I dont think my beardie is getting enough UVB!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocco

I walked in my living room and saw my beardie at the highest part of his grapevine jungle, as close as he could get to the crappy ESU UVB linear fluorescent light as he could... and he was shaking like he was shivering. The tank on that side was 78 degrees though..... I read that spasms or twitches like that can be caused by not enough UVB light!

Help!

I dont think that the ESU UVB lamp is able to get any UVB down to where he is, right around 11" off the floor on his basking spot. I'm thinking about rushing out and getting a TREX MVB bulb. I have a Megaray I JUST ordered tonight, but i was told this problem is serious and I shouldnt even try to wait for the megaray.

zimbabwepegasus

Extreme Poster
I don't think that a week is going to make the difference...
If you've got the money, go ahead and buy the T-Rex (be forewarned, there are about $80 in a store) and just save the Megaray for next year.

How old is your beardie?
What size tank is he in?
How old is the ESU?
How close is it to where he normally hangs out?

Shakes are signs of quite serious metabolic bone disease and I would think it's unlikely without you having seen other signs. If he really climbed up a jungle vine.. I would lean toward he's okay....

Rocco

Original Poster
Phew, thanks for the reply. He is brand new to this house and only around 6-7 weeks old. The ESU is brand new... but I cant find a specs on it ANYWHERE as to the UVB output, or the maximum working range. We had the ESU on the cool side, so it wasnt over on the basking side where he usually was.... which was a mistake, we know. We have since (today) moved it back over to right above the basking spot. He is about 12 inches down, 4-5 inches to the left of the ESU light now when he basks. The UVB light wasn't aimed at his basking spot for probably around 2, maybe 2 and a half days.

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
Yeah, the ESU is a lousy bulb, unfortunately. But, since you have a Megaray on the way, everything will be all right. A week without UV won't be the end of the world for him. If it's warm where you are, you can take him out for some natural sunlight. If not, just wait for the Megaray to show up. You'll love the Megaray... it's easily the best UV bulb on the market!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom