardie. I've read that when you're bathing them, the mites will run to their heads to escape the water. So, if the baby will let you and they aren't "attached" (sorry I just don't know about mites :oops: I think they just bury themselves between the scales, lay eggs, and all that nasty stuff ) gently pick them off of her. But it is usual for the mites to travel to their head during treatments to escape the water. Sorry I can't help more. Tracie or somebody who has dealt with this/knows how to will let you know exactly how to get the ones safely off his head and out of his ears.
Abi

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
Will he let you touch him easily? Or is he pretty "shy" still? The ones in the pic, close to his eye, can you get any of those? That's got to be so frustrating. You don't want to hurt him or stress him out anymore than he already is, but you want to help. I'll try to look around and find out how others got the ones off that traveled to their heads. It's a pretty bad case though, right (judging from the pics)? Is he looking any better?
Abi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom