Giardiasis- UPDATE

Status
Not open for further replies.

LQDragons

Juvie Member
I had a fecal test done for Belle,3 1/2 month female, yesterday. Vet calls this morning & say's she has Giardiasis. What should I do?

today 12-12-08, had a fecal test done yesterday, all clear. :blob8: :blob5: :blob8: It the best news we've had in a while.
On a side note, Belle has doubled her body weight since the first test, she is 5 days shy of 5 months old & is 18" , 308 grams :mrgreen:

CalienteDragons

Hatchling Member
Hi John,

That is ikie :)
Make sure she is separated, the vet will prescribe a wormer to take care of it.. Not to freak you out or anything but it is contagious to humans..

So sanitize! Sanitize!

Heidi :)

LQDragons

Juvie Member
Original Poster
thanks , I've got to go get the meds right now. How could she have gotten this?, or maybe she came this way :?

LQDragons

Juvie Member
Original Poster
The vet gave us panacur, give 0.1cc once a day for 5 days, wait 7 days, repeat. Should I give her anything else, like acidophilus ?

CalienteDragons

Hatchling Member
I though for sure you would get Flagyl (Metronidazole) to treat Giardia, But hey i am not vet LOL

I would give her acidophilus and keep her hydrated, the meds can dehydrate her. Have fun! I hate having to medicate...

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Too bad she has Giardia. You can get it from water or from tainted greens, as well. Do you wash the greens well?
The panacur is not going to do any good for Giardia. The flagyl is what she needs. I would ask your vet about the drug because there is not need in using the wrong medicine.

Tracie

LQDragons

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Drache613":40e5c said:
Hello,

Too bad she has Giardia. You can get it from water or from tainted greens, as well. Do you wash the greens well?
The panacur is not going to do any good for Giardia. The flagyl is what she needs. I would ask your vet about the drug because there is not need in using the wrong medicine.

Tracie
Hi Tracie,
I just found this:

Fenbendazole (often abbreviated “FBZ”) is used in both large and small animals. In dogs, it is useful against roundworms, hookworms, and the more difficult to treat whipworms. It is effective against the Taenia species of tapeworm but not against the Common tapeworm, Dipylidium caninum. It is also effective against giardia (an intestinal protozoan which is contagious to both humans and pets) as well as several species of lungworm and even some flukes.

CalienteDragons

Hatchling Member
LOL I though the same thing so I also looked into and read that they have recently found panacur works on Giardia too. ( dont know how recent but more recent that to books i have read LOL)

LQDragons

Juvie Member
Original Poster
a little update, she is eating real well( PIG), poops are regular & look good, she is active and very playful :D and the best thing is she is a trooper when its time for her meds, she won't open her mouth, but she lets me do it, and she doesn't fight me or try to squirm away :shock:
She and I have really bonded in the last few days 8)

ashesc212

Sub-Adult Member
LQDragons":0cdf8 said:
a little update, she is eating real well( PIG), poops are regular & look good, she is active and very playful :D and the best thing is she is a trooper when its time for her meds, she won't open her mouth, but she lets me do it, and she doesn't fight me or try to squirm away :shock:
She and I have really bonded in the last few days 8)

Aww that's great! I hope she continues to get better. Be careful with your other pets too...we had a giardia outbreak in our house one year and it went from cat to cat in a circle. My vet said the ferrets and chins could also get it as well as my bf and I. Therefore, I imagine it can be transmitted from reptiles to mammals too...

Anyway, good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom