Bearded Dragon infection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

My bearded dragon has an infection and my mom won't take him to the vet anymore since she thinks they will tell us the same thing we already know. He has lost 2 toes and his foot is swelling black. His other foot look's like it's not getting enough blood since it's really flat.

Here's a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thmSvmetm98

**Questions that need answers**

-Do I apply betadine ONLY if he has a minor cut?
-If antibiotics aren't working, what are my other options?
-Where can I find an antibiotic ointment/spray that can "help" with this?

kirby

Extreme Poster
i would spray or coat it in antiseptic stuff... not sure what you get in your country sorry.. bettadine (the red stuff?)

it looks like the tails will need to be amputated, at least partially. and maybe his leg... im not sure, im no vet. it looks serious tho..

take out all his substrate, scrub the enclosure with bleach:water (1:10) and all his ornaments, then wash over with clean water. let it dry and de-fume.. put only paper towel in as substrate, replace daily.. and scrub his ornaments..

he probably got the infection from minor bites (cagemates? at the store/breeder?) and it grew from a dirty vivarium..

he NEEDS the vet, or it will spread to his vital organs/spine.. perhaps go to a different reptile vet.

RoxasnRiku

Original Poster
Thanks..and so far the only close enough vet for exotics is in a town near us...which only has 1 vet for lizards. And that person only comes on Mondays...

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

What caused that, is he housed with another dragon or did he have retained shed??
You should get some neosporin or polysporin both are fine. He does need to see a vet, or the infection will spread & could kill him.
Definitely try to keep those areas as clean as possible.

Tracie

kirby

Extreme Poster
cn you get those medications? to clean the wounds.. did you remove his substrate/clean his viv?

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
It looks like it may have spread to his back...I can't tell from the video, but is his lower back becoming dark like his "knee"? Tell your mom he needs to get to another vet (I know it can be difficult to convince parents, but they are right...it's serious). I hope he gets better soon.
Abi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom