Swollen Leg, previous injury causing problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirdydan

I've posted before, http://www.beardeddragon.org/forums...4253&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=swollen+leg, problem is back. Her leg is swollen, has been for about a week. It goes up and down. Swollen part is slightly yellowish and the previous injury looks like a small brown scab. She can still stand, run, and use it like normal, but it has swollen to like 3 times of normal size. She still has a normal appetite(such a pig :roll: ). The rest of her looks awesome. Her color is good, orange and white streaks in her face, and she sheds regularly. The leg has needed assistance shedding since the injury. Shed Ease hasn't helped at all(its for snakes). I was told to use vegetable/cooking oil from another dragon owner.

index.cfm

She was trying to go to sleep.

What ointments can I apply to treat it as in infection? What can I use to help her leg shed better? Vegetable oil okay for shedding problem?

Now its no longer a problem of money to take her to the vet but of time. I've been swamped at work, which is why the problem got worse in the first place.

BTW, I gave her buddy, the other dragon, to an in-law because two was too much to handle in the same cage and I can't maintain more than one. He is doing great.

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
Ouch, that looks painful. Do you have her on walnut shell? Those are not good to use in any case, but with an injury you really should put her on plain papertowels or non-adhesive shelf lines. Those small particles, (whatever they are) could be irritating her wound. I'd get her to a vet ASAP. An infection can take them down so quick. Hopefully one of our experts will come on and help.

Sandy H

amylee159

Gray-bearded Member
Oh wow! That looks painful. Is she walking ok on it? I hope someone here can give you some advice.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow that looks like it hurts quite a bit. I would highly suggest taking her to the vet for a bloodtest. It looks lke it is infected & that can be quite serious if it spreads any further.
Please keep us posted on her.

Tracie

dirdydan

Original Poster
Its been ongoing in that same spot, hasn't spread any. When I give her a bath, the swelling goes down immensely, but returns as soon as she dries back up. Is it still possible its caused by retained sheds? I'm really trying to take care of this from home because I just can't find time to take her to a vet. Its like a 1/100 chance I could find time off, and take her in.

I would really like to know if there is something I can put on her knee to moisturize and help it shed. Vegetable oil safe? Some other cream I could add, like hydrocortizone or petroleum jelly?

I really will try to find time to take her to the vet. Its been making her more cranky lately. Not mean, just a little cranky.

VtFlash

Take in to concideration i am no vet..... I have a three legged BD, she was returned to a store i work at she had an injury and her leg was removed..i adopted her about three weeks later i noticed it was that yellowish color you explained. I took her to the vets and they just had me rub on betidine (sp?) scrub. That helpped alot they said she must have scrapped it and it was to small for the eye to see. The yellowish color stayed for about 2 sheds but it was also died from the scrub color. Hope that helps till you can get it to the vets...strongly advised. Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LittleSofa
Top Bottom